Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummer,. Lcacing back in Post # 1134 lost one as well.

His is a mess now. Hopefully you find yours and can determine the probable cause. When you do locate it, if it is repairable Great !!! If not, I can use the rear section of the Jet to make the Airbrake. Once again ...Bummer !

GL

Comment

• I'm staggered by all the problems people have been having. Seems they really did rush this one out. Shame because freewing has always been good quality. This model alone could really damage that reputation. I'm half tempted now to swap out all the servos and bypass the blue box just to ensure I dont have any issues. It's an awful lot of money to me to have invested in a model and I know as part of this hobby we have to appreciate that what goes up comes down at some point but this happening due to equipment failure in my opinion in this day and age just isn't acceptable.
      really glad I didnt get one of the first batch now. Hoping all these issues will be ironed out by the time mine arrives. Regardless I will be going over it will a fine tooth comb.

Comment

• Every Single time we send one Up there is a risk of having a Catastrophic Outcome. Some of us take measures that we feel help minimize this before we send them Up. Others do not.

I try to do a complete Mod and Detail workover on mine before I send one up. If it ends 'Catastrophically' for reasons unknown or despite my best efforts to avoid this through components change, it will undoubtedly look 'Glorious' while doing so. This hobby is not for the faint of heart.

Comment

• I mention this on almost every airplane's thread, and it's good to spread the word wherever possible: As with any purchase from Motion RC, call the official tech support hotline at 224-633-9090 for USA (8am-6pm CST Monday-Friday) and they'll document the issue and look into it. I wouldn't jump to any public overreaching conclusions just yet. The reason why our CS team exists is to field calls and emails, which they do every day, for every product we sell, across every brand. If there was an increase in the reported issue rate of any product/brand across the global statistical sample we have visibility over, believe me I'd be the first to know and the first to act. Collating valid associations, eliminating false correlations, assessing trends, and resolving issues then preempting their recurrence is something we spend a lot of energy doing.

From a UMX to a gyro to a 90mm jet, we track every report very closely and unfortunately, it is the nature of this hobby, both how models are pre-fabricated by workers, then assembled/flown by users, that some birds will go down. We get those calls every day. In context of the F-18, from the three reports of disconnected ESCs, a couple of suspect servos, and other assorted reports of paint/QC etc, the F-18 is still trending under the "normal" call in rate considering the massive number of models in circulation. George had an especially quirky wing mount issue that he called in, but that is literally the first in thousands of planes, so.... I wouldn't point to that as a landmark shift in Freewing's quality level.

We've always been transparent and inviting for people to call the official hotline to document issues. Call the team, give the best report you can, and they'll go to bat for you for the best coverage they can. Freewing stands behind their products, as do we.

In the meantime, just because much of our current lineup of airplanes are PNP shouldn't override best practices for any RC model. Go over it, test it, call in if you're unsure or have any questions, servo test, RANGE TEST, battery test, then have fun with confidence knowing that if any issues arise, you can still call it in and at least talk to someone who will try to walk through it and leverage our reporting database and factory coverage options in your best interest. In a hobby where all our wallets are in the sky, I think that's as fair and comprehensive a coverage network that can be had.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
            I'm staggered by all the problems people have been having. Seems they really did rush this one out. Shame because freewing has always been good quality. This model alone could really damage that reputation. I'm half tempted now to swap out all the servos and bypass the blue box just to ensure I dont have any issues. It's an awful lot of money to me to have invested in a model and I know as part of this hobby we have to appreciate that what goes up comes down at some point but this happening due to equipment failure in my opinion in this day and age just isn't acceptable. really glad I didnt get one of the first batch now. Hoping all these issues will be ironed out by the time mine arrives. Regardless I will be going over it will a fine tooth comb.
            Well let's not jump to assuming it's lack of quality. I know internally how much rigorous testing these models go through before shipping to our doors. If there is a more quality foam aircraft manufacturer in the world than Freewing I sure don't know about them.

The cause of my crash, and the others posted so far could have nothing to do with one another. When I found mine, all control surface servos were still functioning normally. The starboard servo clevis had snapped clean off which I would think was caused by the impact and not something that caused the crash but alas, I have no way to know that for sure or not. Everything was still plugged in normally. I could only surmise it was a temporary brown out caused by not having the redundancy of a satellite to help insure radio link regardless of reasonable distance or angle. Also, it occurred in the vicinity of a house that was just on the other side of the trees I was over banking to turn back to the downwind leg for. Could that home or homes in the area have something that could disrupt 2.4GHz frequency?

