X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing canards

I have recently completed my second scratch built Eurofighter. The last one was destroyed in a house fire. Due to a weight issue and experience I only used one servo for the canards, and it was out on switch F activated with elevator only. I'm using a Dx6 and don't recall how I set it up, anyone help? Thanks

As the elevator comes up. the leading edge of the canard goes up. thus the elevator pushes the tail down and the canard pushes the nose up.

The Canard should have a slight + incidence in relation to the main wing forcing the canard surface to stall before the main wing. the smaller surface tends to stall first, but this guarantees it. (if you are not inverted....)

That gets it flying.
    Trim and adjust to your desire from there.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Your description of how you used to have it set up is your road map for how to set it up again:

1) Create a Mix between Elevator and whatever slot your canard servo is plugged into.

2) Designate switch F to enable/disable the mix

3) When enabled, adjust the mix percentage such that your canard behaves like Fhuber described. Just experiment with positive or negative percentage values to get the canard moving in the correct direction in relation to the elevator. Pulling back on the elevator stick will cause the elevator's trailing edge to rise upwards and the canard's trailing edge to sink downwards. Conversely, pushing the elevator stick forward will cause the elevator's trailing edge to sink downwards and the canard's trailing edge to rise upwards.

4) When disabled, the canards should return to their neutral position, with slight positive incidence as Fhuber stated.

5) Extra tip: Before flying, be sure to verify on the ground that your trim switches trim the surface you intend, with and without the mix enabled.

Good luck!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hey, is it possible to have a 6ch receiver using dual ail and dual ele, with rudder ch open and put one thrust vectoring servo in the rudder port? I want to use only the elevator part of the exhaust nozzle

Comment

If so, how do I miss this?
          Mick

Comment

Sounds like its time to move up to more channels on your radio no matter what

Comment

Am I correct to say that you built a Eurofighter from scratch and you put thrust vectoring in it? On the TV, do they work on both the rudder axis and the up/down axis (ie, you have one servo for the rudder that connects both nozzles to move them side to side and 2 servos for the nozzles to move them up/down)? If so, then there is no need to mix anything. You choose "elevon" for your wing type, then you triple "Y" the canard, elevon and VT nozzle on one side. Same for the other side. You might need some servo reversers so they all work in the proper direction. The rudder servo on the nozzles can by "Y'd" to the real nozzle. That's used up 3 channels, leaving you with the one for the throttle and one for the retract (if you have those). So, on a DX6, you've only used 5 channels. Of course, this means that everything works all the time and you can't turn off the canards or the VT nozzles. That said, I've had 2 Freewing Eurofighters and one of them was wired up in the way I just said. It flew fine and having everything "mixed" on an 8-ch TX/RX didn't really prove to have any of an advantage. Being able to turn off the canards and nozzles didn't really make the plane fly that much different, except that when everything was working, the plane could do much more exciting aerobatics. If you don't want the "touchy" response that is desired for aerobatics, just make sure you have one very low rate/higher expo setting on your "D/R and expo" menu.

Comment

Working...
              X