Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

understand

but uggh this is why i dont like belly landing it messes up the airplane underside way too much
    Plopping or Skidding your Jet down onto the Grass or Dirt isn't 'Landing' ... it's a mild form of 'Crashing' !!

Comment

• Great flight today! Starting to get her dialed in nicely. Fantastic jet!

My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post

Plopping or Skidding your Jet down onto the Grass or Dirt isn't 'Landing' ... it's a mild form of 'Crashing' !!
        well i didnt want to be the one to say it, if that is how you prefer to rationalize it i understand that as well

Comment

The LEFlaps and Gear Doors are going to really set this one apart from my other projects.

​​​​​​When watching the FSA perform the LowSpeed Maneuvers during displays, pay particular attention to the use of TEFlaps and LEFlaps. Sometimes even in Afterburner, these Flaps are being deployed. There is something to be said for the Aerodynamic advantage they provide in these realms. Why wouldn't you take advantage of these features on your Foamie F/A-18C ?? 'I'mJustSayin'

Click image for larger version

Name:	blueangels_2_of_3-scaled1000.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	206892
          On the full size, the deployment of the slats are completely automatic, and based largely on airspeed, so yes they can certainly be seen with full thrust - until speed picks up. In fact, most fighters have some degree of slats deployed quite far up the speed range. Have a look at some of the many ride-along BA vids on youtube. The gradual reduction of slats as they accelerate is quite fascinating (and logical)

The reason why this is not terribly tempting on these small models imo is simply weight. It totally killed the flight envelope of the T-45 for example.
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Yep, but the T-45 slats are cool and a lot of fun!!! But heavy, too....

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
              I just did it again! I told my wife "I need to run to Sherman Williams..." She gave me "the look" and said "it's SHERWIN..."

Well maybe they SHOULD CHANGE IT TO SHERMAN!!!
              One easy way to remember it is to think like an advertiser. "It's a Sure Win with Sherwin Williams Paint!"

Yes, I'm Sure, man.

Comment

• Word of warning guys!!

I haven't seen anyone else besides James from MRC who crashed his F-18 on maiden have something mounted on the belly of the F-18, today I tried a drop tank but only after I put four flights on it, including the maiden, then I mounted the drop tank on the 5th flight. CG was checked and perfect, it took off and instantly I knew I was in trouble, it yawed to the right really bad, ailerons weren't turning it hardly at all, kicked in rudder and got it to turn left, it almost rolled over on it's side and crashed a couple of times just like James did with his, but mine never got inverted, ailerons by them selves could not hold it straight, then I realized that rudder was the only way I was going to fly and land this wild Hornet, gear was down already, and with almost full left aileron and using rudders, I was able to bring it around and land it without a scratch, I couldn't use flaps because I couldn't let go of the sticks to put them down, glad I didn't use flaps, no telling what would have happened, anyway it's in one piece, the next flight I removed the drop tank and it flew straight and level like the first four flights, so be warned if you're going to try a drop tank. Here it is before the wild flight with the drop tank mounted, and here it is now after I weathered it up, drop tank will be for display only, going to try some ordinace next time and see how that goes. I might have over did it on the weathering but this is my first attempt so lets not be to critical...........lol.

So be ready is all I can say if your going to try a drop tank, my tank is from the FW F-15 and my mount from the F-16, it is mounted nice and straight, anyone with an explanation on why my drop tank caused this out of control flight????

Comment

• Looks great! Glad we have a test pilot crew out there testing the ordinance for us Keep the good work!

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    I might have over did it on the weathering but this is my first attempt so lets not be to critical...........lol.
                    DC, No criticism from this guy, looks great, might even add a bit. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• WellNow,.. Some of us feel that if your 'Warbird' cannot be flown like this, .... then, what's the point of it all !!! Why not just get a Avanti then, and paint it Gray ?? Hahahahaha. Might consider making them there Stores Drop-able, ya reckon !! ...in case you gotta Lose them in a hurry!

Heavy 'DirtyJets' fly very differently than their Clean, Demonstration Configured counterparts ... it is a Skill that must be learned, and Mastered just like everything else. GL

Name:	36473322136_7264b6a6f9_b.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	206966Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1086.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	206967Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_232421_748.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	206968Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190111_083255.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	206969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190720_182221.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	206970Click image for larger version

Name:	an-fa-18c-hornet-assigned-to-strike-fighter-squadron-one-four-seven-vfa-147-e04875-640.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	206971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190228_225841.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	206972

Comment

WellNow,.. Some of us feel that if your 'Warbird' cannot be flown like this, .... then, what's the point of it all !!! Why not just get a Avanti then, and paint it Gray ?? Hahahahaha. Might consider making them there Stores Drop-able, ya reckon !! ...in case you gotta Lose them in a hurry!

