X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello BWJoe and welcome to the Squawk,
    Based upon your description of where you are flying from and the smaller size of the warbirds your presently flying I would give a little pause to the acquisition on the 80mm Sabre for just a little.
    As lead flight instructor at our club I would truly recommend that you get some flight time under your belt with that Marie.
    The reason I say this is because it is twice the flight weight of anything your presently flying which brings with it another venue of characteristics that you need to become familiar with when flying these larger weight birds that have more torque & faster landing speeds just to name a few. Once your comfortable managing this bird versus it managing you on TO's and landings then the jump to that Sabre becomes a lot easier.
    I've seen to many wide eyed pilots that run before they walk and more often than not get a surprise they weren't ready for which usually cost them money sooner than expected.
    Just another perspective. ;)
    With best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I agree with OV10, best to get used to the Mustang first and feel out how much space you need for landings. The thing that concerns me is a 200 ft grass takeoff. I didn't fly mine on grass much, but when I did it took a long time to get airborne ~400ft ish with half flaps. Granted, mine wasn't the best cut or smoothest grass, but its still cause for concern..100 ft takeoffs is no problem on pavement or geotex though.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluewaterjoe View Post
        Chopper and gooniac33.. Thanks for the great input and sharing your perspectives!

The price on the 64mm is definitely easy on the wallet and certainly is an option to consider. Chopper, it does sound like you and I are in similar spots and its helpful to hear your experiences on the progression. I'll have to watch some YouTube videos on that size and thanks for the tip on the underhand launch (never tried that). I'm guessing jumping to jets in either the 64mm or 80mm will be a fun rush. However, I gotta say after watching some of the videos on the 80mm I'm drawn to the substantial size and the awesome sound it produces.

All you guys have commented on the size of the runway and that's probably my biggest concern at this point. Our field is grass and just doesn't feel that big compared to most of the videos I've seen. I'm thinkng take offs would be fine but the landings may be a different story! I'd probably have to hit the very beginning of the field right after the tall grass ends. I guessed our field is about 200 feet but I may have to do a bit of measuring. I'm kinda judging how far it is from Home to first base on a baseball diamond and thinking it's about twice that distance. maybe...

I'm in a suburb of Chicago so our weather is still a bit chilly (although this weekend is supposed to hit the upper 50's) so I have a few weeks before pulling the trigger on this. I'm also sitting on a new FMS P51-D V8 Marie that
        I need to get together.

Anyway... I'm thinking this jet thing is gonna be a blast!! Then there's that red Yak-130 that looks so cool :) ...

Thanks again Guys!
        Joe
        The Yak is a great plane too! It is a little smaller and faster than the F-86 but they handle the same. The F-86 is a really sweet flying plane though. it is perfect for a first bigger EDF. It is forgiving in the air and just enough of a challenge on the ground to get you ready for the others in the series.
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I would wait. You need to be more than profeciant with high powered warbirds. When I started this thread last year I was ready to make the jump but I would not advise this if you have not flown larger high powered low wing birds. It does need one hell of a roll out on landing too
          AMA 1102566

Comment

• Great wealth of information from you guys and, again, it's much appreciated!

I think it makes perfect sense to get the Marie in the air and get comfortable with it, especially with the field size. After all, that's why I bought her and look forward to flying it as well :). The 80mm Sabre is still in my sights and It's great to know it's
            within close reach. Man, I have to figure out how to carve out more flying time. This work stuff gets in the way :).

I may also pilfer a receiver from another plane and for $89 bucks get the 64mm Sabre as a stepping stone to get my jet fix while flying the Marie.
            I watched some videos of the 64mm and I can see Chopper's point as how it can belly land in a short distance.

I like that there are multiple levels to this hobby as it never gets dull.

You guys have given me a lot of great options to consider. Thanks Again!
            Joe

Comment

• I love my F-86. It's the best EDF to fly in windy conditions, I think. I've flown it fine with 10mph wind 90 degree across the runway, and it handles fine.

I don't think it's that fast, but it sounds great. It sounds a lot better than any other EDF I own, including the T-45. The way the fuse is tuned for the 80mm fan is great. Sounds like a jet screaming by, especially in a hard bank turn away from the pilot.

I fly an Admiral 5000. I removed the ESC bracket and push the battery all the way back against the fuse. Didn't have to carve out anything (I don't think). I get 4 minutes out of it, no problem.

