X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

And this is why taileron config is a given. It adds sooo much authority in the low speed range.
    The opposite conclusion could be also be drawn - all that stab motion (differential deflection in degree at that) to not much reaction, or in reaction to anything - and not very reproducible.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
      Always trying to learn. My earlier mixes had some issues with the trims and so after the maiden flight up at NEFI I just went to the stock configuration. Flew great that way but I still wanted to have FS flaps so with assistance from davegees friend Shaquille who set his bird up mine is once again ready to try but this time there are no crazy trim issues. Shaquille flies a gorgeous SkyMaster F-18 Super Hornet and really seems to know his stuff. I greatly appreciate his help and patience walking me through this.

I heard this model needs a lot of elevator compensation with full flaps, but damn that's a lot 😮
      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
        The opposite conclusion could be also be drawn
        Not really. Not for any factual reasons anyway.

Comment

• Not sure what you heard but it does not need much unless you are doing a ton of full span flaps like he did.

Originally posted by janmb View Post

I heard this model needs a lot of elevator compensation with full flaps, but damn that's a lot 😮

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            Not sure what you heard but it does not need much unless you are doing a ton of full span flaps like he did.
            Well, I am 😂

Of every single user on this forum, I might very well be the one who most prefer draggy setups for landing 😂

Comment

Not really. Not for any factual reasons anyway.
              Just the practical "fact" that the plane has obviously demonstrably landed quite OK with flaps and without FF stab elevons/tailerons/whateveryouwantocallits. So really a if-you-want-to-do-it-and-have-the-hardware-and-the-time,which evidently some people do - knock themselves out for their achievement.

But not a "given" (in my book). :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Just the practical "fact" that the plane has obviously demonstrably landed quite OK with flaps and without FF stab elevons/tailerons/whateveryouwantocallits. So really a if-you-want-to-do-it-and-have-the-hardware-and-the-time,which evidently some people do - knock themselves out for their achievement.

But not a "given" (in my book). :Cool:
                Just because something apparently works "ok" doesn't mean there aren't objectively better ways.

Personally, I think it's a pity that Freewing releases these great, FF birds with a totally non-scale, non-ideal setup as standard, when doing it right would be relatively easy.

Comment

• I think I need to start posting "whatever" after a certain persons posts...

Nobody is making you buy these planes.

Just because something apparently works "ok" doesn't mean there aren't objectively better ways.

Personally, I think it's a pity that Freewing releases these great, FF birds with a totally non-scale, non-ideal setup as standard, when doing it right would be relatively easy.

Comment

I think I need to start posting "whatever" after a certain persons posts...

Nobody is making you buy these planes.
                    You are reading me entirely wrong. I'm not criticizing the planes. I'm just a bit sad they don't put out a better default setup.

Why? Because 90% of all pilots stick with whatever default, recommended setup is provided to them. And all of those 90% lose out on something that could have been even better.

This doesn't affect me one bit since I belong to the other 10%, but although this may be an unfamiliar thought to some, it is in fact possible to care about other people's successes too.

Comment

• Has anyone had success with the stock setup. I am gonna put an admrial receiver in mine. should i do anything different

Comment

• I thought it was mentioned somewhere that the free wing test pilots did play around with various options like full span flaps etc but found a lot of these different configurations gave undesirable tendencies. I would be inclined to agree so I will likely run mine totally stock when I eventually get it. Thing you have to remember is as scale as these birds are. Not everything scales down particularly well. Things can be very different in full size and when you are actually in the thing and can feel what's going on.
                        I respect the people that are trying though. And must admit the full span flaps and turned in rudder air brakes all sound like a possible option if I do struggle to slow it down enough at the field where I fly as it isn't massive. Plenty of air space but a relatively short grass strip. But I manage ok with my Avanti so figured I should be ok. But I do tend to go for the light option. Dont think I could get away with a 6000 battery at my field. Far too heavy and would come in way too hot. I'd much rather have shorter and better performing flights. I've got 4500s and 5000s.

