X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 90mm F-16 - Thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking very seriously about the Freewing 90mm Super Scale F-16, but a couple of guys at my field who've had it don't speak well of it. They say it was too slow and didn't have good handling.

Anyone have any experience to share to help me with the decision? Thanks!

Is your field grass or do you have a smooth runway? If it's grass, then the stock F-16 PNP will be difficult to get off the ground. It just doesn't have enough punch to get going fast enough. I have the so called "high speed" version, which has the bigger, higher kv inrunner. With a mix for flaperons, it will get of grass, but even with that one, the plane can feel really heavy in the air and sometimes seems to wallow like a hippo in mud. As some guys say for a plane that is underpowered, it's OK if you fly it "scale". My high speed version does fly well but it's still heavy and sluggish. You MUST have very good, high "C" rated batteries. I'm in need of getting some or I may sell it. Turning it into 8s power would cure all of its weaknesses but that adds another several hundred bucks to the already very expensive airplane.
    Using flaperons on full deployment can result in some instability but you can avoid this by using only the elevators as "tailerons" and deactivating the ailerons when on full flaps. It's a beautiful plane with the most gorgeous and intricate retracts you will ever find on a foamie RC plane.
    Having said all the above, if I didn't have this plane, I'd get the new Freewing 70mm F-16 V2 in the 6s version (get the "Pro" (or high speed) version and not the standard 6s that some shops out of China sell). I may still get it. It'll be fast and fly extremely well even though some say they don't like the non-scale elevator on it. Personally, I don't care what it looks like as long as it flies well. In the air at nearly 100mph, you won't be able to tell that it doesn't have a flying horizontal stab anyway.
    I'd love to keep the big one but it's way too much money tied up just for a static model to look at.

Oh, I see from your avatar that you have the Stinger 90. I have one, too. Compared to the S90, the big F-16 will feel like it has an anchor tied to it.

Comment

I have this one and put an 8s JF set up. Made a huge difference. Yes, the plane is a bit heavy, but I don't mind a slightly heavy plane as it is a bit more stable. You just need the power to push it around. I will admit I just don't fly it much anymore. Bottom line, get the in runner set up if you do get it. There are lots of videos out there of this jet flying with various power systems. The Freewing 8s power system is a great alternative as well.

Comment

I had the Freewing 8S set up in mine, and like everyone else has said, the plane flew heavy. It had plenty of power to overcome it on the 8S, and was very maneuverable, but landing, especially on grass is very tricky, and you have to really grease it or you will be replacing landing gear. The plane is beautiful, and is very awesome on an "In the Dirt" flyby. With the armament package on it, it looks every bit as mean as its full scale counterpart. I had a lot of fun with mine, and I do recommend the plane, but only if you plan on doing the upgrades. My buddy did the maiden on his 6S Pro 70mm F-16 last weekend, and I am hooked on that one. Great power, floaty and maneuverable. Looks like a winner to me!!

Comment

I have this jet as well and I use to fly off grass that is a well groomed private full scale runway. I have it stock and was able to come off with a 50006 cell lipo fine. What I do recommend is to use flaperons for take off and landings helps this plane allot. I have put in the heat inrunner motor in it it is a little better . The only thing I never have done is to use all the armaments only the wing missiles on. Getting off grass with full armament might be a bit to much for it to do if the grass is not well groomed. Over all I like the looks and the flight on this plane myself.

Comment

Thanks everyone. What you're saying is in line with what I've heard....plane looks great but lacks power in stock version. I'm flying off pavement, so not really worried about getting off the ground. Just want enough power to fly like an F-16 should...go vertical, loop, roll and turn super-tight. I don't want the thing wallowing like a bomber in slow flight.

A guy at my field had the 70mm F-16 last weekend, so I got to see it fly and up close. The plane looks good, but not nearly as scale as the 90mm F-16. My main problem with it is it sounds like a 70mm. It doesn't sound near as good as my 80 or 90 EDFs. But, if you're looking for a nifty little F-16 with retracts, it looks like a good way to go.

