X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fordster39 View Post
    Is anyone having issues with the landing gear cycling? I can not get the gear to cycle correctly, it will not cycle down or up, I have unplugged the gear from the multifunctional control box and plugged directly into my receiver and still am not able to get it to cycle, tried this with both the mains and nose gear. I am using a new frsky x8r with a Horus 10s. This is not my first freewing edf, I currently own the MiG-21 and A-10 , I have a starter model I use to set up a new model that has been used many time and I also tried setting up a new model from start, both cases same results. I also tried a different known good receiver and still not working correctly.

What is happening the gear some times will travel down but will not travel back up . Than I would have to switch the gear channel around (assign a different channel ) and the gear would come up but not back down, this would only work when the was plugged directly into the receiver. I also changed the end point setting for 100 to 125 , reversing the servo direction and still no luck . I have never had any trouble in setting up a freewing model on any other model with retracts before . I have been flying off and on for 30 plus years .

I will call Motion rc in the morning and see what they have to say.
    Let me know what you find out. I also use the same radio without any issues to date. Love my radio. I’m also trying out the new S8R receiver.

Comment

• Look in the F-22 thread. Same issues there if I remember correct. FRSKY too.

Comment

Is anyone having issues with the landing gear cycling? I can not get the gear to cycle correctly, it will not cycle down or up, I have unplugged the gear from the multifunctional control box and plugged directly into my receiver and still am not able to get it to cycle, tried this with both the mains and nose gear. I am using a new frsky x8r with a Horus 10s. This is not my first freewing edf, I currently own the MiG-21 and A-10 , I have a starter model I use to set up a new model that has been used many time and I also tried setting up a new model from start, both cases same results. I also tried a different known good receiver and still not working correctly.

What is happening the gear some times will travel down but will not travel back up . Than I would have to switch the gear channel around (assign a different channel ) and the gear would come up but not back down, this would only work when the was plugged directly into the receiver. I also changed the end point setting for 100 to 125 , reversing the servo direction and still no luck . I have never had any trouble in setting up a freewing model on any other model with retracts before . I have been flying off and on for 30 plus years .

Haven't had any trouble with mine,.has the normal time delay before it cycles.

Comment

• Is any one missing hardware to put on horizontal stabs, m3 x 8 flatheads and standard ms screws for wing mounting? Also what line are they showing for neutral stab position, is it the panel line
          molded in fuse. Also what is the 9.5 mm for the flaps?

Comment

Polarity correct?
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• So I’m still at the field waiting for the rain to stop. I was able to get 1 quick flight in before the 2nd round of storms. I set everything up per the manual. Leading edge of the horizontal stabs 7mm below the line. Flaps 9.5 below the line. Elevator at 36mm of travel. 80mm 1680kv stock edf from the f-14. 5000 mah HRB 6s battery, and the balance point was as far back as I could get. 80-85mm.

Great first flight! Low setting on flaps (not full span) held full back stick till the nose came up and let off the stick and it flew off beautifully. Plenty of power on climb out. I used zero trim the entire flight. First landing was with full flaps at normal config and it slows down fine. Next landing I tried full span flaps. Required more power and a lot of up elevator, but was the best landing out of the 3. 3rd landing was back to normal flap config and was almost power off. ( too steep). Roll rate with ailerons only is just as responsive as with tailerons. I think the only real benefit of the tailerons is when using full span flaps. For now I’ll probably use full span if it’s smooth conditions and normal config for any gusty conditions.

With the 80mm I had plenty of power for loops and other aerobatics, but it’s not unlimited vertical. Alpha is right, I had to use slightly higher throttle than my other freewing jets, but nothing to make me want to spend the extra money for a 90 quite yet. This is probably going to be my favorite next to the 70mm v2 f-16!! Nice job MRC!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Which one, the 1750kv or the 1680kv? Either way, see my notes earlier about the 80mms. We preferred the 90mm, hence why it's the PNP and why the ducting is optimized for it. We offered the 80mm as an "option", primarily for people to install their own hotter setups. The standard stock 80mm outrunner will fly the aircraft, but obviously with less authority than a hotter 80mm (inrunner) or the JetFans and other setups I mentioned. I mention this as an extra safety reminder to expect a higher throttle setting for cruise, and to stay high when testing your full-span flap mod you mentioned. Your control setup and your power setup (and resulting power curve) aren't stock, so extra caution is advised. I'm sure you'll be fine.
                A note on full-span flaps, also: For anyone modifying their aircraft to fly full span flaps, it stands to reason that your roll authority decreases in deployed condition because the ailerons will already be drooped so inputs where they would droop won't be registered as cleanly... because it is already drooped. I mention this because four years ago when a wave of people modified their F-14s for full span flaps, I noticed a couple stalls in the landing pattern that were likely precipitated by inadequate roll response. Bottom line is when full span flaps are deployed, it's generally best to keep the aircraft flat and level. In fact I'd say it's safest to deploy them on short final.
                I only want full span flaps for static display on the ground. Likes the Blues when they are parked

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Polarity correct?
                  yes I did check that . Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by adb2@suddenlink.net View Post

Haven't had any trouble with mine,.has the normal time delay before it cycles.
                    I did give it time to cycle , I think at one point I waited almost 1 min. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                      Look in the F-22 thread. Same issues there if I remember correct. FRSKY too.
                      I did a search in the f-22 thread, I used key word Frsky, and retract, I could not find anything. Thanks .

