Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick test of the view from the camera mount.

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
      Mine is officially ready for it's maiden on next Sunday ! Our club runway is grass, so wish me luck. I have a 3700 Roaring top 4s 45c and it balances with the battery all the way fwd. Just have to install the battery strap, and she's ready to go.
      Did you find the stock battery strap a bit on the short side as well? With the smallest rated battery in the specified range for this bird (4S 3000), the stock Freewing strap would barely reach around it enough to fasten, and I haven't yet put some Velcro on the battery tray to keep the battery from potentially sliding forward or back. I've already replaced the stock strap with one that's a bit longer.

I plan to maiden with the 3000 mAh battery, though I know I'll need to keep the flight fairly short. Maybe with some of this overtime I've been working the last few weeks, I'll go ahead and order a higher rated battery.

Comment

• It's a great flier... Very forgiving. I love it. I did put a bigger strap on the battery. Using a roaring top 3700 45c and I get 3.5 minutes with 49% left after scale flying. Low scale passes is where this thing looks and sounds killer.

Comment

• Also, I'm flying from rough grass, and the rollout is quite long. Landings are a thing of beauty with full flaps. The landing gear seems to be holding up to the punishment. I think most of the damage will come from the long rollout on takeoff, not the slow, uneventful landings.

Comment

• I am considering buying a Freewing 64mm A10 and I have a couple of questions.
            I have a Freewing 80mm A10 that I must sell (for health and space reasons, I must go smaller).
            Here are my questions about the 64mm A-10:
            1. Is the quality of the 64mm as good as the quality of the 80mm?
            2. I would like as long a flight times as possible. Is there room to install a 4000ma, or even bigger, battery? I don't mind "hogging" out foam to make a bigger battery fit.
            Thank you,
            BCRC

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
              Asking again, since it seems the question might have been missed - some commented on reinforcing the nose wheel mounting. Any suggestions on the best way to do so? When I'm ready to fly, I'll be flying off our club's dirt runway, and it's not always the most gentle on gear.
              I used a piece of CF plate and cut a piece out to glue into the nose area. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post38186237

Comment

• I cut an epoxy stir stick(popsicle stick) in two and foam tac'd the two pieces on each side of retract. It has worked well for the last three years. I have the 6 blade fan version (v1).I get 4 min with china hobbyline 4000ma 40c. I only use full throttle on take off.
                Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcrc View Post
                  I am considering buying a Freewing 64mm A10 and I have a couple of questions.
                  I have a Freewing 80mm A10 that I must sell (for health and space reasons, I must go smaller).
                  2. I would like as long a flight times as possible. Is there room to install a 4000ma, or even bigger, battery? I don't mind "hogging" out foam to make a bigger battery fit.
                  Thank you,
                  BCRC
                  Flight time depends on your motor and amp load in relationship to the input battery source. I recommend using a 4s 4000mah 30C(min) discharge pack.
                  in this case i recommend the proven setup that sounds like the bigger 80mm version at the same time optimizing the power at 64mm

Motor 64mm 12 Blades 2822 3500KV 3-4S

Venom Fly 30C 4S 5000mAh

The venom packs are great because they have a low IR drop under load and for the 5000mah capacity is actually equivalent to most 4s 3300mah packs at 45C discharge, so they were able to crunch in all that density to a smaller realestate. This way you wont have to modifiy the A-10 as much to fit a standard higher capacity pack in there.

The stock setup for the A10 freewing is rubbish in comparison, and no where close to its larger counterpart.

let me know if you have additional questions

Comment

I am considering buying a Freewing 64mm A10 and I have a couple of questions.
                    Thank you,
                    BCRC
                    The best way to get good flight times is to get a battery with high capacity but lower the C rating. When I had this plane I would fly it with a 4s 30c 5000. I got gobs of flight time considering. But then I found a pack that was 35c 6000mah and lighter weight! It got even better! Don't pay attention to all the complicated nonsense. My plane used 110amps at full throttle (stock uses even less by the way) and my battery was capable of comfortably discharging at 150amps with the 30c 5000 and 210amps with the 35c 6000 pack. The plane was super happy with the extra discharge rate and flew much longer since the battery wasn't being stressed at all.

Both packs worked great but of course the 6000 was my fave. When choosing a battery its best to try and find a happy medium between discharge rate, weight and capacity. With me I always choose capacity that is high with a lower C but higher overall discharge rate.Check out my playlist to see the evolution of this plane for me. I loved it but ended up giving it up for the larger FMS bird...

Also check out the flight time on this video...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

The stock setup for the A10 freewing is rubbish in comparison, and no where close to its larger counterpart.

let me know if you have additional questions
                      Thanks for the info on the batteries.

Is your last comment saying that the smaller 64mm is rubbish compared to the 80mm?

Comment

Is your last comment saying that the smaller 64mm is rubbish compared to the 80mm?
                        I have owned the 64mm Stock powered, Change Sun powered and then my last set up had 12 blade 3500kv motors that was really good! I have also owned the FMS 70mm and flown a couple of the Freewing 80mm A-10s as well. The stock 64mm fans work well but they tend to be whiny since they are 5 blade fans. They are very efficient but just lack the noise that we like. Anything 12 blade will sound better but lack efficiency at the higher throttle settings. Where they shine is at the half throttle settings where they tend to move lots of air but barely use any amps.