How about the Hi Performance F-15? I'm stewing between these two, and it sounds like I'm leaning toward the F-15.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
              Thanks everyone. What you're saying is in line with what I've heard....plane looks great but lacks power in stock version. I'm flying off pavement, so not really worried about getting off the ground. Just want enough power to fly like an F-16 should...go vertical, loop, roll and turn super-tight. I don't want the thing wallowing like a bomber in slow flight.

A guy at my field had the 70mm F-16 last weekend, so I got to see it fly and up close. The plane looks good, but not nearly as scale as the 90mm F-16. My main problem with it is it sounds like a 70mm. It doesn't sound near as good as my 80 or 90 EDFs. But, if you're looking for a nifty little F-16 with retracts, it looks like a good way to go.

How about the Hi Performance F-15? I'm stewing between these two, and it sounds like I'm leaning toward the F-15.

Thanks guys
              Just from what I've read about the F-15, it's also a "porker". Those who have installed the "high speed" inrunner still say it didn't help much. You need to go 8S. Like the previous poster said, the Freewing 8s system would cure all the woes of these planes, but it will also lighten your bank account by several hundred dollars more.

Comment

I have both the F15 and F16 (both versions grey/Tbird) The F16 isnt as sluggish as the F15 is. to me the F16 landed easier too.. but my first takeoff attempts failed. The CG was hard to get right, and the second attempt I was on low rates..and it did not want to rotate at all..so...NO low rates! at least on TO anyway... oh, and I was flyin off pavement as well.
                www.TSHobbies.com
                Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

I have both, the Thunder B and the standard gray and have lots of flights on both. They fly great, I don't know what some of the others are saying about it being slow but its plenty fast, flies great slow or fast, I've had the F-15, F-14, F-5, T-45, F-86, F-104, Eurofighter, and my all around favorite is the F-16, it just does it all, once you get the landings down and the cg right. It loves to yank and bank or do really slow high alpha passes. I fly mine all stock as is out of the box. I use Pulse 5000 45c or Gens/Tattu 5000 60C. If you want to do some high speed steep scary turns, kick in some rudder along with the ailerons. I do fly the gray version with all the missles but not the drop tanks, faster without of course but looks great on those low flybys. I sold my F-15, it was slow to me and I didn't like the paint job, might get another one one day, but the F-16 will out fly it, my opinion of course.
                  Get the 90mm F-16, I will be more than glad to share my CG and all that to get you to try one, you just have to figure out the landing, but once you do, it will be your favorite.

Comment

Lots and lots of flights on these two..

Comment

That's awesome, DCORSAIR! Thanks so much for sharing. Yes, if I end up with it, I'll definitely want your CG and any advice.

These planes look great. Can't wait to step up.

Thanks!

Comment

They LOOK incredible, but are overweight and flying bricks even on 8s. To get it to fly decently I had 2 min flight time FLAT. Horrible.

The new V2 70mm is what this plane should've been. Light, nimble, quick, and simple.

Comment

I also have this jet and the F-16, F-15,F-14 euro-fighter ,stinger 90 ,mirage A-6 and the 70 mm F-16 and for take off and actual flight love it no issues. But on that air frame on the F-16 90 or 70 mm landings are a little tricky. I use flaperons and that helps me out but you really want to watch that sink rate keep power 1/4 throttle. On the stock 70 mm gear struts it likes to bounce so watch that I will get the shock struts.

Comment

This is a flight from a couple weeks ago. I am flying my Modified 90mm F-15 and my buddy is flying his modified 90mm F-16 and there are other freewing 80mm F-86s in there as well. My F-15 has a Leopard 4092 1730kv inrunner in a freewing fan running on a 6s 40c 5000mah pack. My buddy is running a Leopard 3674 1700kv motor in a freewing fan on a 6s 5000mah pack. A pretty significant boost over stock but still using the same 6s battery. I need to take a video of my friends stock Thunderbird F-16 as well because the plane flies wonderfully in stock form if you get the CG right! I also balanced his fan and it sounds amazing!! But here take a look at this video... 6s can be made to perform really well if you use a different set up.