Heavy 'DirtyJets' fly very differently than their Clean, Demonstration Configured counterparts ... it is a Skill that must be learned, and Mastered just like everything else. GL

Name:	36473322136_7264b6a6f9_b.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	206966Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1086.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	206967Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_232421_748.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	206968Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190111_083255.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	206969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190720_182221.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	206970Click image for larger version

Name:	an-fa-18c-hornet-assigned-to-strike-fighter-squadron-one-four-seven-vfa-147-e04875-640.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	206971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190228_225841.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	206972
                        You mount up a drop tank on your F-18 and tell me how you like it and see if you have them there skills your talking about..............

Comment

You mount up a drop tank on your F-18 and tell me how you like it and see if you have them there skills your talking about..............
                          Ubetcha !! That's the plan... I'll even UTube it for ya !!! Hahahahaha

Those Stores of yours are most likely 3DP ..?? I'm guessing
                          Kinda Heavy. The CG of those things must be calculated for, as well as their incidence along the Longitudinal Axis... Mostly I use Foam for my OrdPackages,... Keeps the weight Negligible. Drag and Incidence are then the real critical factors on my stuff. Cheers !!

You can always Make them Drop-able !! Or just fly a 'Naked' Fleet Hornet around !!

Seriously though, have you got another Jet you can mount these things onto and Evaluate them. Check the flight characteristics and see how the airplane reacts to them ?? That might be a start if you're serious about solving your controllability issue. I've been flying stuff Hangin' Down off my Jets for as long as I can remember.... Soooooooooo, I guess I don't really understand what the problem is.

I've got stuff hanging off a E-Flite UMX F-16C here... and that thing could barely fly itself around to begin with !! So yes, I understand that there are challenges to overcome with this wing stores Business !!! Hahahahaha

Name:	IMG_6291.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	206989

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	206984

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171119_154355 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	206985
                          Last edited by Bobaroo; Jul 20, 2019, 06:54 PM. Reason: Attempting to be more encouraging, constructive and helpful with my responses

Comment

Ubetcha !! That's the plan... I'll even UTube it for ya !!! Hahahahaha

Those Stores of yours are most likely 3DP ..?? I'm guessing
                            Kinda Heavy. The CG of those things must be calculated for, as well as their incidence along the Longitudinal Axis... Mostly I use Foam for my OrdPackages,... Keeps the weight Negligible. Drag and Incidence are then the real critical factors on my stuff. Cheers !!

You can always Make them Drop-able !! Or just fly a 'Naked' Fleet Hornet around !!

Seriously though, have you got another Jet you can mount these things onto and Evaluate them. Check the flight characteristics and see how the airplane reacts to them ?? That might be a start if you're serious about solving your controllability issue. I've been flying stuff Hangin' Down off my Jets for as long as I can remember.... Soooooooooo, I guess I don't really understand what the problem is.

I've got stuff hanging off a E-Flite UMX F-16C here... and that thing could barely fly itself around to begin with !! So yes, I understand that there are challenges to overcome with this wing stores Business !!! Hahahahaha

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6291.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	206989

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	206984

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20171119_154355 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	206985
                            I fly my 90mm F-16, F-15, F-4, A-4, Mig 21, Eurofighter, L-39, A-10, Yak 130, I fly them all with either drop tanks and ordinance or one or the other, but this is the first time I tried a centerline tank, two tanks on the wings might be okay, I might give that a try but no more centerline drop tank for me, so I'm used to flying heavy but the F-18 was nuts, and my CG was the same as without the tank, it's actually a little ahead of the CG point I was using with no tank, makes me wonder if James may of had this problem along with his CG being off? Will be looking forward to your video because I'm not trying that again...........lol.

Comment

I fly my 90mm F-16, F-15, F-4, A-4, Mig 21, Eurofighter, L-39, A-10, Yak 130, I fly them all with either drop tanks and ordinance or one or the other, but this is the first time I tried a centerline tank, two tanks on the wings seem to be okay, I might give that a try but no more centerline drop tank for me, so I'm used to flying heavy but the F-18 was nuts, and my CG was the same as without the tank, it's actually a little ahead of the CG point I was using, makes me wonder if James may of had this problem along with his CG being off? Will be looking forward to your video because I'm not trying that again...........lol.

Outstanding !!! .... Fair Enough. Hahahahaha. Incidence is probably a more Critical component then on this one !! Notice the Wedge shaped Pylons on all of my stuff. Get the Nose of your CLTank Drooped a bit below the Longitudinal CL. That'll help with the Airflow interface under there.

