Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come on guys!! Group hug???

Comment

• No hugging here.... just heading home to work on my plane!!! I am bummed that I couldnt get it going this weekend... on a mission now!!!
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Got to maiden mine yesterday, the Mig is such a great flier!
        I had to put about 40 clicks of right aileron trim (so is my buddy who maiden his as well). Also, no elevator to flap compensation needed...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Well, my MIG is supposed to be out for delivery today. Via Fed Ex. So, the big Fed Ex truck pulls all the way up in the driveway... He sits there for about 6 minutes, never gets out of the vehicle, goes back to the driver's seat and backs out and leaves!!! No MIG, no box, no note, nada!!! I hope he comes back today!!! Go figure.....
          I've seen these guys (YouTube) throw big screen TV's over a tall fence. At least he didn't do that ............................................ YET! BTW, mine is supposed to be here on Thursday - no discount but free shipping from Oregon. The discount would have been nice to offset the big FedEx bill yet to come. I've got a new FedEx guy. He's quite conscientious with his deliveries to me. I've got cameras all around the front door and I see him reading my notes on where to hide parcels. He's pretty good at it. Unlike some of the other couriers, who just throws it on the ground in plain view of thieves passing by and then rings my doorbell when he doesn't need my signature - makes my dog go nuts.

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Come on guys!! Group hug???
          I'll group hug with you any day, BUT ordinarily, I avoid such things. What, with measles, rabies, STDs, hepatitis A B C D E F ......... and summer flu going around.

Comment

• Originally posted by RanGee View Post

If you purchased your afterburner form the Gooniac before Jan this year, take a look at the postage; yeah it came from me....
            I don't buy these things from anyone. I've never had the inclination to put stuff like this on my planes. But when I do, I make them myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Mines out for delivery too. Hope it get delivered. It rained this morning so I probably can't paint but I can at least check it to make sure everything works and prep it to paint.

Are you going to paint it sliver and red?

I have a EDF unit out of the 90mm F-18 (went down on maiden). Thinking about putting this in the Mig. Wish I knew the data (trust) of the mig unit compare to the F-18. So Evan if you were me would you get the PNP or the ARF+ Mig?
              Planes
              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                I don't buy these things from anyone. I've never had the inclination to put stuff like this on my planes. But when I do, I make them myself.
                Yeah you are a lot like me. I did this back in 2011 when nothing out there was how I wanted it... these were the older 50mm jets.... I still own this plane too!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Got to maiden mine yesterday, the Mig is such a great flier!
                  I had to put about 40 clicks of right aileron trim (so is my buddy who maiden his as well). Also, no elevator to flap compensation needed...
                  What a beauty the afterburner looks bad ass.
                  Please bring out your mig next weekend i will have mine maiden as well, just deactivated the elevator to flap compensation on my tx

looks like power is not an issue at all. still want to put mine on a watt meter and see what kind of power shes putting up

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                    Come on guys!! Group hug???
                    Bromance

But yeah like to see some footage when you get your rig up in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

What a beauty the afterburner looks bad ass.
                      Please bring out your mig next weekend i will have mine maiden as well, just deactivated the elevator to flap compensation on my tx

looks like power is not an issue at all. still want to put mine on a watt meter and see what kind of power shes putting up
                      Yeah, she's got plenty of power, this power system is a keeper

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                        I have a EDF unit out of the 90mm F-18 (went down on maiden). Thinking about putting this in the Mig. Wish I knew the data (trust) of the mig unit compare to the F-18.
                        Do your own comparison of the 2 units. I have a feeling you won't see much difference in performance. The Mig and F-18 both run 1550kv motors with a 12-bl fan. The Mig uses a 100A ESC, the F-18 uses a 130A ESC, meaning it can draw more amps. The actual sizes of the 2 motors are slightly different, but we need to know what's in the motors to be able to tell which one is stronger. Since both can spin up to the same rpm, the difference is likely that one can do it more efficiently, more torque or both. You know how the F-18 flies, so if you put the drivetrain into the Mig and knowing that the Mig is about 1/2 a battery's weight heavier, you can guess how it will perform. You can also find a motor/ESC/Fan that is similar on RC Castle and see the thrust numbers there.
                        I felt that my old F-18's and my present one was a bit "sluggish", I elected to throw in an inrunner.

