X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Your battery shouldn't be "all the way forward".... more like "most of the way back". See James' photos that show his battery position and finger balance placement:

Click image for larger version Name: Views: 0 Size: 144.5 KB ID: 194114 attachment Shipment on the water.... Pre-Order now! https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp (https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-35-lightning-ii-v3-70mm-edf-jet-pnp) Motion RC and Freewing are excited to announce our all

Glad you like the look of the plane, I hope you like its flight character even more! We worked hard on the surface detailing of the aircraft but also flew it back to back with the older 2010 version so constantly fine tune its flight envelope to both look and act the part of a modern 70mm scale trainer.
    Depends on the size and weight of the battery. With my Roaring Top 3300mAH and CHNL 3300mAH batteries, they line up to the first rounded square hollow on the battery plate towards the front - that gives me CG just a little forward of the plastic wing attachment block.

Comment

• I meant in context of the recommended Admiral 6s 4000 PRO as shown in James' pictures. For other batteries of other weights, you're right, position may change to hit that sweet spot just forward of the plastic wing attachment block as you have it.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        I meant in context of the recommended Admiral 6s 4000 PRO as shown in James' pictures. For other batteries of other weights, you're right, position may change to hit that sweet spot just forward of the plastic wing attachment block as you have it.
        OK - I don't believe AZFlyer mentioned what capacity battery he used, so could very well be the case he used a smaller battery, hence the forward position. Important thing is that he got the CG he wanted.

Comment

• Sorry to beat a dead horse. But I'm still confused on the CG. Is it 4mm or 60mm? That's a huge difference to get wrong. James, can you show me a picture of where you marked the bottom of the wing?

Comment

• I with you mtnbiker 63 ,the manual put the c of g at 4mm but everyone else is saying 60mm .Confusing or what .Surely if the 4 mm is not correct ,Freewing should come out and clarify what the correct c of g is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Hi guys, please see James' photos in this post #133 two pages ago to clarify the CG at which he and everyone else at Joe Nall flew the F-35:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...931#post197931

Measurements vary based on the point from which you're measuring... That's what's contributing to the confusion. The downsized reference drawing didn't help. But if you look at James' photos it clearly shows a physical reference point that is on everyone's aircraft that is visual (where the foam and plastic meet), and doesn't require a ruler or any guesswork. Look at the picture, match it, and you're good for maiden with slight nose heavy. Adjust per your preference from there on subsequent flights.

Step 1) Locate this position on your aircraft:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_40714 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.2 KB ID:	198385

Step 2) Put your finger at that position under the aircraft, with the aircraft upright, as shown in James' picture. That's the CG where all of our F-35 flight videos were flown. It's a more than safe starting point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_40713.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	198386

Freewing's CG is about 4mm forward of that point, which is still a safe CG, it's just hard to decipher from the diagram, hence these real life pictures.

Comment

• Thanks ,that clears the confusion up Quite straight forward it is on the plastic square on the wing .Thanks again

Comment

• Just maiden mine, great flyer with the 5000. Elevator definitely needs high rates . Aileron needs no more than low rates.
                  Using around 45-50%expo.
                  Only a few clicks of trim needed 👌

this is using the CG point James and Alpha suggested .

I will try with the lipo slightly more rearward and see if that helps with slowing her down on final

Comment

• After several flights on mine I have the CG set here (which is within the range in the manual) and it handles great if you like to fly high alpha stuff which I do :Silly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_161657929_iOS.jpg
Views:	1433
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	198397

TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• To simplify, how many millimeters forward of the plastic edge is your preferred CG located?

James and others are flying at the plastic edge. I fly ~4-6mm forward of the edge. It looks like you're flying about 25mm forward of the edge, if I'm reading your picture correctly. Which would be approaching tail-heavy but as you said, nice for high-alpha flying.

This bird has quite a wide CG range.

Comment

• I suspect that’s why people look at the CG drawing with suspicion - when was the last time they saw a CG range of 40mm.

Comment

•  

Comment

• That’s because they are NOT giving you a range.They Are giving you a fixed point measured a distance from a fixed point on the aircraft. None of the FW jets show a range in the instructions.

As far as the F-35, FreeWing and Motion should put a note on their sites that the manuals CG is wrong and how to measure the correct CY. And add an addendum to the kit.

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                            I suspect that’s why people look at the CG drawing with suspicion - when was the last time they saw a CG range of 40mm.

Comment

• Nice maiden! Nice lights!
                              She lands fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
                                Nice maiden! Nice lights!
                                She lands fast.
                                It was a maiden, give him time to learn how slow it can go. no one is going to try to see how slow they can land on the first flight.

Comment

• 6 flights on the new CG today - before was good. New CG is GREAT!!

Comment

• I would be happy to add to the product support page any updated CG information. That's what it's for...If I am given the proper updated CG I will gladly add it for folks.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

•  

Comment

• Nice video, looks like a sweet flyer for sure! :Cool:
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• urrl Do you think you could add a gear door sequencer to your lights so they turn off as your gear go up? It looks amazing BTW, can't wait to try it out for myself.

Comment

Working...
                                          X