I run a CLTank on Everything.... MiG -21/A-4/F-15/F-16 and the F-4. Often only the Centerline Tank . I'd start with a CLTank on one of those. I'd recommend the F-4 as it handles many different configurations so well with very little trim changes. if..... you are feeling it !! Cheers and GL.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180423_093544_350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	206995Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180320_191145_138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	206996Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190403_185032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	206997

Comment

• One thing I was thinking of that hasn't really been mentioned much if at all is how scale this model takes off. The older "E" version would pop up so unscale like no matter what I would do it drove me mad. This model lifts off so easily and gentle it's almost taken for granted. Every single time. Rotation is a gentle affair, she never POPS up, simply lifts her nose gently and that's it. Yes, sometimes it's the little things in this hobby, lol.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• With the centre line drop tank issue could it be that as well as adding weight and drag it is also covering up the cheater vents so you are also losing thrust? Add all those together and that's your recipe for disaster? Just my thought on it. I could be way off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                                    With the centre line drop tank issue could it be that as well as adding weight and drag it is also covering up the cheater vents so you are also losing thrust? Add all those together and that's your recipe for disaster? Just my thought on it. I could be way off.
                                    Good thought, I did think about that when I installeld it, but there is plenty of room around it to get air into the cheater hole but it does block a direct flow of air into the cheater hole, it had something to do with the air flow and drag like you say maybe, all it wanted to do was roll over to the right as if I was trying to enter a spin but those twin rudders is what saved this one because aileron alone was not enough, practice paid off this time, I fly all my EDF jets sometimes with rudder only to keep in practice with the left hand, anyway the elevator was okay, I had enough to flare and all that, it rotated nicely to, so elevator was not a problem, CG was just right on, checked that several times before the flight. It looked good thats for sure, but I'm not going to risk another flight, I will just taxi around with it on I guess for now, I'm sure someone else will try it soon, going to test the ordinace this morning and see what happens, will report back later.

Comment

Word of warning guys!!

I haven't seen anyone else besides James from MRC who crashed his F-18 on maiden have something mounted on the belly of the F-18, today I tried a drop tank but only after I put four flights on it, including the maiden, then I mounted the drop tank on the 5th flight. CG was checked and perfect, it took off and instantly I knew I was in trouble, it yawed to the right really bad, ailerons weren't turning it hardly at all, kicked in rudder and got it to turn left, it almost rolled over on it's side and crashed a couple of times just like James did with his, but mine never got inverted, ailerons by them selves could not hold it straight, then I realized that rudder was the only way I was going to fly and land this wild Hornet, gear was down already, and with almost full left aileron and using rudders, I was able to bring it around and land it without a scratch, I couldn't use flaps because I couldn't let go of the sticks to put them down, glad I didn't use flaps, no telling what would have happened, anyway it's in one piece, the next flight I removed the drop tank and it flew straight and level like the first four flights, so be warned if you're going to try a drop tank. Here it is before the wild flight with the drop tank mounted, and here it is now after I weathered it up, drop tank will be for display only, going to try some ordinace next time and see how that goes. I might have over did it on the weathering but this is my first attempt so lets not be to critical...........lol.

So be ready is all I can say if your going to try a drop tank, my tank is from the FW F-15 and my mount from the F-16, it is mounted nice and straight, anyone with an explanation on why my drop tank caused this out of control flight????
                                      Sounds quite a bit like what James had too. While his model was definitely tail heavy, there was also clearly more than that going on in his case too.

How was the tank mounted anyway? With large, longitudinal tanks, it is clearly paramount that they are mounted in a way that prevents opposite weather-waning. If using a regular slot/groove attachment, it could very well be that is indeed imposes a lot of opposite yaw if the tip of the tank is allowed to hang toward the outside of the turn.
                                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                        One thing I was thinking of that hasn't really been mentioned much if at all is how scale this model takes off. The older "E" version would pop up so unscale like no matter what I would do it drove me mad. This model lifts off so easily and gentle it's almost taken for granted. Every single time. Rotation is a gentle affair, she never POPS up, simply lifts her nose gently and that's it. Yes, sometimes it's the little things in this hobby, lol.
                                        I love that part as well, I hold just a little elevator as I'm powering up and it rotates very scale with the nose starting to rise and then the mains, then let the gear come up and pull into a nice steep bank climb out with a roll at the top, looks very scale for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Sounds quite a bit like what James had too. While his model was definitely tail heavy, there was also clearly more than that going on in his case too.

How was the tank mounted anyway? With large, longitudinal tanks, it is clearly paramount that they are mounted in a way that prevents opposite weather-waning. If using a regular slot/groove attachment, it could very well be that is indeed imposes a lot of opposite yaw if the tip of the tank is allowed to hang toward the outside of the turn.
                                          It is mounted with a slot/hook attachment, might not be enough maybe, like I said, very strange behavior and a lot like what James had to deal with, I just may mount a smaller tank like the on the L-39 just to see how that one reacts, the F-15 is a large tank and a lot of drag, also curious to see how Barbaroo does his and his flight report.

Comment

Working...
                                          X