Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Comment

Merry Christmas all!

Finally got around to another round of tests with 100% FSA exhaust and enlarged intake cheater. Overall, improvements were relatively minor, with 600g of thrust at 618W compared to 590g at 596W. 10 grams of increased thrust with the changes.

Earlier this week I quickly went out to confirm ease to hand-toss. below is a short video from the first of the 2 flights. I forgot to write down notes from the maiden, so I was re-learning a bit with what rates I had set for ailerons, rudder, and elevator. The plane felt a bit snappier than before when banking using ailerons with a bit of rudder, so I brought it down pretty quickly in the video. Besides, this, the plane takes off from an underhand toss pretty easily.

I have graphics coming in from Callie in the next week or 2, so I will have some photos to share of a completed U-2R and ER-2. I'm also going to try and vacuum from canopies for both airframes. Ordering some 1300mAH 4S packs as well.

Comment

Merry Christmas to you as well! Looks great

Comment

Callie graphics came in

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris, WooHoo! Lookin' good, Sir. What painting techniques are you going to use? Steve

Hey Steve,

I will be just doing a sanding of the printed parts with no additional paint. I have one in black and one in white. Just basic gap filling with ABS slurry where its needed, and then matte or satin clear coats to seal in the vinyl and make it easier to wipe down from grass or dirt stains.

Comment

Trying out airfoil analysis using XFLR5. Still a ways to go to understand what I am looking at, but hoping to be able to use this to optimize my scratchbuild and 3d print designs. After I figure it out and learn on the U-2R, I'm going to revisit my A333 and see how well or inefficient I designed that wing.

Comment

3D printed lading gear set added, included printed rubber tires. Can be installed/removed with a set of screws for the mains and tail

Comment

WOW !

Mike
                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Beautiful work! That looks awesome! You never cease to amaze me at what you’ve been able to do with 3D printing!

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                      3D printed lading gear set added, included printed rubber tires. Can be installed/removed with a set of screws for the mains and tail
                      DD, Outstanding work. Just amazing. Love the 'front-on' picture. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

A fresh fuselage for the original prototype's electronics. Graphics by Callie.

Comment

Nice.

Mike
                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I grew up close to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon, these black ships were a constant sight in the skies above me. Very impressive in the air with a distinctive whistle

Comment

I still see them about once a week flying out of Osan, almost got ran over by one twice back in 2013. I was flying a Cessna 172 with the flying club, and apparently competing for traffic pattern time with a U-2. After almost being ran over the second time I realized that the tower controller that day was an idiot, and so I called it, and came in too land.

Comment

Duuuude, how cool is this?!?

Comment

Join us for our next conference: https://goo.gl/B2bqQ6Long before Agile and Lean became buzzwords, a scrappy group of aerospace engineers at Lockheed's Skunk...

Hey Y'all, This is a great video on the history of the "Black Planes" and the Lockheed Skunk Works. Well worth the watch. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks for sharing the vid. For those who enjoy reading, here was a book I read and can recommend:

"Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed" by Ben R. Rich and Leo Janos

I also thought I can show a little teaser of another project. Black planes have their own challenges with both EPO and PLA, and ABS has manufacturing challenges as well with 3D printing in hobbyist levels with sections over 100mm. We'll see after I finish my buckeye if I can get another iconic plane to work out.

Comment

You're doing a T-2 Buckeye? SWEET! I loved flying that plane.

Comment

Sized for a 90-100mm, Getting to printing it shortly after I make some final scale tweaks to the model that I overlooked originally.

Comment

Working...
                                        X