X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF jets on dirt runway???

Hello fellow fliers, I have a quick question for you all. I have many edf jets and have always flown off asphalt or grass. Recently a friend built a fabulous dirt runway. Just curious if it will be ok or will I run into problems down the road ingesting dust,fod ,ect. Any input and knowledge from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Your duct will probably start collecting debris, particularly at the inlet.

Comment

I have 10 flights now on my Stinger 64, off a dirt runway. Based on a comment in another topic, I dropped the wing this week to check the EDF fan, and I can feel some tiny dings on the fan blades. I have two replacement blades on order, and I think my practice from now on will be to not taxi the plane on the runway, but rather to walk it to the take-off start point, and walk it back after landing. While this will not prevent all potential debris from entering the EDF, it will reduce the amount of time the motor is running at ground level, and should help the fan blades last longer. Once I start flying my 64mm A-10, I expect it should have less problem, since the EDFs sit higher above the ground, with the main wing to help protect the intake from ground debris. Even then, I think I'll minimize taxiing time.

Fortunately, the 64 mm 5 blade fans are cheap (under $3 each), so it's not like it's an expensive bit of maintenance.

I've recorded video on the Stinger with a keychain camera underneath, and it shows the kind of runway we have at our field. The pebbles look a lot larger than they are, which is both good and bad. Being smaller, they pose less damage risk to the fan, but that also means they're more easily sucked up by the intake.

Comment

It will eventually take a toll on your fan unit. but yes it can be done. We did this for a long time with out 80mm F-5s from a dirt path...
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Well you can spray it lightly with water or pee on it.

Comment

My new fan blades arrived, so I went ahead and replaced the blades in my Stinger. Here are three photos of the damage on the old blades, from ten flights. Some of the damage can be felt easier than seen with the naked eye, though a couple of the dings are large enough to be obvious. Running my fingers along the new fan, the edges are smooth, and no discernible nicks can be felt.

Comment

Working...
            X