Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• It almost stopped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

Shallow (not enough to start tipping), rapid S-turns can slow down the plane. And when you're below take-off speed, full up-elevator - create drag. Every bit can help.

Or just introduce some slight toe-out for some ground friction.

Comment

• Your other option, Aros, is to really channel that F-18 pilot mentality, and land that bird like you're landing on the Nimitz - put that sucker down RIGHT AT the near edge of the runway.

I was told years ago, you could always tell whether your airline pilot had been a Navy/USMC pilot versus an Air Force pilot. If the airliner passes over the end of the runway, lazily glides farther down, and then touches down somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the runway, you have an Air Force veteran pilot. If the airliner lands solid right at the end-of-runway stripes, you have a Navy or USMC veteran pilot.

After all, if you don't touch down until a third of the way down the carrier, you ain't stopping. At least, not until you splash down off the front of the ship.

Comment

• H, The truth is sometimes funny, too. You've made me smile with your comparison comment. Thank you for that. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• True

Comment

• So where do you land LB? Answer: Where ever the wheels touch! Love you Bud!

Comment

• lol, good stuff folks. The thing I love about this hobby is you can never stop learning.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

lol, good stuff folks. The thing I love about this hobby is you can never stop learning.
                    That, and none of us can feel too terribly superior, as we've all had bad landings.

The second time I landed my Stinger, it rolled right to the end of the runway and into the weeds. The landing I actually caught on video, bounced like 5 times. The good landing last weekend, of course, was just out of the camera view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                      I was told years ago, you could always tell whether your airline pilot had been a Navy/USMC pilot versus an Air Force pilot. If the airliner passes over the end of the runway, lazily glides farther down, and then touches down somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the runway, you have an Air Force veteran pilot. If the airliner lands solid right at the end-of-runway stripes, you have a Navy or USMC veteran pilot.

After all, if you don't touch down until a third of the way down the carrier, you ain't stopping. At least, not until you splash down off the front of the ship.
                      Not necessarily - airports have glideslope indicator lights that will guide the plane to a designated touchdown spot. And airliners don't have the beefed-up landing gear required for carrier landings.

And the landings should not eat up so much of the landing strip, because they still have to safely and comfortably brake.

Some fliers claim you can tell if your commercial pilot was in the Air Force or the Navy depending on the smoothness of their landings.

Comment

• I think you missed the point...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                          So where do you land LB? Answer: Where ever the wheels touch! Love you Bud!
                          HDWY, A long time pilot and mentor to me once said, "You can always tell who were the military pilots versus the private pilots. Just look at the rubber on the A/Cs' tires." Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

going through into the other parking area..... it looked pretty close to that light pole too

looks awesome in the air!
                            Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              I think you missed the point...
                              Which was? I was responding to (and quoted) the side point/"did you know" trivia.

If "the point" was not to eat up so much of the landing area and land "carrier style" - the recent FW struts and trunnions may be better able to handle those, but that simply transfers the failure point to the mounts and surrounding foam.

If he is unable to touch down sooner for whatever reason (we weren't there, so there could non-evident reasons, such as line-of-site view) and not eat up tarmac, then he could might as well bite the bullet and install brakes, too.

Comment

• Yeah, you are still missing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Yeah, you are still missing it.
                                  Whatever point you think I'm missing - whatever..

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Whatever point you think I'm missing - whatever..
                                    It was primarily facetious.

Comment

• By the way, I worked Radar/Nav in the USAF, which included ILS/Glideslope. I'm quite familiar with how it works, and how it's applied to working aircraft.

That, however, doesn't change the humorous anecdote that was shared with me, and which I shared here.

Comment

• Just in case anyone was curious, I chose the west approach which is the low approach (no trees)...The east approach is the high approach which are very tall trees right before the threshold which can be problematic. However, on the low approach there is a little curb "island" that jets out with a very plane-hungry fire hydrant at the end so I always have to extend my landing a bit to clear that. Normally with many models it's a non issue but this jet really likes to keep extending the roll out, and with the extended landing point I run out of runway fast, hence the turn and loss of visual yesterday.

I should have selected the track/football field but I was too lazy to walk it over there. Yet another lesson how laziness has proven to be a detriment!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Shallow (not enough to start tipping), rapid S-turns can slow down the plane. And when you're below take-off speed, full up-elevator - create drag. Every bit can help.

Or just introduce some slight toe-out for some ground friction.
                                          You'll find toe-in much better as it has an inbuilt tendency to correct any wandering (Good news)
                                          Toe-out on the other hand has an inbuilt tendency to exacerbate any deviation from straight.... kinda like a gyro in reverse! (Absolutely NOT good news!)
                                          just like your family chariot

Comment

Working...
                                          X