The point is, I have no way to prove what took down my F-18. I have ruled out Dumb Thumbs since airspeed and bank angle were all perfectly well within limits when the model suddenly jerked and went into a death spin. The kind of jerking that is only caused by either loss of reception or a control surface that goes haywire. Could it have been the receiver without a satellite? Yes. Could it have been a catastrophic failure of the elevator clevis due to my twisting it on with my fingers, not realizing it weakened the middle section? Possibly. Or perhaps 2.4GHz interference? I simply cannot rule any of these out.

But that's a far cry from somehow thinking it's all a related quality issue across the board. When I get my new PNP in a couple weeks, I will be putting in the same 10 channel Admiral rx with satellite I have in my other jets and models and have used with great success. I will also be extra mindful when applying my clevises to the pushrods, using extreme care. From there, I will do all my usual setups with CG/throws/pre flight checks and take her off with confidence with no reason to expect anything but a successful maiden.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Never been a Fan Boy of the BB & the F-18 BB proves that again .. Ever since the Avanti was first released I’ve had weird Servo glitches caused by the BB .. Flaps & Landing gear operating on their own .. Proved by once bypassed the Gremlins disappear..On this F-18 I had just finished assembling & started testing out all the servo functions when both the Flaps started twitching like mad intermittently & then disappeared.. No way I’m flying this baby with the BB so once again good ole Y connectors to the rescue .. At least it happened on the ground early & I got bags full of different sized Y connectors :)BB is a great idea but for me reliability is Shot:(

Comment

• I have never had any issues with the "BB" as you call it, but I cannot rule that out as a potential cause as well. After some gluing and still have some paint touch up to do, I cannot believe how relatively unscathed she came away from the crash. It could have - should have - been a total disaster. This one will fly again but I am going to have to wait on the new nose retract system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	postcrashfixed.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	201746
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  I have never had any issues with the "BB" as you call it, but I cannot rule that out as a potential cause as well. After some gluing and still have some paint touch up to do, I cannot believe how relatively unscathed she came away from the crash. It could have - should have - been a total disaster. This one will fly again but I am going to have to wait on the new nose retract system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	postcrashfixed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	201746
                  Good job on the Repairs :Cool:The nose Retract is the same as the Avanti’s so if the strut is intact just use the Avanti’s & you're good to go..

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    I mention this on almost every airplane's thread, and it's good to spread the word wherever possible: As with any purchase from Motion RC, call the official tech support hotline at 224-633-9090 for USA (8am-6pm CST Monday-Friday) and they'll document the issue and look into it. I wouldn't jump to any public overreaching conclusions just yet. The reason why our CS team exists is to field calls and emails, which they do every day, for every product we sell, across every brand. If there was an increase in the reported issue rate of any product/brand across the global statistical sample we have visibility over, believe me I'd be the first to know and the first to act. Collating valid associations, eliminating false correlations, assessing trends, and resolving issues then preempting their recurrence is something we spend a lot of energy doing.

From a UMX to a gyro to a 90mm jet, we track every report very closely and unfortunately, it is the nature of this hobby, both how models are pre-fabricated by workers, then assembled/flown by users, that some birds will go down. We get those calls every day. In context of the F-18, from the three reports of disconnected ESCs, a couple of suspect servos, and other assorted reports of paint/QC etc, the F-18 is still trending under the "normal" call in rate considering the massive number of models in circulation. George had an especially quirky wing mount issue that he called in, but that is literally the first in thousands of planes, so.... I wouldn't point to that as a landmark shift in Freewing's quality level.

We've always been transparent and inviting for people to call the official hotline to document issues. Call the team, give the best report you can, and they'll go to bat for you for the best coverage they can. Freewing stands behind their products, as do we.

