Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may have missed it, but does the hornet have provisions for wing hardpoints? I'm modeling up some AIM-7s that someone requested, but need to figure out where to locate the attachment hardware. Or is this a call for some hardpoints to be modeled?

Comment

• DD,

The wingtips have the mounting bracket installed already, and the wing has a molded-in slot for the mount, but no missile hard points are included. In a pinch I bet one of the A-10 mounts would work fine.

Pat

Comment

• We designed that groove to accept a male MWS, as shown below. I'm using the pylons and ordnance from the 90mm F-16.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_120834.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	204423

Name:	DSC03746.1.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	204424
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• That Hornet looks great Alpha! Looks like a plastic model.
          Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          We designed that groove to accept a male MWS, as shown below. I'm using the pylons and ordnance from the 90mm F-16.

Name:	IMG_20190613_120834.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	204423

Name:	DSC03746.1.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	204424

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

I love what airbrushes can do. I have one but I have found it really tickles my laziness funnybone as I can't stand the clean up process. That's why I have still been using rattle cans primarily.
            Yeah cleanup is both extremely important and a bit of hassle. Helps a lot to have a good cleaning solution to blow through it though, Tamiya makes a great one
            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• So put 4 more flights on this morning. Had two issues, both my fault. The wind came up a little bit, so I put the jet on the ground, and proceeded to knock my pliers off the table and they landed right on the nose. So it has its first little boo boo.
              Second, I put down full flaps on the down wind leg, and then made my turn. By the time I was on final, I was WAYYYYY TOOOOO SLOOOOW. I have no idea how I saved it. Just dumb luck, because it started stalling, and I panicked and hit the gear up switch, then hit the flaps up switch, all the while adding throttle and trying to recover from what can best be described as a wing rocking, nose down, then up, then down, then up thrill ride. Somehow it pulled up and leveled out. I went around again and landed safely with no flaps this time.
              Soooo, now that I have changed my underwear (I know, TMI), I'm going to clear coat it. I see all you guys that have made yours look just awesome with the clear coat!

Comment

• Here is the first of few, updated the AIM-9s for 1/11th scale:

Comment

• Why do people feel the need to mix in up elevator with when the flaps go down? Why not simply apply the required amount of up elevator yourself? You're on the elevator anyway...

This is a serious question by the way not a dig at people. I'm just curious to know why people do as it isn't something I ever tried on any of my models.

Comment

• Just easier on me to let the mix do it. A lot of people even mix it so that it raises the nose a little extra bit for landing approach. I also have planes that I have elevator mixes to the retracts to compensate for drag of the gear extended and I have elevator mixed to throttle on some plane that pitch with throttle. All to make the plane more neutral so I don't have to work as hard. A full scale GA pilot is probably used to adding it in manually.

Please remember not all planes need up elevator with flaps. Most jets do but some are neutral and other planes need down.

Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                    Why do people feel the need to mix in up elevator with when the flaps go down? Why not simply apply the required amount of up elevator yourself? You're on the elevator anyway...

This is a serious question by the way not a dig at people. I'm just curious to know why people do as it isn't something I ever tried on any of my models.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                      Why do people feel the need to mix in up elevator with when the flaps go down? Why not simply apply the required amount of up elevator yourself? You're on the elevator anyway...

You don't have to do a mix, do like you said and apply what's needed, I use to not have any mixes in anything I flew back in the days, just fly it and fight the nose dive or balloning or aileron trim or flap trim, now I just cruise on in nice and steady and let the radio mix do it's magic, I set mine so I need just a soft touch on the elevator and hold a nice steady approach, some planes like to roll a little bit left or right when flaps are down, why not mix that out to with a little aileron to flap mix, but hey I felt the same way yrs ago about mixes, now I love the flap elevator mix available but I still don't use dual rates or expo...........LOL

Go fly the FW 90mm F-104 and let me know how it flies with no mixes.....:)

Comment

• Just like with flying full scale, anything you can do to take the pressure off the (yoke/stick) is never a bad thing. That's why God invented trim tabs. LOL

Happy 4th!

Name:	s.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	204472
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

You don't have to do a mix, do like you said and apply what's needed, I use to not have any mixes in anything I flew back in the days, just fly it and fight the nose dive or balloning or aileron trim or flap trim, now I just cruise on in nice and steady and let the radio mix do it's magic, I set mine so I need just a soft touch on the elevator and hold a nice steady approach, some planes like to roll a little bit left or right when flaps are down, why not mix that out to with a little aileron to flap mix, but hey I felt the same way yrs ago about mixes, now I love the flap elevator mix available but I still don't use dual rates or expo...........LOL

Go fly the FW 90mm F-104 and let me know how it flies with no mixes.....:)
                          Flies fine with no mixes so does the 70mm F-104. I always make sure I have more travel authority on my control surfaces than the book calls for. Doesn't mean I have to use it but if I need it it's there. I do use mixes on some planes, when I exhausted all aerodynamic corrections that can be made. But I haven't had any issues with the 90mm F-104. I also do not use dual rates, but on most of my models I use expo.

Comment

• Decal set for Blue Angel issues, received mine on Wednesday and went to put on decals and there is an issue with the set that was included, something happened during production of the decals, they will not peel off the sheet, wondering if anyone else had issues and could offer a solution?
                            Thank you
                            Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

I prefer my planes to be in trim during all phases of flight. Reduces workload and makes you more able to focus on flying well instead of fighting poor trim.

Also, for those who use significant expo, good trim becomes even more important since the extremes of the stick are too sensitive.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Hi Joe.

They need to be cut from the sheet with a decent border and then soaked in water on a dinner plate prior to application. They are not of the sticky back variety.

Comment

• Are the Hornet servos glued-in or are they all in servo pockets? I absolutely hate glued-in servos. Also, have any of you had trouble with the main gear doors on grass

Edit: Alpha Do you think I could run a 12 blade fan (from the 1650KV EDF unit) on the 1750KV motor with a 130A esc? Did you guys do that in testing?
                                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                    Are the Hornet servos glued-in or are they all in servo pockets? I absolutely hate glued-in servos. Also, have any of you had trouble with the main gear doors on grass

Edit: Alpha Do you think I could run a 12 blade fan (from the 1650KV EDF unit) on the 1750KV motor with a 130A esc? Did you guys do that in testing?
                                    All the Hornet's servos are in pockets with screws, so don't worry, they're not glued in.

We tested all the current 90mm units we sell. They all work fine. The PNP's unit is what we felt was the best balance between the usual key factors of power/performance/weight/sound/cost/static-vs-dynamic thrust, etc.
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Flies fine with no mixes so does the 70mm F-104. I always make sure I have more travel authority on my control surfaces than the book calls for. Doesn't mean I have to use it but if I need it it's there. I do use mixes on some planes, when I exhausted all aerodynamic corrections that can be made. But I haven't had any issues with the 90mm F-104. I also do not use dual rates, but on most of my models I use expo.
                                      Thats great on your F-104, your the man then flying that bird with no mixes, I love flying my F-104, there is always an exciting moment and I use a little bit of up elev/flap mix on it as well. Nothing wrong with holding up elevator. I really don't need it on the F-18 but I tried a little and I liked it so now it sets up a nice AOA and glides right in......
                                      :Cool:

Comment

• Alpha you have sold me on the Hornet.
                                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• The rudder servos are glued in.

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

All the Hornet's servos are in pockets with screws, so don't worry, they're not glued in.

Comment

Working...
                                          X