X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Again it does not take much force to move a surface. If you set up the F-18 by the book the flaps are not all the way up physically and could be moved up or down. That he flew without incident is besides the point. He didn't know better. That you now know better and would still do it is par having read other things you post... Just don't tell others it's a smart thing to do. It's not.
    Big +1. (Not surprised though)

It is true that in this particular case, bad stuff happening is somewhat unlikely, since the dominant factor by far should be lift, which will keep the surface up. But even so, say you hit a bump during takeoff roll etc, or during very high positive G maneuvers, you have no guarantee of that surface not coming down. In general, flying with unpowered servos and considering that surface locked is very a very dangerous practice indeed.
    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• my buddy tearing up the sky with his 8s powered Blue Angel!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
        You are missing the fact that without the servo powered and commanded, external forces (aerodynamics and Gs) may move the surface into a position you really don't want it. A disconnected servo can't be considered "locked"
        Yep, understood now.

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey Y'all, What is the Scale of the Freewing F/a 18? Is it 1/11th or 1/12th or something in-between? Is this based on Fuselage length or Wingspan or both as an average? Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Using the FW wingspan of 40.70 inches and the full scale F-18C wingspan, it comes out to 11.89 scale.... so 1/12th should work! Who ever uses Algebra anymore???

Comment

• The MotionRC page says it’s 1/11th scale.

The math works out to 1/11.9 by wingspan, 1/11.4 lengthwise.

If you are scaling for decals that cover an entire part, using 1/11 gives some coverage margin (James used this for his Hornet decals, the tail decals required trimming). Otherwise you can use 1/12 for more conservative sizing (I used this for the VFA-81 low-viz scheme from Callie Graphics).

Comment

• Thanks Gentlemen, just what I wanted to read. I did the math as well, it is a "Decal Sizing" issue, i.e., converting from 1/32nd and 1/48th to build a nomenclature set and a couple livery sets. I will send these to Callie Graphics and hope she adds the Nomenclature to her products list. I have yet to open the shipping box for this aircraft, though pulling together "The Stuff" is part of the fun. Additionally, I really want to add a 3DP Cockpit and a few bits, but the designs are 'slow-going' as I have a limited skill set for absolute design as opposed to basic shape designing. I will stay on it and anything I complete I will post here. Again and as always, best to all, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• You select the scale from a drop down selection menu when ordering, or call or send an email for a custom-scale. 1/11 and 1/12 are included in the standard scale options.

Comment

• Thank you, FMDB. She has made custom items for me before. I really want to add a nomenclature sheet to my Hornet as well as an unique livery. I am looking at both the Naval 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation Legacy Hornet (Callie has that available) and the 70th Anniversary VFA-41 CAG Hornet (which is actually a Hornet F-18F model, but I don't think the 'scale police' will mind too much, if we don't let them know). Just can't make up my mind. LOL Best, LB
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	fa-18c-vfa-122-flying-eagles-jp-1102.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	212450Click image for larger version

Name:	f-a-18f-vfa-41-black-aces-cag-2015-jp-1923.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	212451
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Can someone illustrate the perfect CG point for this plane? Want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                        Can someone illustrate the perfect CG point for this plane? Want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks!
                        Definitely 90mm. Its absolutely perfect. This is almost exactly the back corner of the forward wing plastic mounting plate. James from Motion RC suggests that as well. Dont know what battery you are running but if it happens to be the Admiral 6000 50c then you want it right up to the blue box. Just leave at least a small gap for cooling. I found that to be spot on. 👍

Comment

• It will be different for different people and while 90mm works for Carl it may not be best for others. That said I'm close at 93mm, easily within the error of finger tips. I stopped counting after 50 flights... I did 6 more yesterday alone.

Comment

• Once you determine your “sweet spot” CG, you can put one of those adhesive rubber button feet/cabinet stops there for quicker balancing. They come in clear material - one source is
                            Wal Mart.

Comment

• Thanks everyone. Flying the Admiral 5000 mAh packs.

When you say 90 or 93mm, that's measuring from what? That's what I'm wanting to be sure of.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                Thank you, FMDB. She has made custom items for me before. I really want to add a nomenclature sheet to my Hornet as well as an unique livery. I am looking at both the Naval 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation Legacy Hornet (Callie has that available) and the 70th Anniversary VFA-41 CAG Hornet (which is actually a Hornet F-18F model, but I don't think the 'scale police' will mind too much, if we don't let them know). Just can't make up my mind. LOL Best, LB
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	fa-18c-vfa-122-flying-eagles-jp-1102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	212450Click image for larger version  Name:	f-a-18f-vfa-41-black-aces-cag-2015-jp-1923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	212451
                                You can thank Brandonmoon for that VFA-122 anniversary decal sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                                  Thanks everyone. Flying the Admiral 5000 mAh packs.

When you say 90 or 93mm, that's measuring from what? That's what I'm wanting to be sure of.

Thanks
                                  Its measured from the leading edge up close to the fuselage and back to the forward plastic wing mounting plate underneath the wing to ideally the back corner.
                                  I too have just got some Admiral 5000s so will let you know battery position once I have it if you like but then of course it may differ slightly from model to model. And rightly so as previously mentioned not everyone happy spot on c of g with be perfect for everyone but I'm very pleased with it. Not sure I'd go any further back unless wanting to do lots of high alfa flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                                    You can thank Brandonmoon for that VFA-122 anniversary decal sheet.
                                    FMDB, Yes, I presumed so as it his F/a18C that is pictured with the set and just it looks awesome. It was my original choice, but I am doing a Tri-Color on my Corsair and was thinking it might be 'more betterer' to have something that looks different on the Hornet. Can't wait to get started. Thanks Guys for all the inputs and on the assist with scaling. Much appreciated. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• What type paint do I need and any idea where to get navy blue?
                                      Thanks Guys

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
                                        What type paint do I need and any idea where to get navy blue? Thanks Guys
                                        D, a couple of ways to get the "Blue" color match. Shown in this forum are the barcodes from Home Depot for the correct color match or you could zip over to Home Depot or another home store/hardware store and ask for a 'sample size' container of the paint. Most stores will 'scan' your part (Take a vertical fin with you) and mix it right there. That's the way I do it. Hope this helps. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

D, a couple of ways to get the "Blue" color match. Shown in this forum are the barcodes from Home Depot for the correct color match or you could zip over to Home Depot or another home store/hardware store and ask for a 'sample size' container of the paint. Most stores will 'scan' your part (Take a vertical fin with you) and mix it right there. That's the way I do it. Hope this helps. Best, LB
                                          Colors may vary according to batch, so the pigment color match numbers may not match, so bringing in a painted part is more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                                          X