Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 80mm EDF F-86 Sabre Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

100% agree!! The FMS set up is a huge leap in performance and flight time! Batteries will not puff or get hot at all either. Leaps and bounds better in all ways...
    I know, it’s like we’re FMS reps haha

Some jets are better fit with Inrunners and higher capacity/discharge rated lipos (F-22). Then there are the others, like the F-16, F-86, which get the same speed and flight time on lighter EDF units and smaller capacity (lighter) lipos. Eventually someone puts together the best mixture of components for that particular airplane, and it will perform about as good as it can without dropping unreasonable amounts of money on components that cost as much of money as the plane itself.

For instance my first two EDFs were the F-16 (90mm) and F-86. They both started with stock outrunner EDFs, then I initially upgraded to FW Inrunners, and settled on FMS units. The Inrunners did improve power and speed, but the flight time was decreased. They also lose some of the slow speed stability and overall agility. In the F-16 I noticed that anything with larger capacity than a 5000mah lipo (weight wise) would fly much heavier, and have no increase in flight time at all. Eventually I found that a 4000mahl would get the same flight time as a 5000mah HRB 50c, but would take off in a fraction of the distance and climb forever.

In the end, this plane just flatout does better with the FMS, same as the F-16.

**ESPECIALLY if flying off grass** The tiny wheels on grass are like taking off on an inclined runway, and weight obviously causes them to work even worse.

Goon- I know you know this, as do most, but the F-86 is where I started with EDFs, so I figured that explaining in a little extra detail might benefit someone starting here too

Comment

• Korean F-86
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

I know, it’s like we’re FMS reps haha

Some jets are better fit with Inrunners and higher capacity/discharge rated lipos (F-22). Then there are the others, like the F-16, F-86, which get the same speed and flight time on lighter EDF units and smaller capacity (lighter) lipos. Eventually someone puts together the best mixture of components for that particular airplane, and it will perform about as good as it can without dropping unreasonable amounts of money on components that cost as much of money as the plane itself.

For instance my first two EDFs were the F-16 (90mm) and F-86. They both started with stock outrunner EDFs, then I initially upgraded to FW Inrunners, and settled on FMS units. The Inrunners did improve power and speed, but the flight time was decreased. They also lose some of the slow speed stability and overall agility. In the F-16 I noticed that anything with larger capacity than a 5000mah lipo (weight wise) would fly much heavier, and have no increase in flight time at all. Eventually I found that a 4000mahl would get the same flight time as a 5000mah HRB 50c, but would take off in a fraction of the distance and climb forever.

In the end, this plane just flatout does better with the FMS, same as the F-16.

**ESPECIALLY if flying off grass** The tiny wheels on grass are like taking off on an inclined runway, and weight obviously causes them to work even worse.

Goon- I know you know this, as do most, but the F-86 is where I started with EDFs, so I figured that explaining in a little extra detail might benefit someone starting here too
        I always feel like I am biased when I say the stuff that I do about the fms fans... but they are just that awesome! I have been pretty impressed with the newer rotor design on the newest freewing inrunner but they still don't do what the fms units can. I still want to try the new 9 blades with some inrunners to see if I can get some good results but haven't had the time.
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Hey F-86 Pilots, we have just released in the US a High Performance version. Check it out here:

Freewing High Performance 80mm Inrunner F-86 Sabre Fighter Jet - Receiver Ready in Jolley Roger Color Scheme - FJ20315P Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing F-86 Sabre 80mm EDF Jet. This version includes a 100A ESC and hybrid metal gear servos. As of 9/6/2023 this model now comes with the
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Hey F-86 Pilots, we have just released in the US a High Performance version. Check it out here:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp
            thats cool!! the unit by itself still cost more than the fms though... and there is a 2100kv version now that is lighter and more powerful than the freewing stuff...nice to have a fan drop right in though! hey will you guys ever offer a kit plus version of 80mm jets again??
            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I can't speak for the Powers That Be but I suspect we will not be carrying ARF + versions of the 80mm's but that's nothing official, just my take.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hey F-86 Pilots, we have just released in the US a High Performance version. Check it out here:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp
                I had a FW F-86. No problem taking off of grass as long as you had the Cg back far enough. I liked the plane a lot, but it was pretty slow. Are there any reports on the relative performance of this new version? I'd like more speed.

