Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we put Inrunners in all 90mm jets?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
    Some other considerations:

Inrunners are heavier.

Inrunners motors are difficult, if not impossible, to balance. Outrunners can be balanced (counterweighted) since the rotor is on the outside. This is separate from balancing the fan blades.

The "afterburner" LED units that seem all the rage these days cannot be mounted on outrunners.
    Not on exposed outrunners... However the Freewing outrunner from 80mm-90mm work great for the design that I am using.
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

yes I stand corrected on the brushless thing. FMS seems to have good performance on the inrunners. I don't care what's turning the fan as long as I can fly 12 blades and get out of my grass field. I am NOT impressed by the sound of the 9 blade units these days.
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I don't buy a lot, so my remarks may be discounted, but I'll make a few comments anyway.
        First about pricing. I feel that holding prices while costs go up is a mistake. You hold and hold until you can't and then, BOOM several significant increases at once presented to customers who have gotten used to stable prices and then sometimes are unreasonably upset about it. Better IMHO to increase prices on a per case basis as costs increase to maintain profit margins. This is a business after all.
        Inrunner vs outrunner. By all means go to the more powerful and efficient systems across the board, except perhaps for some "bargain" jets.

Comment

After changing the fans in my L39 and Mig21 with fms inrunners(2000kv version) i am sold on them. Type of motor will greatly influence my next purchase. I was looking for a plane to accept my 4000 6s batts, the FW mirage or the FMS f 18. The FMS f18 is where my money is going.
          Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

I personally am not in this hobby to save a few bucks at the expense of performance. I vote 1000 times yes (grew up in Chicago where dead people vote and live in florida now where voting is something else so I get to vote more than once, 1000 sounds right).. I'll spend $150 bucks for a sound system that isn't necessary (but way cool), $120 for a pilot with a moving head (but way cool too), $25 for nicer Robart tires, $15-$25 for better Callie graphics (definitly cool) and money for an upgraded cockpit that no one but me ever really sees (but it's way cool) so what do you think I would pay for better performance and more flight time (way past cool and into awesome). I'll also throw in my first AND second born with the extra $40 (actually that would be a favor if you'd take them BTW they're way cool). Thinking my next purchase is the F16 ARF and getting the upgraded 4068-1835 KV inrunner, and I rarely fly balls to the wall, so the $156 for that power plant isn't even a question. With the $100 for the ESC, that will run $150 more than the PNP version, so would I pay $40-$50 more instead of $150 more? Let me think about it and get back to you.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Hugh, we are kindred spirits my friend.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I haven't read all the threads, but I assume everybody says they would want the inrunners and pay more. I have a little different take on it. Put more power on the ones that need it, such as the F-86. Or ones that desperately need more run time such as the F-4. Most of the jets sold are powered very well and there would not be a huge difference. The reason most guys have a problem getting off grass is CG too far forward (which happens on paved too), flaps set wrong (usually too much), cheap lipo's (below 45C) and or grass just too rough/high. Just my opinion.
                Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

Originally posted by ronwc View Post
                  I haven't read all the threads, but I assume everybody says they would want the inrunners and pay more. I have a little different take on it. Put more power on the ones that need it, such as the F-86. Or ones that desperately need more run time such as the F-4. Most of the jets sold are powered very well and there would not be a huge difference. The reason most guys have a problem getting off grass is CG too far forward (which happens on paved too), flaps set wrong (usually too much), cheap lipo's (below 45C) and or grass just too rough/high. Just my opinion.
                  Inrunners help in all ways... everything will be better with them!! I have a video to share with you though... tell me what you think and I will explain why I shared it after you watch....

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

im like the guy from page one. I wish they would design jets and prop planes at a higher altitude. us guys at 5000 feet and above don't get very good performance on the stock setups. I had to get the upgrade motors for my bearcat,tigercat just to get them to fly like the sea level guys. my spitfire flew like it was on a 4 cell. how about design at 3000 feet so everyone has a fast ship.

Comment

Love in-runners for EDF, jets eat batteries so anything that helps and also increases performance is a huge consideration for me. I'd like it to become the standard but you could always offer an upgrade fan. Thanks for reaching out
                      rc flyin addict

Comment

I think it's been made pretty obvious. The masses say YES to inrunners for jets!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          I think it's been made pretty obvious. The masses say YES to inrunners for jets!
                          for the unscientific poll that it is, it seems - the thread title is like honey for the inrunner bears

Comment

Two things that influenced my most recent jet purchase: Inrunner motor and bigger wheels with trailing link suspension. I was recently looking for a smaller jet (70mm) and my dollars went to FMS for their Yak 130... and it is awesome. It has an efficient and powerful in-runner that easily flys off of grass. It has bigger wheels and wonderful trailing link suspension and I get between 5 and 6 minute flights on a 6s 3300. It has a fairly fat fuselage and looks like it wouldn't be fast, but it hauls butt...

