Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, Freewing warranty the first F-18. Got the new one Friday, just started to mess with it together. Comparing the bulletin pictures, this doesn't seem bad. While it's not good, I did take a small ca applicator tip and push as much foam tac as I could until it oozed out. After words, I though "why not use epxoy dummy.." Thoughts? Foam tac is still setting up.

Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
      Guys, I did take a small ca applicator tip and push as much foam tac as I could until it oozed out. After words, I though "why not use epxoy dummy.." Thoughts? Foam tac is still setting up.
      TG65, I have found that sometimes the "Foam-Tac" will soften some plastic parts if those are not exposed to air to evaporate the solvent. It takes as much as a couple of hours before it sets and I have no clue how long before it cures. Epoxy will attach itself to the foam, no doubt, though will it stay attached to the 'smooth' plastic under load? I think "Foam-Tac" is the call here and will use that if I have the same issue with the elevator mounts. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I used epoxy for mine and so far so good...But as LB says Foam-Tac would work well too.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I've really been sold on Hysol (Loctite 9460) lately for major repairs or for areas where I need a very strong bond. Works just like epoxy but has a long working time. It takes 24 hours to cure, but it works wonders and sticks to anything.

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            I've really been sold on Hysol (Loctite 9460) lately for major repairs or for areas where I need a very strong bond. Works just like epoxy but has a long working time. It takes 24 hours to cure, but it works wonders and sticks to anything.

We sell a version of this but from Master Builder. Masonry guys here on the east cost use it to fill concrete/mortar joints and achor down wedge bolts. Great stuff.

Figure the biggest paint in the butt is removing the old glue, I rather not take bracket out. This is, if the foam tac doesn't firm up like I want it/need it to.
            Planes
            -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
            -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Got some cool shots tonight as the sun was setting, just phone pics but you can see its light at first, then as the sun was setting, now the only thing left to do is paint my struts and maybe something about the blah cockpit.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                Guys, Freewing warranty the first F-18. Got the new one Friday, just started to mess with it together. Comparing the bulletin pictures, this doesn't seem bad. While it's not good, I did take a small ca applicator tip and push as much foam tac as I could until it oozed out. After words, I though "why not use epxoy dummy.." Thoughts? Foam tac is still setting up.

What running in some thin or medium CA glue? Would certainly run in there easier...

Comment

• Hey Guys,
                  Got my 3rd Hornet coming tomorrow (BA version) and I’d like to know if any of you BA pilots that have used minwax, have seen any gatoring from the added heat to the surface?

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    Got some cool shots tonight as the sun was setting, just phone pics but you can see its light at first, then as the sun was setting.
                    DC, Great Pics! Wow. Thanks. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• No... only inside the canopy.

Originally posted by Jetman64 View Post
                      Hey Guys,
                      Got my 3rd Hornet coming tomorrow (BA version) and I’d like to know if any of you BA pilots that have used minwax, have seen any gatoring from the added heat to the surface?

Comment

• Cool...today i receive an SMS to confirme a fedex delivery on monday 19th August ! Oufff!!! I could test it on the next sunday 😉

Comment

I'm happy with my F-18 now that I put the full metal gear servos on the elevators. Not sure why they did all metal gear servos on the F-22, but then put all hybrids on the F-18. I would have been satisfied with a slightly higher price if it came with all metal gear servos.
                          I wonder if they decide which servo to use based on the control surface loading? The weight and speed of the model should be factored into the design. I can't imagine the cost difference is more than $1

I noticed my L39 uses hybrid servos and even the F4U corsair uses the 17g hybrid servos

Comment

• Nice shots DC! Still flying my replacement one completely bone stock with BB...So far so good!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

I wonder if they decide which servo to use based on the control surface loading? The weight and speed of the model should be factored into the design. I can't imagine the cost difference is more than $1

I noticed my L39 uses hybrid servos and even the F4U corsair uses the 17g hybrid servos
                              I think hybrids on the L-39 are fine as it has a standard elevator. But anything with a full flying stab like this F-18, the F-22, the F-15, or the F-14 should really get the full metal servos. This F-18 is a speedy 90mm and the elevators really need the torque of the full metal servos.
                              Pat

Comment

• Have servos stripped as a result of a crash, or as a cause of a crash?

Comment

• I had one stripped elevator servo after my crash, but pretty sure the crash caused it. I was surprised they were not all stripped as I hit the ground full throttle at over 100mph. It hit so hard there was literally a mushroom cloud of dust from the impact.
                                  Pat

Comment

• On the maiden of my first BA, mine suddenly violently jerked upwards and went into an uncontrollable spin not caused by anything I was doing on the sticks. I was able to retrieve it just beyond some woods and the only thing I found (besides damage to the airframe one would expect) was the port-side elevator stab was sticking straight up and the control rod linkage was snapped in half. I never could determine if that occurred in flight causing the crash or if the impact itself caused it. Otherwise, everything else appeared normal. Still remains a mystery. I frankenbirded her back together and sold it to a friend for a song. He maidened it yesterday after performing all the due diligence reinforcements to success.

My replacement BA has about 8 flights or so in her so far and other than some CG sensitivity and lateral stability anomalies, she's been flying okay bone stock so far.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Anyone else having issues with the main gear hanging up during retraction? On my first one, after two flights the left main started hanging up because it was rubbing on the outer gear bay. I had to trim some foam out to get it to retract properly. On Saturday I maidened my replacement BA, and once again after two flights the left main is rubbing on the foam and hanging on retraction. On the third flight it would not go all the way up.
                                      Pat, mine did that when the grub screws loosened allowing the retracts to rotate just slightly. Check to see if the one hanging rotates just a little on the strut pin or the strut pin is rotating in the trunion.

Comment

• Just slowly putting my 2nd one together. Foam tac are holding the brackets in very well. Now just need to replace the servos and put it all together. Not going to paint it or put the stickers on it until it has a few flights.
                                        Planes

Comment

• Mine is finally coming today after having waited since I ordered it on the 14th May. Been a very long wait but finally I can look forward to seeing it

Comment

Working...
                                          X