Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question for those who have already done the jolly Roger's scheme. Where are there some decent photos of the scheme to get correct placement of decals. Also the black anti glare around the cock pit and down the nose. In terms of how far the point goes to the rear this seems to vary from almost stopping behind the canopy to some points finishing as far back as the vertical stabilizers. Anyone know the official position this should be. Ideally if someone with the scheme all done to correct geeky level could just post a shot of the top of the plane that would be ace. Still a while before my grey pnp arrives but wanna get it right when it eventually arrives.

Also got my F16 Pylon & ordinance set ordered now that I got an email to say they're back in stock ready to be shipped with the model when it arrives. To be as correct as possible what parts of the F16 kit should I use and which parts should I discard.?

Comment

• Guys, be sure you don't miss the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) we stickied to the top of the Military Jets forum. You can find the thread here.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Well, Part one is complete. The custom paint job with Callie Graphics. First let me say that this was my first paint job ever and had never touched an airbrush. I decided to go with the CF-18 Canada 150 Demonstration scheme. In 2017, Canada turned 150 yrs old and I was lucky enough to see this livery at 2 different Airshows that summer and it really grabbed me.

I sealed the jet with Eze-Kote, then airbrushed the complete jet with Tamiya acrylics, painstakingly applied the graphics (not one single stitch of paint stripped in the process) . Many of these graphics are so thin and easily deformable while others like the large red leaf spanning the fuse and wings gave me an ulcer just thinking about applying. Finally, I covered it all with Eze-Kote again.

I have installed a Jet Fan 90mm with HET 1680 motor that runs 8s. I replaced the Elevator servos with Hitec HS 5085MGs, Blue box is only running the gear and lights, with all other surfaces direct to the receiver.

Part two is hooking up all the surfaces and dialing them in.

P.S. A real loud shout out to Callie for her graphics. They are amazing and even a noob like myself can make them shine as they should.
        ​ ​ ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpeg
Views:	995
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	206695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpeg
Views:	989
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	206696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpeg
Views:	940
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	206697Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpeg
Views:	963
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	206698Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpeg
Views:	918
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	206699Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpeg
Views:	964
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	206700Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpeg
Views:	926
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	206701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpeg
Views:	980
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	206702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.jpeg
Views:	960
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	206703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.jpeg
Views:	946
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	206704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpeg
Views:	974
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	206705 ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
        Last edited by Racer686; Jul 18, 2019, 07:58 PM. Reason: Try to get photos to show

Comment

• Broken links for the images my friend...
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I agree that this would be an ideal setup, but it does require both BECs to deliver more or less the exact same voltage. Otherwise, once the capacitor is filled (which under normal circumstances it will be), you will be back to square one in terms of current creeping from one BEC to the other (which needless to say is bad)
            that 3000uf cap will charge up with in a few sub milli seconds upon connection about the resistive/capacitive path.

the output voltages of both BEC's could be verified with a multimeter beforehand, if in doubt (actually not a bad idea) and normally around 5V, to the RX no matter what load is the output shouldn't change. the castle creations cc 10A bec output can be programmed via usb programmer and some other brands come with 5V, 5.5V or 6V jumpers just make sure both are matching.

There is also another method, one can build a diode OR circuit and essentially eliminate the very unlikely possibility of current leakage issues from one bec to another.

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

that 3000uf cap will charge up with in a few sub milli seconds upon connection about the resistive/capacitive path.

the output voltages of both BEC's could be verified with a multimeter beforehand, if in doubt (actually not a bad idea) and normally around 5V, to the RX no matter what load is the output shouldn't change. the castle creations cc 10A bec output can be programmed via usb programmer and some other brands come with 5V, 5.5V or 6V jumpers just make sure both are matching.

There is also another method, one can build a diode OR circuit and essentially eliminate the very unlikely possibility of current leakage issues from one bec to another.
              Yes, a diode would be safer.

My point is simply that people cannot assume two BECs delivering the same voltage. And a capacitor doesn't negate that problem.

Personally I do use programmed BECs, but even so I would not trust them to be equal enough for there not to be any unwanted current at all.

If you want a redundant power supply, there are far better ways of going about that, such as a balancing BEC, a PowerBox, or an Emcotec DPSI (or any of the other 10 or so suitable gadgets specifically designed for that purpose)
              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                Broken links for the images my friend...
                Still? Cuz I see them in the post now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Racer686 View Post

Still? Cuz I see them in the post now.
                  Yeah, still broken links here.

They work fine over on RCG though.
                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Yep still.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yep still.
                      I tried a second time. Do you upload attachments, then pick the size-thumbnail,small, med, large etc to get them to show?

Sorry guys, i"ve never shared any pix on Hobbysquawk before.

P.S. I see the pix when I scroll through the posts on the page AND I also see dead people!

Comment

• Can see them now...Looks good! Nicely done!

Took mine out tonight before the next round of rain came in. Flight was decent but the landing stunk. Bit of a cross but not too bad. The problem was the unmowed, unmaintained grass...Coupled with a badly placed divet and it spun around pretty violently. Broke the nose gear trailing strut (just that plastic brace piece, thankfully not the nose strut/gear itself) and snapped one of the pylons. Other than that she survived unscathed. I guess I am not aloud to have a model pristine for more than two minutes.

Here's the video...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Yes, a diode would be safer.

My point is simply that people cannot assume two BECs delivering the same voltage. And a capacitor doesn't negate that problem.

Personally I do use programmed BECs, but even so I would not trust them to be equal enough for there not to be any unwanted current at all.