Comment

• Yes! Absolutely. Go for it. You may want to tame down the ailerons a little but other than that...

Comment

• Ahh... Free Wing is the only one I know that make a kit plus version. This and the price of spare parts (and Motions CS) are why I buy almost exclusively FW EDFs and won't buy anything that has EFlite on it.

You are reading me entirely wrong. I'm not criticizing the planes. I'm just a bit sad they don't put out a better default setup.

Why? Because 90% of all pilots stick with whatever default, recommended setup is provided to them. And all of those 90% lose out on something that could have been even better.

This doesn't affect me one bit since I belong to the other 10%, but although this may be an unfamiliar thought to some, it is in fact possible to care about other people's successes too.

Comment

• I agree go for it. The stock set up works. As some have said you may want to try low rates for your maiden (that's why they have low rates right?)...

Originally posted by Hopetofly1 View Post
                              Has anyone had success with the stock setup. I am gonna put an admrial receiver in mine. should i do anything different

Comment

I agree go for it. The stock set up works. As some have said you may want to try low rates for your maiden (that's why they have low rates right?)...

I will see how high the high rates are when i get it but I like higher rates sometimes

Comment

• To be honest I will probably even like their rates settings. I'm used to it as I have never used rates or expo on any of my models. I fly on full all the time. Just something I've got used to and I like it because it means I only have to make very small stick movements so I can fly more accurately. Because I'm a thumb flyer if I move the sticks too much I tend to pull in an accidental input like up or down with elevator.
                                  So yeah where as I hear all the time people saying oh god this is twitchy. Or oh I forgot to flick my rate switch so I didnt have enough control to get me out of trouble. I never have those issues and never have any nasty surprises. I know what to expect all the time and makes for a very predictable flight.
                                  Dont worry I know no one will agree with me. I'm used to that. It's just my personal preference. That being said of course on a fast moving jet I have less travel than I would on say a 3D model for example.
                                  But yeah my biggest hate is expo. Flew a mates plane once and he had loads of expo and my god it was like stirring a thick soup with the sticks. Just horrible. Could never get on with expo on any model. Again just my personal preference.

Comment

• I do too. I have tailerons programed into my high rates to get a reasonable roll rate. I also have a JF 8S set up so the extra airspeed helps too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                                      I thought it was mentioned somewhere that the free wing test pilots did play around with various options like full span flaps etc but found a lot of these different configurations gave undesirable tendencies. I would be inclined to agree so I will likely run mine totally stock when I eventually get it. Thing you have to remember is as scale as these birds are. Not everything scales down particularly well. Things can be very different in full size and when you are actually in the thing and can feel what's going on.
                                      I respect the people that are trying though. And must admit the full span flaps and turned in rudder air brakes all sound like a possible option if I do struggle to slow it down enough at the field where I fly as it isn't massive. Plenty of air space but a relatively short grass strip. But I manage ok with my Avanti so figured I should be ok. But I do tend to go for the light option. Dont think I could get away with a 6000 battery at my field. Far too heavy and would come in way too hot. I'd much rather have shorter and better performing flights. I've got 4500s and 5000s.

A lot of scale features can indeed have negative impacts on small models like we are talking about here. Full span flaps may very well be one of those. A flap + crow mix config will very likely have better handling.

I very strongly doubt tailerons being an example of that though. There are really no downsides to that if done right.

Comment

Ahh... Free Wing is the only one I know that make a kit plus version. This and the price of spare parts (and Motions CS) are why I buy almost exclusively FW EDFs and won't buy anything that has EFlite on it.
                                        Not quite sure I see the relevance between this and the post you quoted, but I most definitely agree.

In fact ordered an Avanti ARF+ with the intention of reusing my A-10 fan/esc just minutes ago :D

Comment

Not quite sure I see the relevance between this and the post you quoted, but I most definitely agree.

In fact ordered an Avanti ARF+ with the intention of reusing my A-10 fan/esc just minutes ago :D
                                          Good choice. I love my Avanti. Love how well my minion pilots suit it too lol
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X