X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    If I read RC Geeks instructions on his webpage correctly, you don't splice it in anywhere before or after the UBEC. It requires a 7.2 volt power source. The UBEC puts out 5V. If you splice it at the EC5 connector, you'll get all 22.2V. You need a 2s LiPo or equivalent.
    http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
    Exactly. I soldered another BEC (Castle) and programmed it to output 7.2V, and used that to feed the centerburner. You can either go that route, or use the separate 2S Lipo.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Exactly. I soldered another BEC (Castle) and programmed it to output 7.2V, and used that to feed the centerburner. You can either go that route, or use the separate 2S Lipo.
      Oh that's a pain in the arse. I do have a number of 2s lipos just a pain to have something else to connect up everytime. Dont think I want another BEC in there though so guess I'll just opt for the 2s battery option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

Oh that's a pain in the arse. I do have a number of 2s lipos just a pain to have something else to connect up everytime. Dont think I want another BEC in there though so guess I'll just opt for the 2s battery option.
        Another BEC, once wired in and programmed to put out the voltage you want, is permanent and you no longer need to think about it. Another battery has to go in and out every time. Seems to me that that would be more steps to fly the plane than a permanently installed piece. The level of PITA is how you perceived it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Another BEC, once wired in and programmed to put out the voltage you want, is permanent and you no longer need to think about it. Another battery has to go in and out every time. Seems to me that that would be more steps to fly the plane than a permanently installed piece. The level of PITA is how you perceived it.
          True. But it's also more expense. I already have the 2s lipos. Guess I could go with those to start with then move over to another BEC later.

How and where would you actually wire in another BEC just to control the centre burner? I'm not the quickest when it comes to electronics. Anyone got a diagram of how this would be achieved?

Comment

• I went the separate BEC route and it works great. No fussing with a 2S.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• What BECS are you guys using? Guess just get the cheapest one possible that is capable of 7 volts? And would it be a bec or another ubec?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

True. But it's also more expense. I already have the 2s lipos. Guess I could go with those to start with then move over to another BEC later.

How and where would you actually wire in another BEC just to control the centre burner? I'm not the quickest when it comes to electronics. Anyone got a diagram of how this would be achieved?
                You wire it at the same place the stock BEC is wired. However, you must select a BEC that will handle input of 22.2V and be able to put out 7.2 volts. A HobbyKing external BEC can be found for about 10 bucks. It's the shipping that's the killer unless you are buying other stuff at the same time to add up to their minimum.

Comment

• I used a Castle 10A I had laying around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	198598
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• This should do the trick shouldn't it?

Comment

• The VMFA-115 Silver Eagles is coming along nicely. Painted the cockpit a darker gray and now still printing all my ordnance and have to paint them up.

Going with dirtydee's Sidewinders, gbu-12s and his litening targeting pod as well as 2 tanks I found on Thingiverse.

Can't wait to see how she looks with a full load-out!

Comment

• That's sweet looking James!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Awesome James!! Who makes the stand you are using?

Comment

• Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post
                            The VMFA-115 Silver Eagles is coming along nicely. Painted the cockpit a darker gray and now still printing all my ordnance and have to paint them up.

Going with dirtydee's Sidewinders, gbu-12s and his litening targeting pod as well as 2 tanks I found on Thingiverse.

Can't wait to see how she looks with a full load-out!
                            Looking good! Post up the sidewinders mounted to the wintips whenever you get a chance. It looks like it should mount to the tips roughly the right spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                              I used a Castle 10A I had laying around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	198598
                              becareful that one is 10amp peak. Curious to see what the 8bec rating is.
                              Planes
                              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• You're learning Thisguy65!!:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post

Looking good! Post up the sidewinders mounted to the wintips whenever you get a chance. It looks like it should mount to the tips roughly the right spot.
                                  Here you go!

Comment

• Beautiful :Cool:
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Nice! Looks like a good fit

Comment

• I have a balance port plug that I wired to the centerburner tap off pin 1 for ground and pun 3 for 2s off of the main battery. Less weight. It's not on all the time and the current draw is minimal. Unlike fpv gear, it only draws when the LEDs are on. Where as fpv gear draws as soon as you plu in until you unplug.

Comment

• I spoke to Chris at the rc geek through email and apparently the centre burner is at it's best and brightest at 8 volts. So I ordered this:-

Comment

Working...
                                          X