Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL Hooray for jets and lasagna. I'm still trying to design a Radio that dispenses lasagna LOL. Hmm, maybe it's just easier to contact Alpha and ask for a C130 or C17 with a Lasagna Dispenser built into the cargo bay. Ha-ha

Your job definitelyyyyyyyy doesn't suck. :Cool:

Comment

Lasagna dispensing jet? Hmmmm? :)

I spent time with Alpha last week and shared some ideas but didn't pitch a lasagna dispensing jet. We even had pizza for lunch and it still didn't come to me, though I'm sure Dominos is already on it. ;)

Comment

We could be on to something here. LOL

Comment

Just joined the club with my preorder last night. Went for the pnp version. I'll fly it stock first, then experiment with flaperons.

Comment

Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
            Here's one of my favorite F-35 photos, taken at Edwards Air Force Base, California.
            .Click image for larger version Name:	F-35 Line Up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	196028
            So when is motion going to start selling the three different vertical stabilizers as a set so I can have all three?:Cool:

Comment

Quick - Contact Callie Graphics for those markings. The B and C will require a few mods. ;)

Comment

I am now officially an officer in the pre-order club! I am so pumped!!!

Comment

Quick - Contact Callie Graphics for those markings. The B and C will require a few mods. ;)
                  Shush...... they’ll never know;)

Comment

I know some have concerns about the weight of the plane compared to other 70mm class jets. Here are some wing loading numbers for comparison.

This is all based on a 551g Roaring Top 3700mAH 45C pack.

YAK-130
                    AUW:1903g
                    Wing Area:316.3 sq. in.
                    Wing Loading(oz/sq ft): 30.6
                    Cubic Wing Loading: 20.3

F-16 V2
                    AUW:1996g
                    Wing Area: 313 sq. in.
                    Wing Loading(oz/sq ft): 32.4
                    Cubic Wing Loading: 22

F-35 V3
                    AUW: 2251g
                    Wing Area: 391 sq. in.
                    Wing Loading(oz/sq ft): 29.2
                    Cubic Wing Loading: 17.2

And some more of the F-35 with larger packs:
                    Here are more reference wing loading based on larger packs:

Admiral Pro 4000mAH 60C (642g)
                    AUW:2342g
                    Wing Loading(oz/sq ft): 30.4
                    Cubic Wing Loading: 18.5

Admiral 5000mAH 50C (732g)
                    AUW:2432g
                    Wing Loading(oz/sq ft): 31.6
                    Cubic Wing Loading: 19.2

Comment

Nice! Should be a good flier! Thanks for the data! :Cool:

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-35 AF-1 Missiles.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	196217

Comment

I too am on that preorder train :Cool: Click image for larger version

Name:	2F0480CA-F024-482A-BF7D-7CD6BDED383F.jpeg
Views:	1449
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	196457

Comment

I think that video just sent me over the edge............LOL

Comment

Not so quick blip on flying the F-35 at Joe Nall.

I was there flying demos with the Freewing and Flightline products from Motion alongside James, and many other volunteers. It was my first time seeing the F-35 and F-18 in person.

Regarding those critiquing the live flights on YouTube and Facebook feeds from Joe Nall.
                                The people doing all of the critiquing were not there flying EDFs at Nall, not one of them.

The electric line at Nall sits squarely in the middle of the Main line and the 3D line. On the back side of the electric line is the control line circle, and people on the Electric line were not allowed to fly over or encroach on any of the other lines. It is a pretty tight area for fast EDFs and has trees behind and in front of the line. There was rarely a moment during the day that we didn’t have 10-15mph of wind, and keep in mind the wind down the runway and above the tree line were often opposite directions or a crosswind with plenty of gusts and turbulence.

The electric line had 5 stations, so at any given time that we were up flying the F-35 or F-18 on those live videos, the sky normally had 4 other airplanes of varying performance and pilot skill level up with us at any given moment. Deconflicting and respecting the skill/lack thereof of some of the often inexperienced flyers often defined how we got to fly the airplanes instead of how we wanted to. As an example, we would be at a high downwind in front of all airplanes and call turning in for a low pass, just to have someone in a little slow prop turn in right in front of us. It was beyond frustrating sometimes, but the pilots doing flights for Motion worked hard with their spotters and avoided many close mid airs while still demonstrating what the new airplanes can do. Three new models went out to Nall and flew in that environment, and all three came back from Nall in flying condition with over 40 flights on them.