If you want a redundant power supply, there are far better ways of going about that, such as a balancing BEC, a PowerBox, or an Emcotec DPSI (or any of the other 10 or so suitable gadgets specifically designed for that purpose)
                          Far better ways are available, depending on how far one wants to go. There is only so much bang for the buck of the desired scope one wishes to reach, in this case, we are simply talking about two buck regulators. add a cap and your good with two working/matching buck regulators.... done, and at virtually no risk for the count. This way real estate and weight aren't really additional factors in its own simplicity. even a diode OR circuit in my opinion is overkill

Comment

Well, Part one is complete. The custom paint job with Callie Graphics. First let me say that this was my first paint job ever and had never touched an airbrush. I decided to go with the CF-18 Canada 150 Demonstration scheme. In 2017, Canada turned 150 yrs old and I was lucky enough to see this livery at 2 different Airshows that summer and it really grabbed me.

I sealed the jet with Eze-Kote, then airbrushed the complete jet with Tamiya acrylics, painstakingly applied the graphics (not one single stitch of paint stripped in the process) . Many of these graphics are so thin and easily deformable while others like the large red leaf spanning the fuse and wings gave me an ulcer just thinking about applying. Finally, I covered it all with Eze-Kote again.

I have installed a Jet Fan 90mm with HET 1680 motor that runs 8s. I replaced the Elevator servos with Hitec HS 5085MGs, Blue box is only running the gear and lights, with all other surfaces direct to the receiver.

P.S. A real loud shout out to Callie for her graphics. They are amazing and even a noob like myself can make them shine as they should.

Awesome work Racer686!!

Comment

Can see them now...Looks good! Nicely done!

Took mine out tonight before the next round of rain came in. Flight was decent but the landing stunk. Bit of a cross but not too bad. The problem was the unmowed, unmaintained grass...Coupled with a badly placed divet and it spun around pretty violently. Broke the nose gear trailing strut (just that plastic brace piece, thankfully not the nose strut/gear itself) and snapped one of the pylons. Other than that she survived unscathed. I guess I am not aloud to have a model pristine for more than two minutes.

Here's the video...

I feel for you, just got my grey one all put together and almost ready for it's maiden flight this weekend and, I forgot that I didn't put the wing screws in yet, well you know what happens when you pick one of these jets up by the wing but without the wing screws installed, aaaaaaahhhhh, yes I dropped my brand spanking new grey one, big dent in the wing, dents in the fuselage on top of course where my big fat fingers tried to catch it, oh well, not prestine anymore..................

Comment

• That is really nice work on the weathering. Can you share your technique? I’m not fully happy with any of the methods I’ve tried thus far.

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                Glad you guys aren't being OCD about Hornets, and with that here's my first attempt at weathering a foam jet. Tried to keep it subtle. I need to get some better sidewinders, stole these from the F-4. Gotta get out and fly it again soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	206637Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	206636

Comment

Well, Part one is complete. The custom paint job with Callie Graphics. First let me say that this was my first paint job ever and had never touched an airbrush. I decided to go with the CF-18 Canada 150 Demonstration scheme. In 2017, Canada turned 150 yrs old and I was lucky enough to see this livery at 2 different Airshows that summer and it really grabbed me.

​ ​ ​
                                  That looks amazing!! I know I sent you a burner for the F-35... would be great to see the tail of this one lit up as well!
                                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Like gooniac i`m also trying to decide witch version i want grey or blue what to do ?

Comment

Your paint job looks incredible. This is one of my favorite schemes and the one I've planned on using for this model. If you are a stickler for accuracy you may want to consider changing the roundels to the post 1965 version which has the modern maple leaf shape. Generally, I've seen it the other way where RC companies produce a Canadian model they put the modern roundel on an older plane. (i.e the Durafly Vampire). I tend to model Canadian planes so this tends to jump out at me. See below for the genereal evolution of the RCAF Roundel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84-roundel-evolution.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	206742
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                        Glad you guys aren't being OCD about Hornets, and with that here's my first attempt at weathering a foam jet. Tried to keep it subtle. I need to get some better sidewinders, stole these from the F-4. Gotta get out and fly it again soon!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	114 Size:	129.7 KB ID:	206637Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	122 Size:	289.7 KB ID:	206636
                                        Well, some of us are lol. VMFA-232 used to have A models, so you're good in my book

I just think it's mildly amusing, for instance, the lengths some people will go to add scale details to a paint scheme that was never even used on the variant of the model it's going on. But that's just me personally. Different things are important to different people.

I need to attempt weathering one of these days to squeeze a little bit more realism out of these models. You did a really great job.

Comment

• I build to what I see and remember. I have seen the Blues several times, and always thought the F/A-18 was a great looking airframe, though I never really differentiated between models with the exception of Legacy vs Super Hornets vs Growlers. When I build my "C" it will be as I see it in my mind's eye and include features that are relevant to that criteria. If adding Sidewinders to a naked wing tip, or mounting wing/center-line fuel tanks presents the model better than without on this airframe to you, then why not, IMHO, even though the actual might not ever carry these. To each their own I think and a bit-o-personalizing makes our models our own and I like that. Nothing more fun than adding or removing items to or from an airframe to give a different look. Bravo Zulu to those who take a OEM kit and make it look better or more realistic even at the expense of complete authenticity. This is a hobby after all and not a cheap one. Do things that give you the 'old warm and fuzzy' when someone compliments your work, add details no one might ever see just because you know its there, add a bit-o-whimsy or patriotism with no regard to realism if that is what makes you smile. Life's too short...I'm just sayin'. Best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X