Comment

• I don't have any specific data but with this inrunner she should be noticeably quicker than the old outrunner version.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I don't have any specific data but with this inrunner she should be noticeably quicker than the old outrunner version.
                    I believe with the new rotor design that the plane should move pretty good with that new set up.

Comment

• should be pretty good with the new set up as you can only push this big bulkey air frame so fast ,,, I used the fms 2100 edf and like the results but id reather do the new fan as I really didn't like cutting the foam in the motor compartment… don't get me wrong I think the fms fan makes it go about as fast as it will go without new techknolegy (my spelling sucks)

Comment

• Anyone know if the new upgraded F 86 Sabre is any better then the old F 86 .I fly off a grass strip and my F 86 only just gets airborne and I have to fly it around full throttle because I think it is a bit underpowered .Keen on buying the new upgraded F 86 but just need to find out if the power increase is that much difference to the old F 86 before I fork our £300 odd only to find out there is not a lot of difference to the one I already have !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                          Anyone know if the new upgraded F 86 Sabre is any better then the old F 86 .I fly off a grass strip and my F 86 only just gets airborne and I have to fly it around full throttle because I think it is a bit underpowered .Keen on buying the new upgraded F 86 but just need to find out if the power increase is that much difference to the old F 86 before I fork our £300 odd only to find out there is not a lot of difference to the one I already have !!!!
                          Hi Captain - I haven't flown either one so I couldn't make a definitive judgement on that without doing so, but, a 12 blade fan will make more static thrust on take-off than an 8 or 10 blade, with a slight trade-off in dynamic thrust once airborne and up to speed - a change from outrunner to inrunner should give more revs though, so the new one should have a bit more oooomph on take-off without losing any in the air. But like I say, I haven't flown either... I live in Scotland so I'm no stranger to damp grass runways and my new version FW262 gets off fine without the need for a bowling green, provided I use about 20 degrees of flap for take-off, keep the climb angle relatively shallow when she lifts off, no steep turns until she's gathered some speed and tuck the gear away before raising the flaps. I've also got the flaps on a 5 second tx programmed slow from clean to full flap. It helps stop ballooning when deploying, sure, but the bigger benefit is not losing the extra lift suddenly as I raise them while she's still accelerating. She goes like stink at full chat too, I'm throttled back a bit in level flight to keep her looking scale and full throttle in the vertical up provides huge Cubans etc..

If I've attempted to teach my granny to suck eggs here, profound apologies, but the f86 is pretty iconic and some folks reading this thread may be thinking about bypassing the sport jet type step and getting one as a first edf,,so I thought they might find the techniques useful.

Comment

• I have re-engined mine with the new Xicoy X45 turbine and it flys way better than when it had the JetCat P20 in it. I made a quick video, not very good, but gives you the idea of how it goes with a 10lb thrust turbine!

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil from Model Squadron View Post
                              Hi.
                              NFMS, Welcome to "The Squawk". Looking forward to to your pictures and advise. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Wow Aussie 1 Now that is what I would like my F 86 to fly like .I do not expect the upgrade to be like that !! I have order the high power F 86 from Motion RC Europe and fingers cross it will be an improvement on my old F 86 .Once I get it up and running I tell you what it is like compared to the old F 86

Comment

• For those flying the stock F86. Where do you find your throttle position for cruising around. On four flights I’m like 3/4 throttle. Ive got a bit more weight added with mods and a couple flight were with 5000mah batteries so I was even heavier then, but it seemed to like more power. Just wondering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Race 22 Crew View Post
                                    For those flying the stock F86. Where do you find your throttle position for cruising around. On four flights I’m like 3/4 throttle. Ive got a bit more weight added with mods and a couple flight were with 5000mah batteries so I was even heavier then, but it seemed to like more power. Just wondering.
                                    With the stock powered bird that is the cruise setting. It is also the main reason why I encourage people change it out to the FMS set up. Weight loss and the thrust it provides at half throttle while only drawing a fraction of the amps that the stock unit does...

Comment

With the stock powered bird that is the cruise setting. It is also the main reason why I encourage people change it out to the FMS set up. Weight loss and the thrust it provides at half throttle while only drawing a fraction of the amps that the stock unit does...
                                      What is the FMS set up?

Comment

Have you tried the FW 1857kv inrunner setup in anything yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Have you tried the FW 1857kv inrunner setup in anything yet?
                                          Nope.... I have seen an L-39 with it and it seemed pretty good!

Comment

Working...
                                          X