In the meantime, just because much of our current lineup of airplanes are PNP shouldn't override best practices for any RC model. Go over it, test it, call in if you're unsure or have any questions, servo test, RANGE TEST, battery test, then have fun with confidence knowing that if any issues arise, you can still call it in and at least talk to someone who will try to walk through it and leverage our reporting database and factory coverage options in your best interest. In a hobby where all our wallets are in the sky, I think that's as fair and comprehensive a coverage network that can be had.
                    I totally believe that you guys track issues and if there is an issue that is a higher than normal faiure rate you all address it. That being said, I own 6 FW/FLRC planes and I have had no issues until this one (and my issue is minimal) But like the few problems I have had with other brands that I have bought from MRC, you all take care of it quickly, probably the best customer service I have seen from any company, and not just in the hobby industry. It sounds bad but I guess I am spoiled by all my other FW/FLRC having ZERO issues :)

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                      Good job on the Repairs :Cool:The nose Retract is the same as the Avanti’s so if the strut is intact just use the Avanti’s & you're good to go..
                      Thanks! Ah, if I only had the Avanti! I sold it a while back. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Mr. PostPerson to deliver a new unit. Shame, because all I need is the metal arm but the strut and wheel set didn't come with it.
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks! Ah, if I only had the Avanti! I sold it a while back. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Mr. PostPerson to deliver a new unit. Shame, because all I need is the metal arm but the strut and wheel set didn't come with it.
                        I thought it was simple as walk into the warehouse & pick one up..:)LOL

Comment

• No, the warehouse is 2,034 miles from me. I like to walk but not THAT far. LOL

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	201754
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I have never had any issues with the "BB" as you call it, but I cannot rule that out as a potential cause as well.
                            The only annoying thing that I've personally had with these control boards, is the inability to use very slow flap deployment but that was in only 2 planes. Yesterday, as I was trying to do more assembly on my F18, I started to cuss out that control board and began to think I was another unlucky one to get a bad board. Took everything apart (including the wing boards) to bypass the main board because my flaps and rudder/nose steering didn't work. Got it by-passed and it STILL didn't work. Then I realized it was my own stupidly. :Angry: I plugged the rudder and flaps into the wrong ports on the RX. Using an old Spektrum AR6210 that worked well in my recently sold P-38, I couldn't see the fine markings on the ports and counted them from the wrong end. Took it all apart and put it back together the way it came and all worked quite well. What's left to see is if everything works during ground testing and that first flight. I'm not totally put off by that board, just on the edge of my seat every time a buy a new Freewing.
                            Now, those new wing connectors on big FMS planes - there's another source of frustration and annoyance.

Comment

Never been a Fan Boy of the BB & the F-18 BB proves that again .. Ever since the Avanti was first released I’ve had weird Servo glitches caused by the BB .. Flaps & Landing gear operating on their own .. Proved by once bypassed the Gremlins disappear..On this F-18 I had just finished assembling & started testing out all the servo functions when both the Flaps started twitching like mad intermittently & then disappeared.. No way I’m flying this baby with the BB so once again good ole Y connectors to the rescue .. At least it happened on the ground early & I got bags full of different sized Y connectors :)BB is a great idea but for me reliability is Shot:(
                              I find this all very interesting because I have had no issues with my Avanti. Been good as gold and have racked up quite a few hours on the sticks with her now. I know someone else in my club who had issues with their flaps having a mind of their own and today after landing and taxi back I went to put the flaps back up and initially they didnt respond. I operated them a few times after this with no issues and flew a couple of times after without any troubles

I'm thinking more and more though that I'm gonna by pass the BB because clearly this seems to be the weak link. Maybe servos and peoples receivers are fine. I know mine are because I exclusively use futaba and dont even know what brown out is. Never once experienced it.

Please look into Blue Box issues freewing. As said it's a great idea but it needs to be trouble free. You just cant afford a weak link between the receiver and the controls of the model.

Comment

Was hoping the nose gear wouldn't be the same as the Avanti. That's a shame. My Avantis nose leg is now wobbly as hell. Even with having the 3D printed mod from day one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfgang Wagner View Post

Looks like we all have the same problems, space and the approval of our wives! My revelation is still imminent. :)
                                  You've got the cluster bombs on your A-6, so envious!

Comment

• Well I am generally a "where there's smoke there's fire" kind of guy but I haven't (to my knowledge) had any problems with the blue box in any of my jets so far. Could that streak have ended yesterday on the fateful maiden? Possibly. But vigorous checking the control surfaces during the build, after the build, pre-flight, and post crash, there still doesn't appear to be any issue with the controls/servos/connections. Maybe we need mini black boxes to help us figure out the cause of our crashes when we know it's not self-inflicted/Dumb Thumb Syndrome.

