Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wondered why no manufacturers took an interest in producing any of the training jets like the T-37 , T-38 or TA4-J. The T-45 is the only one that has broke the barrier.
    My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Jets View Post
      I always wondered why no manufacturers took an interest in producing any of the training jets like the T-37 , T-38 or TA4-J. The T-45 is the only one that has broke the barrier.
      Well, the T-38 is derived from the F-5, and the TA4-J is from the A-4. And the reason the T-45 got picked up is because it's an alternate color scheme for the BAE Hawk, used by the RAF Red Arrows demonstration team.

Comment

Accurate T-45's are not just repaints of the BAe Hawk - McDonnell Douglas and BAe made quite a few changes to meet Navy requirements, using the Hawk 60 as the starting point, not the T1A, which is the variant used by the Red Arrows:
        • Squared-off wingtips
        • Vortex generators in place of wing fences
        • Beefed-up main gear and twin nose wheels
        • Single ventral fin and arrest hook
        • Replaced single ventral airbrake with dual side brakes
        • Addition of Side-Mounted Under Root Fins (SMURFs) and leading-edge slats
        • Extended vertical tail and increased stabilator span (also squared-off)
        The Freewing and FMS "Goshawks" feature most of these alterations, and differ from their respective Red Arrow "Hawk" counterparts (which also have different EDF diameters, so they are not just repaints).

Comment

But the significance of those jets are mind boggling, they have trained every jet fighter pilot since 1959. The F-5 was derived from the T-38. The TA4J from the A4 and then you have the T-2 Buckeye, T-37 these jets set the bench mark for ALL fighter pilots. The T-38 airframe is 60 years old, its the B-52 of the trainer jets. Fighter jocks are training in jets their great grandfathers trained in.
          My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Comment

My father in-law was on the Mod squad for the T-45 at Chase field NAS in Beeville Texas and they made significant changes when it transitioned into the system. It was sad to see the T-2 go and then the TA4s.

Comment

It still all boils down to people wanting to be "Mavrick". Yes, trainers are part of the trail, but most people want to go directly to fighters, whether they be WWII warbirds or jets. That's why you see few bombers, cargo, and other planes, like ASW, AWCS, and tankers.

Comment

Yup, You have a really good point there.

Comment

80mm minimum, 90 mm would have more presence in the air.

Comment

Working...
                  X