X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

I don't see this crazy roll out flying at 5000' when its hot out because it still slows down nicely to land. My Elfite Phantom rolled farther

Comment

• Can't do toe in on the F-18. It will not allow the wheels to retract.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

How about making a functional arresting hook and wire? I would consider making a system if i fly off a paved runway. 😁

Comment

• Originally posted by sisaksen View Post

How about making a functional arresting hook and wire? I would consider making a system if i fly off a paved runway. 😁
          Actually, for the purpose of just slowing down the plane on landing, something that looks much like an arresting hook that just drops down and drags on the ground would help. Enough spring to it that it doesn't try to lift the rear of the plane up, and just enough surface area to provide drag, and it would slow down the roll, while being able to be out of the way for take-off.

Comment

That would be a sight to see. I can see the front gear catch wire and cartwheel down runway. Awesome! You do realize those carrier landing are done at a correct approach angle and speed, and have gear that are designed for deck landings....
            Just learn to land the plane slowly. Any slower here I’d be going backwards.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	F5458D9D-61EC-47A8-92B0-4E9BF23B1E0D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	210798

Comment

• Ooooh, that looks like a tailstrike in the making ...

Comment

This is more immediately workable …

Click image for larger version  Name:	Net-Barrier-1140x400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	210803

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post

That would be a sight to see. I can see the front gear catch wire and cartwheel down runway. Awesome! You do realize those carrier landing are done at a correct approach angle and speed, and have gear that are designed for deck landings....
                  Click image for larger version Name:	F5458D9D-61EC-47A8-92B0-4E9BF23B1E0D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	210798
                  Learn to fly their models at/near stall speeds in various attitudes and conditions is something the vast majority of pilots would massively benefit from.

Anyone can fly fast. It's the slow end that requires skill - and that's a skill set that also helps a lot in landing context.
                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Well, finally got my Grey ARF+ (EU). Late to the party, but that obviously has its bonuses in this case.

A few observations:

1. Poor taileron design

As most know by now, the tailerons, or more precisely the mounts, leave a lot to be desired. Receiving a fairly late batch makes for some interesting observations. By now, this problem has been well known by all parties, not least FW, and my model shows fairly clear evidence of attempts to remedy matters. For better and worse. My mounts are glued in very, very well, but at the expense of 10-15 mm of foam above the plastic being compressed and squezed in the process to the point where it is soft and springy. See attached pictures.

Overall, a case of poor design in the first place, and attempts at mitigating issues just causing new ones. I will not return it over this though, I would more than likely get one or the other problem on a new shipment anyway. Will solve by removing the creased/soft foam and replace with a wooden insert instead. Should provide better load distribution from the tailerons anyway, and I more than likely will need some weight back there for CG anyway.

Almost tempted to give up a tiny bit of thrust to run a carbon tube across the fuselage to give the tailerons proper rigidity.

2. BB mounted precisely where batteries need to go

Nothing unusual there, but getting a bit tired of this always being the case. Will remove the BB and extend the hatch as some others have done.

3. Pre-glued non-slip mat in battery bay.

This was an unwelcome first. Please leave the mat as an option as before, not pre-installed.

Non-slip mats work great as long as the strap holds firm pressure. Emphasis on "as long as". Small pieces of velcro is much safer.

Other than that, the model looks very good. But for a Freewing foamie, this is going to require a lot more work than usual to turn it into a safe and responsible setup.

Attached Files
                    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• It was a Blue Angel day yesterday. A successful maiden +5 on my F-18 while my club buddy put 4 flights on his A-4 (previously mine).

Yep...now with the F-18 dialed in, I'll decal her up.

Sean
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Does the c of g change much from gear up to gear down?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	F5458D9D-61EC-47A8-92B0-4E9BF23B1E0D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	210798
                          This looks awesome. May I ask what reference pictures you used for applying the jolly Rodger scheme? That's the scheme I'm doing mine in but actually finding it quite difficult to find reliable images online to go by in order to get it correct.

Dont suppose you have a pic of directly above your model do you? The main bit I'm struggling with is where to start and finish the black around the canopy. And how far down to come on the sides.

Comment

• Have to just say motion rc really do have excellent customer service. Yes I was frustrated having to wait 3 months for my base grey pnp. And yes I was even more frustrated when it finally arrived and had issues. But none if these issues are actually motion Rc fault. Yet their communication with me has been excellent and resolving my issues have been swift with replacement parts on the way. Cant thank them enough. Hopefully if weather permits should be able to maiden this weekend. Thanks again Pete at motion rc Europe 👍

Comment

• No, balance does not change significantly with the gear.

Comment

• Salute!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190819_204353.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	210940

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                  Salute!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190819_204353.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	210940
                                  RCJD, I am, I have, and I will. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LOVE that airbrake! Dang it Alpha, you should have pushed for it!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing it used in flight, or on the ground, to see its effectiveness.

Comment

• I just got my tail flash decals from Callie. I was considering the first one until I saw the one they used to while they were on the Kitty Hawk: very NICE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                                          I just got my tail flash decals from Callie. I was considering the first one until I saw the one they used to while they were on the Kitty Hawk: very NICE!!!
                                          I had initially thought of doing that one but liked the blue spine on the earlier version and try to shy away from large tail flash vinyl graphics as they can be difficult to apply and then often pull away in valleys. The later tail flash is cool though. I hope it goes on well for you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X