Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...i am an intermediate to advanced flyer...w an 1800 pack all the way forward my f9 flies great but drops its nose in turns...do i need to mix in some ele or is this a cg issue...tia

Comment

I am about ready to maiden my f9f and have read all the comments on this site. I have landing gear and an admiral 1600 mah battery. I am using a Spektrum AS3X 6ch reciever. By moving the ESC forward my CG is right at 45mm as per the manual. Based on the comments should the CG be moved forward? What CG have most of you had success with when flying. I did not add any weight but have no desire to maiden a tail heavy plane. Should I leave the CG at 45mm?
      art

Comment

Originally posted by Bo ingram View Post
        ...i am an intermediate to advanced flyer...w an 1800 pack all the way forward my f9 flies great but drops its nose in turns...do i need to mix in some ele or is this a cg issue...tia
        With no rudder on this jet that can happen , slide the cg back a little at a time to get it right

Comment

Originally posted by asesso View Post
          I am about ready to maiden my f9f and have read all the comments on this site. I have landing gear and an admiral 1600 mah battery. I am using a Spektrum AS3X 6ch reciever. By moving the ESC forward my CG is right at 45mm as per the manual. Based on the comments should the CG be moved forward? What CG have most of you had success with when flying. I did not add any weight but have no desire to maiden a tail heavy plane. Should I leave the CG at 45mm?
          art
          What's that saying ... Nose heavy .. flys poorly ... tail heavy ..flys once ! I found with mine i needed a more forward cg

Comment

Anyone know how to install the 12 blade fan? I took the stock fan out but the screw on top that holds the blade on the motor shaft is to big? Am I missing something? The fan came from freewing so I thought it could be swapped out but the 12 blade fan has a smaller hole....

Thanks!

Comment

Visited Deland, Florida today, about an hour from me. Shot this video of someone launching a 64mm Panther with a catapult ???? https://youtu.be/TXZn6DUiI6w

Comment

Just ordered a Panther.

I needed a reliable quick and easy EDF to fly while waiting for other stuff to charge.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

With no rudder on this jet that can happen , slide the cg back a little at a time to get it right
                  Nose dropping in turns, CG MIGHT be a little forward. Typically you need rudder into a turn to compensate for adverse yaw on most airplanes.

Double check the other indicators of if CG is correct before changing based on just this one indicator. This is one of the way down the list indicators of possible CG being off, that can be caused by other things.

Its safer to have the nose drop than to have it swing up.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I thought I had the CG a little forward of the spec, I was wrong. Crashed it first flight. So I've repaired the plane and I'm going back to old school and balancing the plane at the front of the wing at the tip. (not the tank but on the wing itself.) I've added 20 grams of weight to achieve this balance point. I do have the landing gear installed. Should be flying it in 2 days and will post the results, good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                      Just ordered a Panther.

I needed a reliable quick and easy EDF to fly while waiting for other stuff to charge.
                      How's yours flying ?

Comment

I'm not the best flier around and The F9F is my second EDF, my first was and still is flying, F18. The Panther took off fine but it quickly went nuts and was uncontrollable. Inspected the plane for things that could have gone wrong but found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure it was a CG problem but won't know till I fly it again. I've flown gas powered planes for years but just got into the foam planes because their already built. Don't get me wrong I love to build planes but I don't have the time anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sturtevant2@email.com View Post
                          I'm not the best flier around and The F9F is my second EDF, my first was and still is flying, F18. The Panther took off fine but it quickly went nuts and was uncontrollable. Inspected the plane for things that could have gone wrong but found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure it was a CG problem but won't know till I fly it again. I've flown gas powered planes for years but just got into the foam planes because their already built. Don't get me wrong I love to build planes but I don't have the time anymore.
                          It seems like it's a tricky flyer for sure . A handful of decent pitots have bought them at my field and have had a few problems as well . I run mine with 4s a bit nose heavy and it goes pretty good .

Comment

I think your right, a little nose heavy probably a good thing on this little EDF. I checked it again and still didn't feel comfortable with the CG so I added another 5 grams of weight for a total of 25 grams to the nose and she's a tad nose heavy at the wing tips, which is where I feel comfortable enough to try it again.

Comment

Well it was more than 2 day's but I took the F9 out today and with the 25 grams of weight in the nose she flew just fine. Maybe a little nose heavy, but I'm going to leave it where it is until I get it trimmed out good. Had to cut the flight short due to a receiver issue. For the record I'm using the standard 11.1 volt 1600mah battery with the landing gear installed. Battery as far forward as it can go without interfering with the nose wheel servo. I added 20 grams to the nose cone and 5 grams at the front of the canopy cover. The plane was a little nose heavy but balanced at the front of the wing tips. NOT THE WING TANKS. That's old school knowledge from the man who taught me to fly 25 years ago. Mr. Bill Lazano.

Comment

Hi guys. I've just bought a f9f panther. I've only flown the e flight apprentice but decided I wanted to move onto edf jets. I'm doing as much research as possible to get her set up right. I'm not rushing into flying her. I've a futaba R2008Sb receiver and a futaba T8j controller. What else do I need guys.

Irish steve

Comment

Irish_steve, If you haven't flown EDF jets before, you might consider a different plane to start with. You see a lot of people saying the CG is not right in the manual. My experience with the F9F was not very rewarding as it only lasted for 3 flights. The plane is quick and if the throws aren't set low enough you will experience some not so pleasant moments trying to fly the thing. It was my second EDF and the first one retired sorta. I would recommend the F22 4S plane as this plane is so easy to fly it's not funny. I've rebuilt the Panther and installed a 12 blade 4S setup in it but haven't tried to fly it. I suggest you read through the thread and make your decision based on the experiences of a lot of people who have and have not had success with the Panther. Good luck.

Comment

I'm going to stick with this as it was a gift. I'm mechanically minded and am doing a lot of research into this jet. Tha k you for your reply Stuart I really appreciate it.

Have you any pointers or tips or mods for the f9f?

Irish_steve

Comment

Hi guys I've an f9f just about ready for its maiden. I've installed an afterburner led and the more I think about it the more I worry. I'm wondering will it affect airflow and mayb restrict it. I'm running it on a 4s and have the esc changed up. Also have a hobby eagle gyro.

Comment

What has everyone used to put the plane together? Did you use the 5min epoxy it came with, or did you use foam tac?
                                        Thanks!

Comment

I used my own (BSI) epoxy, put the stuff it came with in my field box for field repairs,
                                          I have used foamtac on other freewing EDF's with good results.

Comment

Working...
                                          X