X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for first 80mm EDF

What models would be recommended as good first 80mm edfs? I've had experience with 68mm- 70mm jets like the Habu 2 and Rebel 70.

(I'm not sure if this helps, but I had experience with bigger planes like the FMS 1400mm Zero and the Flightline Tigercat.)

I have read that the FW Avanti S is pretty decent. I have one but have yet to maiden it. I started with the 80mm A6 and as long as you keep the speed up in turns and regularly inspect the linkage setup in the tail (mine failed once and nearly failed again due to the pushrod bending at the clevis) it was a great first EDF IMO. If your comfortable flying a low-wing war bird and are able to land it decently 90% of the time either would probably be fine. Just have to remember to start your landing approach early enough for a go-around or two, especially on the first few flights.

Comment

The Tigercat is one of the easiest planes there is due to the amount of dihedral. The others you list, especially the Habu, mean you can probably handle any of the FW 80mm jets.

Comment

Another vote for the Avanti S. An amazing EDF to fly! It's my warm up bird. I fly it first on every flight day. It's a good looking plane, and it flies and lands amazing. Affordable as well...

Comment

Before there were more newer and better options for first time EDF's the 80mm Freewing F-86 Saber was the most recommended.

Comment

That was when the choices were the A-6, Mirage and F-5. There was also the 90mm F-18 and Eurofighter that Hobbylobby was selling under a different name.

The F-86 was, and still is, a wonderful plane.

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
            Before there were more newer and better options for first time EDF's the 80mm Freewing F-86 Saber was the most recommended.

Comment

I have the Hobby Eagle A3 Pro for my Avanti S 80mm edf and need suggestions where to put the settings in the 3 gain pots. I have not flown it yet, but the lines are about a third of the way towards the center, where the gyro settings were originally. Do I have to just put them all back in the middle for quicker responses? I have the panic button to right the plane in case of disorientation. Thank you for any suggestions.

Comment

I would still recommend the 80mm F-86. Just a fantastically nice plane to fly, and has such a great presence in the air. Even after all the new jet releases, it’s still one of my favorites.

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Avanti. It's a very easy to fly 80mm jet and it's not too hard to land which is the trickiest thing to flying jets. Depending on what your runway is like , grass or paved ,length width etc. make sure of a good approach, use flaps and don't bounce it. That's the biggest mistake most new jet pilots make. If you don't land smoothly be prepared to have landing gear issues. Be sure to use exponential on elevator and ailerons, I recommend 30 %. Have fun and once you get used to the speed you'll be addicted .

Comment

Thanks for the information SWOFLY, I will try and follow your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                      I would still recommend the 80mm F-86. Just a fantastically nice plane to fly, and has such a great presence in the air. Even after all the new jet releases, it’s still one of my favorites.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	North American F86 Sabre (2).JPG
Views:	648
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	185720

Ditto on the F86! That was my first 80mm. A little hairy at first, but it's a great glider and not too expensive. This is my F86 rendition... I also went with the Dynam Turbo jet too.

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	North American F86 Sabre (2).JPG
Views:	648
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	185720

Ditto on the F86! That was my first 80mm. A little hairy at first, but it's a great glider and not too expensive. This is my F86 rendition... I also went with the Dynam Turbo jet too.
                        Beautiful work! Looks awesome with the Marine scheme!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                          Beautiful work! Looks awesome with the Marine scheme!
                          I would recommend the L39 Albatros. Then the Avanti. I have both and love the Avanti but prefer the Albatros. Just flies a little better for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X