Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree with Gooniac33. This Mig17 is a terrific flier. Maybe I have just been lucky, my Mig is pretty much bone stock. The only changes I have made are a paint job(bare aluminium) and putting a wire mesh over the cheater hole since the vanes broke off. I really like the sound it makes since putting on the wire mesh. As for bouncing on landings, only had a few during the first flights. Once I learned this jet, I rarely have a bounce and if I do it's a minor bounce.

Comment

• Almost ready for the maiden. Gusty cross winds came up, so tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by MOFO1 View Post
        Agree with Gooniac33. This Mig17 is a terrific flier. Maybe I have just been lucky, my Mig is pretty much bone stock. The only changes I have made are a paint job(bare aluminium) and putting a wire mesh over the cheater hole since the vanes broke off. I really like the sound it makes since putting on the wire mesh. As for bouncing on landings, only had a few during the first flights. Once I learned this jet, I rarely have a bounce and if I do it's a minor bounce.
        landing this plane takes patience! Get that in check and they will all be buttery!
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Saw my first stock Mig 17 fly this past weekend at our clubs EDF event. Impressive airplane right out of the box, with a good flight envelop. Got me motivated to get mine assembled!

Comment

• my flights from sunday... I went nutso with it and it was so much fun!!

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Balanced and ready to go. I’ll see how it flies tomorrow.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                my flights from sunday... I went nutso with it and it was so much fun!!

Entertaining videos! You have a great flying site as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

Entertaining videos! You have a great flying site as well.
                  Thanks!! I got 4 more crazy man flights this weekend with my new HRB batteries!! Such a blast to fly!!

Comment

• videos from this past weekend... HRB 6s 50c 6000 batteries used in all videos. I broke them in with 8 cycles each on my charger at home first... then went crazy!! They were barely warm and 3.8v per cell after each of these flights!

Comment

• Yep, you got that right, cycling the batteries is a must.

A friend has this jet at the field, this thing is huge and flies fast w good envelope. But, I personally dont dig the color scheme and jet wing design, just imo.

That flying field never sees a drop of cloud, has to be difficult to fly sometimes. I hate flying in skies w no clouds, got no reference points at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                        Yep, you got that right, cycling the batteries is a must.

A friend has this jet at the field, this thing is huge and flies fast w good envelope. But, I personally dont dig the color scheme and jet wing design, just imo.

That flying field never sees a drop of cloud, has to be difficult to fly sometimes. I hate flying in skies w no clouds, got no reference points at all.
                        It is a really important step that most people miss. I would prefer to get at least 15 cycles to be really happy but considering the load being put on them in this plane I think that is enough. I have a Turnigy Reaktor Charge that can do Regen Discharge. So I hook it up to an external battery and then set it up on their cycle set up. It will discharge that pack at about 12-15amps which is good enough to get it done reasonably quickly without over amping the pack.

Comment

• I bought my MiG 17 as soon as they were released and have been absolutely loving it. Admittedly I have changed all the servos for Savox, metal geared ones and by-passed the landing gear control box.
                          Its been flying great and I really like its overall flight characteristics.
                          Unfortunately the quality of components leaves much to be desired, first the servos and last weekend the ESC failed :( after a couple of miss fires, which i heard so I was setting up to land, down wind gear down alls fine, base leg, no control at all.... so lucky it was level and slow plus I fly from an airbase with very few obstacles. It did however find one of the only trees to land in!!! its a tough ol'bird, i'll get it fixed but lets say hobby king has been their usual non helpful selves

Comment

• Sorry to hear this. The ESC is a good one but rated at 100A with a 5A BEC. My Mig pulls more than 100A at full throttle and the low grade servos don't tax the BEC. I wonder if your changing the servos might have been too much for the internal BEC?

Comment

• I had occasion to watch a MiG-17 during Oshkosh 2016`s night show, I believe it was NX620F but can't recall exactly. Either way, it was one of the most memorable flight demos I've seen in recent years. The pilot had a plume of flame that must have measured almost half the length of his fuselage blazing out the back during a low pass. It's amazing how confining the cockpit is, and how limited the forward visibility is, similar to something like an A-4, yet they were such an effective fighting force despite the simplicity of such a classic design. Quite literally a point and shoot aerial weapon. I've always had a soft spot for MiGs, and the MiG-17 high among them, The models always seem to fly well, from the Freewing to the FlyFly to the BVM.

Porkster Are you saying that your Savox servo failed, or the stock one? Savox has always been reliable for me; they're my Go To servo for larger helicopters in unenviable flight environments.
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I just wish it was some other finish besides camo, seems the cheap way out, cutting corners on the design. Would have liked a finish closer to the Thunderchief, w the metal tones, shades, and no, am not goin through the hassle of painting it at that price.

Comment

• I repainted mine and the original paint is too delicate. A slight bump and it flakes off.

Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                                  I just wish it was some other finish besides camo, seems the cheap way out, cutting corners on the design. Would have liked a finish closer to the Thunderchief, w the metal tones, shades, and no, am not goin through the hassle of painting it at that price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    I had occasion to watch a MiG-17 during Oshkosh 2016`s night show, I believe it was NX620F but can't recall exactly. Either way, it was one of the most memorable flight demos I've seen in recent years. The pilot had a plume of flame that must have measured almost half the length of his fuselage blazing out the back during a low pass. It's amazing how confining the cockpit is, and how limited the forward visibility is, similar to something like an A-4, yet they were such an effective fighting force despite the simplicity of such a classic design. Quite literally a point and shoot aerial weapon. I've always had a soft spot for MiGs, and the MiG-17 high among them, The models always seem to fly well, from the Freewing to the FlyFly to the BVM.

Porkster Are you saying that your Savox servo failed, or the stock one? Savox has always been reliable for me; they're my Go To servo for larger helicopters in unenviable flight environments.
                                    Hi Alpha,
                                    sorry, that was poorly written, I had three of the original servos fail so I decided to replace all the servos with savox. I’ve always liked the Savox brand.

Comment

• Wow..i have about 50 some flights on mine with original servos but I did take lots of time to set up the gear, flaps and airbrake servos. May I ask which ones failed on you?

Comment

• I stopped counting but I'm probably around 100 and while a couple have always mad some noise none have failed. I also took my time in set up and moved linkages in on servo horns where I could to get better leverage. I also resized all the ball links as they were very tight. And I also removed the white box and ran extensions and Y's.

I am still using all the original servos, retract module and sequencer.

I had a friend just last night saying that I am super lucky and never have servos fail (talking specifically about FW EDFs). I personally think we make our own luck some of the time.

Comment

• I had an aileron, flap and gear door. Gear door is understandable as they do make some noise. The flap servo just stopped working and the aileron servo melted the case and has actually damaged the foam on the wing. HK did send replacement servos but after the Aileron failure I thought I’d rather change to servos I trust.
                                          I was very careful on set up and moved linkages and used mechanical throw rather than through the radio.
                                          I'm going to keep going with this plane as it is very pretty in the sky and will achieve decent flight times. Just a shame about the junk fitted to mine. As another note mine did turn up without any marks and was well packed, so guess some QC is present.

Comment

Working...
                                          X