Imagine!

Data Collection 00.1:

Port side elevator push rod disengaged from control horn causing loss of port side stabilizer control.

or

4.57 second loss of radio signal.

and so on. As it stands now, most of the post crash analysis is complete and total guesswork which will always leave room for doubt and wonder how not to repeat the same event from occurring next time. I guess it's just one of the risks we take in the hobby. Once these models leave the ground, nothing is guaranteed. It's why proper setup and pre-flight checking is absolutely critical. At least make sure you're not the cause even if inadvertently.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      I'm surprised at your experience with the Turnigy Heavy Duty. I have several of these, along with several Gens Ace and Admirals, all 5000mah, 6s. The best of all of these are the Gens Ace but those are expensive. A close second are the Heavy Duty. Yes, they are heavy, but for me, they perform like they were 5500 - 6000 mah, and they give just as much punch as the Gens Ace. The extra weight in them is just more material inside to give that extra performance. Kinda like Graphenes. I don't have Graphene 5000mah, 6s yet but my other sizes of Graphenes perform like the Gens Ace. The Admirals for me, perform a close third. Next time I need more 5000mah, 6s, I'm going to go with the Graphene Panthers. They weigh even more but if they are like the smaller Panthers that a friend got, they pack a lot of punch and flight time. My "go to" has always been the Gens Ace, with the HD being the next choice for my performance planes. I've accumulated nearly 100 LiPos of different brands and sizes, so I know "crap" batteries. Also, Heavy Duty comes in mid-C and high-C. I always choose the high-C. If you're going for Admiral, I would suggest the Admiral Carbon.
                                      Perhaps your HD were from a bad batch or maybe they got drained too low or damaged in some way. I know I've had a good crash and dented a battery and they don't ever perform well anymore.
                                      Xviper,

I wouldn't touch a turnigy heavy duty with a nine foot pole. I purchased 5 of those batteries. Out of the 5, only 2 arrived without a dead cell. One was a 6s, to have that one arrive with 5 perfectly balanced storage capacity cells and one dead cell, put me off all turnigy heavy duty batteries. I still have 3 4000mah 6s, and 2 5000mah 6s turnigy batteries that I fly with. Never again the heavy duty, they cannot even survive the trip to my house.

Comment

Well I am generally a "where there's smoke there's fire" kind of guy but I haven't (to my knowledge) had any problems with the blue box in any of my jets so far. Could that streak have ended yesterday on the fateful maiden? Possibly. But vigorous checking the control surfaces during the build, after the build, pre-flight, and post crash, there still doesn't appear to be any issue with the controls/servos/connections. Maybe we need mini black boxes to help us figure out the cause of our crashes when we know it's not self-inflicted/Dumb Thumb Syndrome.

Imagine!

Data Collection 00.1:

Port side elevator push rod disengaged from control horn causing loss of port side stabilizer control.

or

4.57 second loss of radio signal.

and so on. As it stands now, most of the post crash analysis is complete and total guesswork which will always leave room for doubt and wonder how not to repeat the same event from occurring next time. I guess it's just one of the risks we take in the hobby. Once these models leave the ground, nothing is guaranteed. It's why proper setup and pre-flight checking is absolutely critical. At least make sure you're not the cause even if inadvertently.
                                        I would love to got to all sbus2 servos. My telemetry would send back servo positions. Right now it just logs where my sticks are positioned, gps speed, altitude, distance, vertical speed, position, current draw, main batt voltage, cumulative consumed mah, and receiver voltage at each data logging. point. It logs data every 100 ms. So it's close to a black box.

I just need to install potentiometers on all controll surfaces, 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyro, aoa transducer, pitot static air data computer and try to figure out how to send all that data via telemetry.;)

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          Attention Curlyculp:

Yes...............;)

Oh...........you want to know what it does LOL
                                          It is known as an iron ferrite core.
                                          The geometry and electromagnetic properties of coiled wire over the ferrite core result in an impedance for high-frequency signals, attenuating high-frequency EMI/RFI electronic noise. In laymans terms it is a RF noise suppressor.
                                          Oh SUUUUURE you and your fancy pants science words.

Thanks! ;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X