Comment

• Sorry... may have been on RCG...

I got three flights in today. JF 8S set up, unlimited vertical and very fast. The recommended CG works but may be a little tail heavy. Throws worked but needed a bit more elevator (I like a lot of throw). I like the mixed in tailerons but fast rolls are wobbly. The ailerons have more up than down which is normally good. A touch of same side rudder makes it axial but i'd rather get it straight with differential. Mine needed a little up elevator with flaps, 6% on full flaps.

Over all a thumbs up.

I did a search in the f-22 thread, I used key word Frsky, and retract, I could not find anything. Thanks . [/QUOTE]
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry... may have been on RCG...

I got three flights in today. JF 8S set up, unlimited vertical and very fast. The recommended CG works but may be a little tail heavy. Throws worked but needed a bit more elevator (I like a lot of throw). I like the mixed in tailerons but fast rolls are wobbly. The ailerons have more up than down which is normally good. A touch of same side rudder makes it axial but i'd rather get it straight with differential. Mine needed a little up elevator with flaps, 6% on full flaps.

Over all a thumbs up.

I did a search in the f-22 thread, I used key word Frsky, and retract, I could not find anything. Thanks .
                          [/QUOTE]

I ageee about the elevator. I set up 3 rates. 45mm, 35, and 25.. I started in medium and went to high. I didn’t see the need to mix elevator with flaps in normal, but I think it needs some with full span flaps.

Comment

I searched as well both sites, nothing came up. I’m gonna try and set mine up tomorrow and see if I have the same problem. Please keep me posted.

Comment

• 6% is very little with standard full flaps, same as a heavy lean on the stick. I also have full span flaps though I haven't landed with them. They do nee more elevator compensation as you noted.

Does your cork screw a fast roll?

I also love my F-16 V2 with a XRP 13b fan/ 2200 motor. I have had all the 90mm FW jets and the F-4 on a JF 8S is still my favorite, it's so darn stable and even floaty. The F-22 with TVs would be good if it didn't have this odd flop to upright when slow... With the TVs slow and close 3D flight is awesome but a flop doing a slow flip at ground level would be a disaster...

I ageee about the elevator. I set up 3 rates. 45mm, 35, and 25.. I started in medium and went to high. I didn’t see the need to mix elevator with flaps in normal, but I think it needs some with full span flaps. [/QUOTE]

Comment

• Can you post a picture of the MCBe so we can see where you have the retracts plugged in? On mine the mains were Y'ed together and the nose in a separate slot.

On RCG the people having problems were running non stock BECs and people thought it may be a voltage thing.

Originally posted by fordster39 View Post

I did give it time to cycle , I think at one point I waited almost 1 min. Thanks

Comment

Can you post a picture of the MCBe so we can see where you have the retracts plugged in? On mine the mains were Y'ed together and the nose in a separate slot.

On RCG the people having problems were running non stock BECs and people thought it may be a voltage thing.

Yes the mains are y’ed together and the nose is separate, I will be glad to take a picture, but in my trouble shooting process I have bypass the MCB altogether and plugged the gear retract directly into gear channel on the receiver with no results . I did this with both the main and nose gear.

I don’t use a BEC, I use a 2 cell 2100 mah Lipo battery to supply power to the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Learj View Post

I searched as well both sites, nothing came up. I’m gonna try and set mine up tomorrow and see if I have the same problem. Please keep me posted.
                                    I will, and please let me know what you experience also, thanks

Comment

• There's your problem! You can't use more than about 6 volts with retracts. They really don't even like that, retracts like 5.5 volts. You may have damaged them and your servos.

Originally posted by fordster39 View Post

Yes the mains are y’ed together and the nose is separate, I will be glad to take a picture, but in my trouble shooting process I have bypass the MCB altogether and plugged the gear retract directly into gear channel on the receiver with no results . I did this with both the main and nose gear.

I don’t use a BEC, I use a 2 cell 2100 mah Lipo battery to supply power to the receiver.

Comment

There's your problem! You can't use more than about 6 volts with retracts. They really don't even like that, retracts like 5.5 volts. You may have damaged them and your servos.

That might be it, I will check with motion and see what they say. I do use this same setup in my Freewing A-10, MiG-21, and F-4 when I owned it. Lots of flight no issues.. thanks

Comment

• Just out of interest to those of you who have flown the model. What sort of flight times are you getting and what batteries are you using? I have some 4500 mah and some cheap turnigy 5000 mah ones that dont actually give me any longer flight time than the better 4500s I have. In my Avanti they give me 3 min flights. I dont have any batteries as big as a 6000 and struggling to find any that dont then add an enormous amount of weight. I guess what I'm really asking is the 9 blade 90mm set up in this more efficient than the 12 blade 80mm set up in the original yellow Avanti?

Comment

Working...
                                          X