The Stock 9 blade in the 80mm Freewing A-10 is a good compromise between efficiency, sound and thrust. They work really well in the plane but it needs a better battery arrangement to make full use of the 2 batteries that are in there. Putting them in parallel makes it work much better and has been proven in a couple of F-14s that friends own.

Be sure to take advice from people who have owned and flown planes being referenced... lots of people that just make stuff up that doesn't relate.
                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• The 64mm now comes stock with the 12 blade fans.

Comment

Hey bcrc,
                            the stock setup use to be 5 blade (which is when i owned mine) and apparently, there is a 12 blade counterpart, probably from a more recent version (thank you hoomi for chiming in)
                            The EDF combo i have suggested however is superior to any 64mm combination on the market both from many point of views, power, efficiency, sound, and the way they come balanced out of the box from the factory. The reason is because of the perfect balance of the rated 3500KV and the relatively bigger size of the outrunner themselves coupled with the pitch of these impellers.

what i meant by rubbish in my previous post is with respect to the 5 blade setup sound and performance wise on 4s is nowhere close to what you might already be use to with your 80mm setup....performance and soundwise.

The batteries i have suggested in my experience are far superior to anything out there, based on my experience, they are expensive but they make up for it over time. Note the rated discharge on these venom packs are more or less equivalent to other suppliers who rathe their discharge ratings at a higher level... so my point is just go with these if you can for optimal performance.

my 2 cents, hopefully, it provides some value for you

good luck and cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                              The 64mm now comes stock with the 12 blade fans.
                              the older ones were 5 blade

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

Hey bcrc,
                                the stock setup use to be 5 blade (which is when i owned mine) and apparently, there is a 12 blade counterpart, probably from a more recent version (thank you hoomi for chiming in)
                                The EDF combo i have suggested however is superior to any 64mm combination on the market both from many point of views, power, efficiency, sound, and the way they come balanced out of the box from the factory. The reason is because of the perfect balance of the rated 3500KV and the relatively bigger size of the outrunner themselves coupled with the pitch of these impellers.

what i meant by rubbish in my previous post is with respect to the 5 blade setup sound and performance wise on 4s is nowhere close to what you might already be use to with your 80mm setup....performance and soundwise.

The batteries i have suggested in my experience are far superior to anything out there, based on my experience, they are expensive but they make up for it over time. Note the rated discharge on these venom packs are more or less equivalent to other suppliers who rathe their discharge ratings at a higher level... so my point is just go with these if you can for optimal performance.

my 2 cents, hopefully, it provides some value for you

good luck and cheers
                                Sorry, by quality, I meant the looks and quality of the overall airplane - especially the foam. Like: how good is the "alligator skin"? My 80mm is as good as it gets. Is the 64mm just as good or does it look more alligator like? How are the graphics? Are they already on, or can I choose my own? etc.

Thanks,
                                BCRC

Comment

• The graphics are already on the plane. It would be nice if Freewing offered an undecorated version, allowing us to choose which paint scheme, which base/unit, etc. Callie has some great graphics for the 80mm A-10, so I'd bet she could rescale them for the 64mm.

I don't know if you can tell from the photos in this topic, but I think the skin texture is pretty good. As several of us have said, one of the biggest complaints with this bird is the terribly out-of-scale pilot, who looks more attired for a sport jet. I have to double-check as well, but I think the Pave Penny pod on the right side of the fuselage, alongside the cockpit, is a bit out of scale as well (though not nearly as bad as the pilot figure). Additionally, the AGM-65 missiles look like they were painted by someone who had never so much as looked at a photo of a real Maverick missile, though I have to admit, I tend to be a bit more picky about that than most might be, as I'm much, MUCH, too familiar with what Maverick looks like.

Comment

Sorry, by quality, I meant the looks and quality of the overall airplane - especially the foam. Like: how good is the "alligator skin"? My 80mm is as good as it gets. Is the 64mm just as good or does it look more alligator like? How are the graphics? Are they already on, or can I choose my own? etc.

Thanks,
                                    BCRC
                                    I would say the 80mm has a better finish all around, come to think of it its hard to think back on it as it was a while ago since i had my 64mm A10

Comment

• Here's a couple of close-up shots of the finish on the 64mm A-10. Since I don't have an 80mm model, I can't really say how it compares, but you can draw your own conclusion from the photos.

Comment

• Iam useing admial 4000 4s batts. They fit fine. The strap is tooooo short had to teplace that right away. Iv had both versions of this plane. The newer 12 blade hulls so keep it in close lol

Comment

• I think we all need a copy of this as well:

Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II: 1972 to date (all marks) (Owners' Workshop Manual) [Steve Davies] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Dubbed 'Warthog' - or just 'Hog' - by those who fly and maintain it, the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II is the world's undisputed close air support attack jet. As tough as it is ugly

Comment

Working...
                                          X