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Here are a couple more of my 70mm F-16 flying with the 90mm F-16 with the setup I mentioned above.

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

The F-16 is great stock but you just have to set it up right. It is just better with the set up that we have used!

Comment

The Freewing 90mm F-16 was the first super scale jet we became directly involved in. At the time, almost four years ago now, Freewing's only previous super scale jet was the Yak-130 for $599. Which, frankly, was overdesigned and turned out to be really heavy and underperforming for many people's expectations at that price point.. Since then over the past 3 years, we've worked with them to tweak the performance/weight/scale/price factors of their aircraft, amounting to the MiG-21 and A-10. That all being said, the Freewing 90mm F-16 is on the heavier side in terms of wing loading. The outrunner PNP continues to be a huge seller, though. An inrunner improves the vertical, as well. The aircraft's beautifully scale looking but narrow landing gear isn't the best on grass, but for paved runways, the aircraft can land really slowly even without flaperons and rewards a pilot who finds the balance between throttle setting, AoA, and approach speed. I use my throttle to manage my rate of descent, keeping the nose up until the last second.

As Gooniac33 said above, make sure you nail the CG. Smooth takeoffs without a sudden leap, and slow landings with a steady rate of descent, are what you're looking for. Do yourself a favor and dial down your steering rate as well, and don't try to turn after landing until you've bled off lots of speed.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                    This is a flight from a couple weeks ago. I am flying my Modified 90mm F-15 and my buddy is flying his modified 90mm F-16 and there are other freewing 80mm F-86s in there as well. My F-15 has a Leopard 4092 1730kv inrunner in a freewing fan running on a 6s 40c 5000mah pack. My buddy is running a Leopard 3674 1700kv motor in a freewing fan on a 6s 5000mah pack. A pretty significant boost over stock but still using the same 6s battery. I need to take a video of my friends stock Thunderbird F-16 as well because the plane flies wonderfully in stock form if you get the CG right! I also balanced his fan and it sounds amazing!! But here take a look at this video... 6s can be made to perform really well if you use a different set up.

Right, but you're talking what... 2:20 min flight times for even mediocre performance? IDK... It just takes too much power to get going, just like the Yak 130.

It's a shame because they're both BEAUTIFUL jets. If only they were 500-900g lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

Right, but you're talking what... 2:20 min flight times for even mediocre performance? IDK... It just takes too much power to get going, just like the Yak 130.

It's a shame because they're both BEAUTIFUL jets. If only they were 500-900g lighter.
                                      NO WAY!!!! You can get 3-4 min flights My buddy flies his stock and gets over 3 mins of flying easy. I am gonna have to get a video of him flying. Not to mention all of the flying URRL has done as well. You need to adapt to every plane that you get. With a heavier plane you use momentum to keep the speeds up so that you can make the most of it. The F-104 is kind of the same. You need to fly it a certain way to get it to perform. here take a look at these stock F-16s

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                        NO WAY!!!! You can get 3-4 min flights My buddy flies his stock and gets over 3 mins of flying easy. I am gonna have to get a video of him flying. Not to mention all of the flying URRL has done as well. You need to adapt to every plane that you get. With a heavier plane you use momentum to keep the speeds up so that you can make the most of it. The F-104 is kind of the same. You need to fly it a certain way to get it to perform. here take a look at these stock F-16s

I was talking about when you go to a 1700kv+ 12 blade setup... It's impossible to get any more than super short or anemic and boring flights when upgrading to even a decent power system.

This plane just isn't a performer, plain and simple. It's a flying brick just like the big Yak.

Believe me, I've owned at least one of every FW EDF they've made and I wish it weren't the case, but it is.

Comment

Working...
                                        X