Definitely recommended as the first big EDF for someone new at these.

Enjoy!

Comment

• The F-86 is a great entry into the bigger edfs. It is actually the size of a 90mm jet if you think about it. The F-5 is a fraction of the size but still uses the same power system and has much higher performance as a result. The only issue with the F-86 and cross winds is the taxi. It tips pretty easily.

Now another thing to think about here... the Mig-21 is a great plane too! Wider stance and really wide speed range. The wings are stubby but the airfoil is really thick! I would say that it is a good one to start with too....
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                  The F-86 is a great entry into the bigger edfs. It is actually the size of a 90mm jet if you think about it. The F-5 is a fraction of the size but still uses the same power system and has much higher performance as a result. The only issue with the F-86 and cross winds is the taxi. It tips pretty easily.

Now another thing to think about here... the Mig-21 is a great plane too! Wider stance and really wide speed range. The wings are stubby but the airfoil is really thick! I would say that it is a good one to start with too....
                  Definitely... The MIG21 is a great flier if you can get past it's horrible looks haha!

The F86 should've been a 90mm for sure, but it does pretty well on good 80 considering it's size!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

Definitely... The MIG21 is a great flier if you can get past it's horrible looks haha!

The F86 should've been a 90mm for sure, but it does pretty well on good 80 considering it's size!
                    It is hideous... until you fly it and see what amazing things it can do!! here it is performing on a short runway...

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

It is hideous... until you fly it and see what amazing things it can do!! here it is performing on a short runway...

That's a great flying plane man... I just can't get past the looks haha! It's gotta have the look to boot for me.

Comment

• They just need the same system in an F-106, then the looks problem is solved :).

Comment

• Hey BWjoe! Your in Chicago, maybe you'd consider going to Nefi in Muncie in the middle of June, a bunch of us, including Charlie and me, will be there and you can check out a big variety of birds there and actually see them fly. The best way to judge whether it fits your needs and environment. The runway factor had got to be taken in to consideration.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi Grossman! I had to google what Nefi is :). Saw a bunch of pics on Flickr and it looks like a good time with a lot of cool planes. I may have to get down there if work and time permits.
                            Thanks for the invite!

Comment

• Hey that MIG-21 doen't look that bad LOL... What the heck is that spear on the front! I like it!

Do you guys find that it's easier to lose orientation with the jets? I'm watching some you tube videos where the jet is pretty far away and the guy is doing some fast barrel rolls. Seems
                              like it would be hard to come out of the rolls knowing if you're right side up or upside down??

Comment

• Decided to upgrade my F-86 to the inrunner and 100amp ESC....DANG! The ESC/Motor wires are a few inches short!! And my soldering skills/experience is terrible to make up some extensions. I see MotionRC sells the extensions in 16awg, but the upgrade ESC is 12awg. Thinking that's not a good idea to buy/install 16awg.
                                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluewaterjoe View Post
                                  Hey that MIG-21 doen't look that bad LOL... What the heck is that spear on the front! I like it!
                                  It's for roasting marshmellows...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161102_092221.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	62738
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                    Decided to upgrade my F-86 to the inrunner and 100amp ESC....DANG! The ESC/Motor wires are a few inches short!! And my soldering skills/experience is terrible to make up some extensions. I see MotionRC sells the extensions in 16awg, but the upgrade ESC is 12awg. Thinking that's not a good idea to buy/install 16awg.
                                    Where is your ESC located? The F-86 comes with motor wire extensions already on it or at least mine did. I just swapped mine to the Mig-21 1800 kV fan and went with the Gecko 125A ESC. It's overkill I know but what I had. I had more motor lead wires than I knew what to do with.

Comment

• The leads are just short enough that I can't position the ESC Perpendicular to the fuselage in the designated position. Need about an inch more of lead to get it turned into position.
                                      Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                        The leads are just short enough that I can't position the ESC Perpendicular to the fuselage in the designated position. Need about an inch more of lead to get it turned into position.
                                        Issue resolved...made some extension leads 12awg.
                                        Lon

Comment

• Anyone not sure about Nefi, check out the video links that I posted here, scroll down the page
                                          Well, it's only 4 1/2 months to NEFI, so all you guys who missed out on it last year, start planning! There are campsites just to the rear of the flying field if we

Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X