Comment

Do your own comparison of the 2 units. I have a feeling you won't see much difference in performance. The Mig and F-18 both run 1550kv motors with a 12-bl fan. The Mig uses a 100A ESC, the F-18 uses a 130A ESC, meaning it can draw more amps. The actual sizes of the 2 motors are slightly different, but we need to know what's in the motors to be able to tell which one is stronger. Since both can spin up to the same rpm, the difference is likely that one can do it more efficiently, more torque or both. You know how the F-18 flies, so if you put the drivetrain into the Mig and knowing that the Mig is about 1/2 a battery's weight heavier, you can guess how it will perform. You can also find a motor/ESC/Fan that is similar on RC Castle and see the thrust numbers there.
                          I felt that my old F-18's and my present one was a bit "sluggish", I elected to throw in an inrunner.
                          Mig is also has a higher drag coefficient than the hornet keep that in mind

motor KV and motor size will equate to variation in performance only clear when the impeller pitch and diameter is equal.

Comment

Yeah, she's got plenty of power, this power system is a keeper
                            10-4 on the powersetup

powered cycled my servos (except for retract door servos for 48 hours continuous) except for a few buzzing sounds which is normal i was able to deplete my 2s 2200mah (3.62V per cell) pack via BEC on the servo tester.

Although there was no reason to remove the "Grey box" i did it anyway.
                            Not saying there is anything wrong with it but a personal choice of direction to take.

wonder how well this thing will knife edge...

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

Mig is also has a higher drag coefficient than the hornet keep that in mind

motor KV and motor size will equate to variation in performance only clear when the impeller pitch and diameter is equal.
                              I kinda doubt that HobbyKing is going to make a "special" impeller. Rather, I'll bet they just took what's common out there and hence, most likely not that different than what comes on the F-18. Besides, even a slight difference in pitch and diameter (after all, it's still gotta fit inside a 90mm fan shroud), we're not going to see a significant difference in the way the thrust is going to move this thing. Unless we start changing KV, outrunner to inrunner, the differences would only be of interest to the armchair aeronautical engineer. Standing on the ground with a couple of joysticks in our hands, watching a little foamie go whizzing by, not many of us are going to be surprised or tremendously amazed.

Comment

• 1st power check today. Drawing a bit over 96A. Pilot installed from a crashed Mig 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Mines out for delivery too. Hope it get delivered. It rained this morning so I probably can't paint but I can at least check it to make sure everything works and prep it to paint.

I got my shipping notice for the Mig today, so I log in to check the status and sign up for updates,... it's still waiting for USPS to pick it up. I hate that I get shipping notices because they printed a label! Irritates me, a printed label does not warrant a shipping notice in my book, oh well...

Comment

• I am, I got mine today and everything works. There is some foam damage because of the person who packed it, left rudder and elevator connectors hanging outside the fuse and then they got pressed into the foam. broke out spackle. It's all masked off to be painted tomorrow after I glue in the wing fences and bits. I decided to leave the canopy black as I've seen them in both bare metal and red in the scheme I'm doing, just makes it a lot easier.

I did a power test and am impressed so I'm no swapping in the inrunner and 120A ESC as I had planned. I can always swap it later. I did remove the white box and ran all the wires under the floor board to the receiver in the very back. I also have a Der Mittens ready to pilot it (call him either Der Mittens or Das Mittens depending on the plane)…

So tomorrow is gluing on the bits and at least a primer coat. Then hopefully the color coats on Wednesday and the decals that my friend Vic is doing on vinyl. Then a clear on Friday and maiden on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Oh and while my flaps look warped it's actually the wings.
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	943843E5-50F2-4F45-8043-1B8475C88A76.jpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	209170Click image for larger version  Name:	35DE1E0F-01AE-4A78-A415-83B13EFD12DC.jpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.9 KB ID:	209171
                                    Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Are you going to paint it sliver and red?

I have a EDF unit out of the 90mm F-18 (went down on maiden). Thinking about putting this in the Mig. Wish I knew the data (trust) of the mig unit compare to the F-18. So Evan if you were me would you get the PNP or the ARF+ Mig?

Comment

I kinda doubt that HobbyKing is going to make a "special" impeller. Rather, I'll bet they just took what's common out there and hence, most likely not that different than what comes on the F-18. Besides, even a slight difference in pitch and diameter (after all, it's still gotta fit inside a 90mm fan shroud), we're not going to see a significant difference in the way the thrust is going to move this thing. Unless we start changing KV, outrunner to inrunner, the differences would only be of interest to the armchair aeronautical engineer. Standing on the ground with a couple of joysticks in our hands, watching a little foamie go whizzing by, not many of us are going to be surprised or tremendously amazed.
                                      the stock fan and motor hobbyking went with is the HSD 90mm viper setup. same motor fan combo.

Comment

• Here's my maiden flight from a better angle

Comment

• Well, the Fed Ex truck just pulled up into the driveway again today!!! This time he actually unloaded a box and brought it to the door... I looked like it had Hobby King tape on it. So this is my real-time update!!! Going to the door now, and hoping for a MIG-17...

Comment

Working...
                                          X