Also keep in mind that the first flights by the volunteers on the F-35 and F-18 WAS THE FIRST TIME those people (including myself) had flown those aircraft and it wasn’t on their controller. This was on a LIVE feed to show off the product, and how well they flew even the first time out of the gate. So again, those doing all of the critiquing were
                                A. Not there flying the F-35 or F-18 for the first time.
                                B. Were not doing it on a live feed, nor in front of the people gathered on the electric line to watch the new products go up.

The flying.

I was first up to fly the F-35 on the live feed. Then a technical issue didn’t show my flight, but it was recorded on the good camera, and that video of all of our first impressions will come out soon.

The model flys incredible. I flew it on an Admiral 4000HD and also one of my Roaring Top 5500 70C batteries.

The jet is a complete smoke show, and a definite buy. I flew it gyro off the first couple times, then later with the gyro on. It’s the fastest stock 70mm EDF I’ve ever flown and is in the realm of 105mph. I have 25 EDFs, 70mm and up of my own.

The jet with a little wind was regularly taking off in less than 75 ft. It accelerates quickly after that, so lots of flights were made cruising around at 50% power. Scale takeoffs actually require much less than full power.

It has a little more vertical with the lighter 4000mah battery, but both were enough to make it small climbing in the vertical really quick. I often was pulling the throttle back to half in a near vertical climb before split S’ing back down to keep it in sight with better than 20/20 vision. The colors Motion and Freewing went with make it more visible than many grey jets, and that helps greatly with flying it.

The short wing showed in turbulent air without the gyro on, but the low center of gravity in the battery bay, and the twin tails still kept it tracking great. Did I mention it can fit a 6000mah 6S with ease and stay in the CG range, STOCK!? With the A3L gyro on low gains, the jet was even more locked in. You can get it on MotionRC.com

The jet also tracks and flys great when slow. Several times I got it slower than take off speed flying by in high alpha with it to see where the limit was. The shape of the body adds a lot of lift and it flys slow beautifully. As I approached the backside of the power curve with an aft CG, she crawled by at nearly full power without climbing or accelerating and did it without flaps. Careful use of the rudder to keep the nose from falling off the side and she stays right there. If you get a little too slow the nose starts waffling back and forth the way the F-22 does, and you’ve found the limit. In high alpha with a bump of nose down she immediately shrugs off the induced drag and quickly accelerated or can climb out at a steep angle. Slowest flight will be achieved with the lightest battery and wing loading and an aft CG. In this case, the Admiral 4000 really shined over my heavier RT 5500s.

The model does pitch turns really well with higher rates and an aft CG much like the real jet shows off during airshow demonstrations. Slow her down to about half speed, roll into a 45° bank, punch the throttle and pull back about 3/4 stick and she pushes the tail just like the real jet. Over the top pitches in a split S are a great place to find the limit. If you get a little too aggressive, neutralizing the sticks and letting the nose fall gets her flying again immediately. Roll to your down line and you’re back at it. So fun!

Roll rates are users choice on this bird. Set up on high rates she will roll like a drill bit, and very axial despite the twin tails. On low rates with a little expo she’s also a very gentle flyer. She will willfully go pretty much wherever you point her. One note of caution flying a heavy battery like my 5500 though is that you have to keep the speed up in a turn. Pulling to complete a tight turn without adding power and she, like most EDFs under high wing loading will drop a wing.

Flight time with lots of fast passes was around 3:30 on the 4000 and 4:15 on the 5500. We always tried to land at around 3.8V/cell to not risk the model and timed it based on how hard we were pushing it. I did one flight on the 5500 pack at just over 5 min. I took off at 3/4 throttle and cruised around at just over half power. One loop and lots of rolls and came in at 3.75/cell. The jet is a lot of fun to fly even at half power. Motion and Freewing selecting the 70mm inrunner was the exact right choice for the model.

It took off just as easy on the grass as it did on the felt runway at Nall and the take off distance wasn’t much different. Several landings were done intentionally and unintentionally on the grass and the suspension struts handled it well.

Anyone buying this model will enjoy it. It’s beautiful to look at and flys great too. I did around 12 flights on it at Nall and was hooked. Can’t wait for mine to show up so I can play with tailerons and flaps on it.

Comment

I really appreciate your very thorough and detailed review, JLamb! Only makes me more excited and impatient as I check this thread periodically for receipt of shipment notifications. lol

Comment

RC Geek centerburner arrived yesterday. It fits onto my XRP 13 blade and though the holes that attach it to the motor don't match up it's no big set back for me. Lighting should arrive soon. Also have a 70mm afterburner ring coming from RC Castle. Hoping I'm not forgetting anything.

Comment

Just got my shipping notification! Whooo! Can't wait!!! :)

Comment

Me too. F-35 inbound.

Comment

• Just got my shipped notification as well! :)

Comment

Working...
                                          X