Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the S3 Viking could have the potential to be a good seller if it were to have some tempting features not normally found on anything else.

1- No decals applied from the factory but includes 2 different decal sheets for easier customization.

2- Manual fold able wings. This feature alone would catch the attention of many that might not have even considered an S-3 before just because it could be transported easily. And if the rear tail could also fold down it would be ideal for larger scale models.
    The feature could be implemented with simple sliding CF rods with locking mechanizim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S-3 Viking 2.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	197942

Comment

I wonder how floppy the wings would be with a manual mech... either build the bird thin and light or build it big and robust. I've posted before that I like the Viking. I had the old, old foamy that was less than encouraging. But I do have a thing for twin nacelled jets... Arado 234? Whoops, separate thread. Or twin nacelled carrier birds... Hawkeye? Different thread.

The challenge we've hit with twin nacelled jets, especially high winged birds, has to do with the landing gear. F-16 style.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

If you're referring to the Wattage version, made with really soft and light EPS foam, I have that one, too. Guess I had luck with that one, because it flies great.

Last edited by fredmdbud; Jun 3, 2019, 12:41 PM. Reason: add video

Comment

I'd preorder an S-3 especially if it was a big twin. 70 at least, but would prefer a 80

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
            I wonder how floppy the wings would be with a manual mech... either build the bird thin and light or build it big and robust. I've posted before that I like the Viking. I had the old, old foamy that was less than encouraging. But I do have a thing for twin nacelled jets... Arado 234? Whoops, separate thread. Or twin nacelled carrier birds... Hawkeye? Different thread.

The challenge we've hit with twin nacelled jets, especially high winged birds, has to do with the landing gear. F-16 style.
            Good thing they have F-16's to use the gear off of

Comment

Originally posted by Desertlakeflying View Post
              I'd preorder an S-3 especially if it was a big twin. 70 at least, but would prefer a 80
              Count me in too!

Comment

The gear issue is solvable, but its not a cheap solution. Its a complex linkage.

Fortunately, modern CNC systems could make it easier and cheaper than it would have been in the past.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Omg yes I'd love to get my hands on an S-3 RC....I was in VS-38 in the Navy

Comment

Thanks for your service but, even though I was in S-3's too, I would never buy one.

Comment

I’d get one myself. I think Rich Uravitch made plans for a nice EDF model. Not sure if it’s still available but worth looking at. http://www.richuravitch.com

Comment

Had a 50mm foamy version, flew very nicely. Gave up trying to find info on any of Rich's plans/kits -- great designs but never seem to make it to market beyond the old Hobby Barn days. Sent him e-mails re the Viking but no responses.

Comment

It's good to know that there's a conversation going about the S-3 viking even if it never makes it to market. I have always wanted one so the plan is to scratch build one in the future or try to 3D print...next would be A-7 and E-2

Comment

I think we need to crowdfund the design and manufacturing for RC S-3 viking as a form of down payment or pre-order for those interested in getting one. The customers get what they want and mfr reduces risk. If funds are not enough for starting project, then we get our money back. It sounds simplistic but probably more complex.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFLIGHT75 View Post
                              I think we need to crowdfund the design and manufacturing for RC S-3 viking as a form of down payment or pre-order for those interested in getting one. The customers get what they want and mfr reduces risk. If funds are not enough for starting project, then we get our money back. It sounds simplistic but probably more complex.
                              The topic of crowdfunding occurred about 2 years ago if my memory on time serves me correctly, but the point is that it went over like a fart in an elevator.
                              The molds are the significant driving cost factor and it is not just one mold for a plane. Modelers are not investors per se where they are willing to front say a $1K with another 100 doing the same for the opportunity to have a Viking.
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I mean if you're thinking about an S-3 you might as well throw in an EA-6B while you're at it lol. I've been thinking of ways to kit bash the A-6 and turn it into a Prowler. 😁

Nothing like the sound of a Hoover on final to the deck though...woop woop woop.

Comment

"Throw in", makes it sound like FW could develop and take it to market over night. I think I'd rather see a EA6-B before a S-3 though...

Comment

An A-7 would make more sense to me....or a decent 90 sized F9F Panther and Cougar
                                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Lol

Comment

Agree... None of those are on my list. A-7 or F-8. I worked more on A-7's but the lifting wing on the F-8 would be so cool.

Had to have a A-6. Odd looking but functional.

Originally posted by Intruder0220 View Post
                                        Lol

Comment

I have my A-6...I need my S-3

Comment

Working...
                                          X