Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw the unboxing video of the grey F18 and heard it comes with an 80 mm plug. if I can put the same motor that comes in the l-39 in this thing and get close to the same performance and efficiency I'm all over this thing!!!!!
    Meridian Aeromodelers

Comment

• Just out of interest what are the pros and cons of running this on an 80mm fan vs the 90 mm fan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
        Just out of interest what are the pros and cons of running this on an 80mm fan vs the 90 mm fan?
        Hi Carlbraniac, here's my answer to that question when it was posed earlier by another member:

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Purely for options. In the Hornet we had the opportunity to develop a model as a 90mm 6s PNP (in our opinion the BEST balance of price/performance/weight/duration/etc), but along the way also endeavored to design the platform to be versatile. It turned out that the Hornet could fly with a wide range of power setups. Again, the vast majority of our customer family will prefer the 90mm 6s PNP, which is why that's the only PNP version we're releasing and that's the version we strongly recommend as your first option.

Meanwhile, we also recognize that there are a few pilots out there who enjoy tinkering with their models and who already have other power systems in their possession. So for them, a model with options has wider appeal. This is where the ARF PLUS version comes in handy, because a power system isn't pre-installed. If someone had a JetFan 80mm 8s power system, or a super efficient 90mm Wemo setup, or a custom 80mm 12s system, or whatever.... the ARF PLUS is cheaper to acquire, and with the shroud adapter we've made for the F-18 you're halfway there. I've flown this Hornet on our cheapest 80mm outrunner 6s power system, and while it's not exhilarating compared to the 90mm PNP, it is cheaper overall to operate and lighter, and so if I theoretically was someone who loved the Hornet and had the 80mm system already in my possession and wanted to save some money, the ARF PLUS is a good start and I'd know that at least Motion RC flew it.

The 90mm F-4 is a good example of a 90mm that wouldn't fly on the 80mm OR system. It turns out that the 90mm F-18 can.

When in doubt, 6s 90mm PNP.

What we try to do wherever possible is to use our products and incremental innovations/features/opportunities to encourage people to return to the good ol' days of modeling, tinkering, experimenting, customizing, personalizing. 3D printing, decal sets, modular EDF bays, etc... none are 100% drop in perfect-for-everyone solutions, but they solve for part of the challenge. 3DPUPs still need to be painted, but at least they exist. Custom decals require patience to apply, but the results are unique. A modular EDF bay such as what we've debuted with the F-18 won't be optimally efficient depending on what aftermarket system you install, but at least the option exists to try it. When in doubt, or after you've tried your own specific setup and found maybe it isn't what you wanted, our stock PNP is always there for you as a proven system.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

If I’m not mistaken it’ll be this 130A esc/8A Bec
          Hi, do you know, if this ESC has a built-in BEC or just the external one? THX

Comment

• No internal, just external.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              No internal, just external.
              Thx, so no modification on the wiring. ;)

Comment

• Hey guys, getting busy on my VMFA-115 Silver Eagles paint scheme. Painting the vertical stabs white before I apply the full decal tomorrow. Then masked off the nose for the black glare paint.

Callie has leading edge extension glare graphics so I have to wait for those to come in or I would have painted those to.

Then for ordnance I have some 3d printed ones printing and I have an idea on making a static air brake that I will share when I get to it.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with theirs! Not long now.

Comment

• James, How are the vert. stab's servos removed? Don't think I seen that yet. I have to take mine off to paint those as well.
                  Planes
                  -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                  -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                    James, How are the vert. stab's servos removed? Don't think I seen that yet. I have to take mine off to paint those as well.
                    Very simple. There is a little piece of plastic that pulls off easy to access and the servo is just glued in. I was able to just pry it out with my hand. I'll post a picture later tonight, just out at the moment

Comment

• Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post

Very simple. There is a little piece of plastic that pulls off easy to access and the servo is just glued in. I was able to just pry it out with my hand. I'll post a picture later tonight, just out at the moment
                      Thank you sir
                      Planes
                      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Hey guys, getting busy on my VMFA-115 Silver Eagles paint scheme. Painting the vertical stabs white before I apply the full decal tomorrow. Then masked off the nose for the black glare paint.

Callie has leading edge extension glare graphics so I have to wait for those to come in or I would have painted those to.

Then for ordnance I have some 3d printed ones printing and I have an idea on making a static air brake that I will share when I get to it.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with theirs! Not long now.
                        Not long now???? James, your killing me!!! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Thank you sir
                          Here you go. The servo fits nice and snug in the pocket. Just peel the little painted plastic piece off and pull the servo out with a little force and your good to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcus4 View Post

Not long now???? James, your killing me!!! LOL
                            The product page says mid-june....not long now! LOL

Comment

Here you go. The servo fits nice and snug in the pocket. Just peel the little painted plastic piece off and pull the servo out with a little force and your good to go.
                              Just be REALLY sure to remove any paint where you glue it back in (the glue needs to connect to foam, not paint)

Have seen several models from other brands fail hard on this important point.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• James where is the ubec located in the model? Is it easy to gain access to it to wire in the rc geeks centre burner?

Comment

James where is the ubec located in the model? Is it easy to gain access to it to wire in the rc geeks centre burner?
                                  It's easily accessible:

Click image for larger version

Name:	15597984916256292235305375529688.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	198530
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Awesome thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

It's easily accessible:

Click image for larger version

Name:	15597984916256292235305375529688.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	198530
                                      Can I just confirm that I would wire in the rc geeks centre burner by splicing it in on the black and red wires between the EC5 connector and the UBEC? Or would it be spliced in on wires after the UBEC running to the Receiver/control board?

Comment

• I'm guessing splice it in after the ubec between the ubec and receiver/control board otherwise centre burner will receive the full 22.2 volts of the 6s pack

Comment

Can I just confirm that I would wire in the rc geeks centre burner by splicing it in on the black and red wires between the EC5 connector and the UBEC? Or would it be spliced in on wires after the UBEC running to the Receiver/control board?
                                          If I read RC Geeks instructions on his webpage correctly, you don't splice it in anywhere before or after the UBEC. It requires a 7.2 volt power source. The UBEC puts out 5V. If you splice it at the EC5 connector, you'll get all 22.2V. You need a 2s LiPo or equivalent.
                                          The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!

Comment

Working...
                                          X