I'd love a Freewing 70mm FA18, but the wheels are too small and the suspension isn't very suitable for grass ops. If you really want to sell to the masses, you need grass ops capable jets with efficient power systems... There are a lot of people who fly off of grass that would love to get into jets, but stay away because they believe that jets can't handle grass. Your Avanti S is proving them wrong. You just need a few more like it in the lineup... with inrunners!

Inrunners are all I will buy going forward. The 3-1/2 minute flights of my Avanti S are getting old. I know someone will chime in and tell me how they are getting 6 to 8 minutes. Good for you. I want to fly fast! I'm looking at the FMS 80mm inrunner fan as an upgrade for my Avanti S. For me it isn't about better performance, it's about run time. That said, more power isn't a bad thing either.

FYI: I love the FreeWing 90mm F22 but when I look at the price of getting it without the power system and then adding in an in-runner power system, it's a bit too pricy. If I could buy it PNP with an in-runner for $40 to $50 more than the outrunner setup, that would help seal the deal...

Freewing makes better jets, but FMS has better power systems... Time to catch up on that front Freewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Sanford View Post
                              Two things that influenced my most recent jet purchase: Inrunner motor and bigger wheels with trailing link suspension. I was recently looking for a smaller jet (70mm) and my dollars went to FMS for their Yak 130... and it is awesome. It has an efficient and powerful in-runner that easily flys off of grass. It has bigger wheels and wonderful trailing link suspension and I get between 5 and 6 minute flights on a 6s 3300. It has a fairly fat fuselage and looks like it wouldn't be fast, but it hauls butt...

I'd love a Freewing 70mm FA18, but the wheels are too small and the suspension isn't very suitable for grass ops. If you really want to sell to the masses, you need grass ops capable jets with efficient power systems... There are a lot of people who fly off of grass that would love to get into jets, but stay away because they believe that jets can't handle grass. Your Avanti S is proving them wrong. You just need a few more like it in the lineup... with inrunners!

Inrunners are all I will buy going forward. The 3-1/2 minute flights of my Avanti S are getting old. I know someone will chime in and tell me how they are getting 6 to 8 minutes. Good for you. I want to fly fast! I'm looking at the FMS 80mm inrunner fan as an upgrade for my Avanti S. For me it isn't about better performance, it's about run time. That said, more power isn't a bad thing either.

FYI: I love the FreeWing 90mm F22 but when I look at the price of getting it without the power system and then adding in an in-runner power system, it's a bit too pricy. If I could buy it PNP with an in-runner for $40 to $50 more than the outrunner setup, that would help seal the deal...

Freewing makes better jets, but FMS has better power systems... Time to catch up on that front Freewing.
                              Are you referring to the FMS 70mm F18 or the 90mm Freewing F18?? FW doesn't make a 70mm F18.

As for 70mm jets, the new F35 comes with an inrunner and trailing link nose gear and does great off of grass and performs great in the air.

I also have the 8s F22 that comes with an inrunner and it performs terrific on grass as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Are you referring to the FMS 70mm F18 or the 90mm Freewing F18?? FW doesn't make a 70mm F18.

As for 70mm jets, the new F35 comes with an inrunner and trailing link nose gear and does great off of grass and performs great in the air.

I also have the 8s F22 that comes with an inrunner and it performs terrific on grass as well.
                                Oops, I meant Freewing 70mm F16, not FA18. The F35 does look like an interesting bird. I'll have to look for some videos of it flying off a grass field. I saw a 6s 90mm F22 fly off of grass at our field a few weeks back and it did great! That thing was fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Sanford View Post

Oops, I meant Freewing 70mm F16, not FA18. The F35 does look like an interesting bird. I'll have to look for some videos of it flying off a grass field. I saw a 6s 90mm F22 fly off of grass at our field a few weeks back and it did great! That thing was fast!
                                  In that case, MRC sells the 70mm F16 in a version with the upgraded inrunner and the upgraded suspension (front trailing link, main oleos) already in it. Very grass capable!

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

I would like to go to Inrunners on my Su 35....has anyone did this yet and what size did you use? Thanx Rick

Comment

Motion RC,

Any updates on your decision regarding inrunner motors on PNP EDF jets?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

We've done some initial testing in our environment with the same batteries. We're thinking we can get about 10-15% more thrust and 20% to 40% more flight time depending on the exact configuration we use. That is mixed throttle flying. If you fly 100% throttle all the time, you'll still see the extra thrust but you will only see about 5% more flight time. Like gooniac said, the configuration we're looking at shines in a mixed throttle environment. Would you rather stick with the current configuration and keep the price the same or should we put in a new inrunner setup which will cost us about $20-$30 more?
                                        Yes please! Definitely on the 90mm, I also say definitely on the 80mm, as far as the 70mm,... I'd say it'd be worth it on twin 70mm jets especially on battery life.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                          Motion RC, Any updates on your decision regarding inrunner motors on PNP EDF jets?
                                          Check out our New Airplanes section between both US and EU sites...I have been loading several "High Performance" versions of previously released jets. These all come with inrunners. I think it's a very good indication of where we are headed on this topic.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X