Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like some opinions about how this F-86 flies compared to a few of the newer FW Jets. I had a F-86 when it first came out. It was my first EDF and I had issues with landing and went through a few nose LG and many repairs to the front end until one day I crashed. I've kept all the parts, less the foam. I went back to propeller planes for a few years. I now have an Avanti S and a F-18.

Would I still enjoy the FW F-86 or should I put my $$ into a later model EDF?

Thanks

SJ

Comment

• The F 86 is my favourite Freewing EDF .Easy to fly take offs and landings are a doddle .In my opionion this one of the easiest jets to fly along with the 90mm Venom and looks just great in the air

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheriffjohn View Post
        I would like some opinions about how this F-86 flies compared to a few of the newer FW Jets. I had a F-86 when it first came out. It was my first EDF and I had issues with landing and went through a few nose LG and many repairs to the front end until one day I crashed. I've kept all the parts, less the foam. I went back to propeller planes for a few years. I now have an Avanti S and a F-18.

Would I still enjoy the FW F-86 or should I put my $$ into a later model EDF?

Thanks

SJ
        I love the looks and sound of the F86 but I find my BAe Hawk has become my go to jet now, it takes the same batteries that I use in the Sabre but just seems to have better performance and slightly longer flight times, and the Red Arrows paint scheme is easier to see against the grey cloudy skies we usually get here.

Comment

• Yes ,the Freewing Hawk is also up there with the F 86 and Venom .Mmmm so is the F16, F 35 the Me 262 and now the Albatross L 39 .In fact any Freewing EDF

Comment

• Hey everyone,

My F-86 is all together and I just tested the "tail sit" balance that I have read about. I am using a 4000 60C battery and it is placed up against the plywood plate securing the ESC.

I can rotate the plane so that the tail sits down, and it stays. If I touch the nose very lightly, it will rotate back onto the nose wheel. This is the desired balance, correct? It's ready to fly?

Comment

• Sounds right according to the different post. You can always make it a little more nose heavy for the first couple flights and move it back later. Tail heavy planes many times don’t survive that first flight. Good luck, they fly great. Check your main gear and make sure they are firmly glued in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kmot View Post
                Hey everyone,

My F-86 is all together and I just tested the "tail sit" balance that I have read about. I am using a 4000 60C battery and it is placed up against the plywood plate securing the ESC.

I can rotate the plane so that the tail sits down, and it stays. If I touch the nose very lightly, it will rotate back onto the nose wheel. This is the desired balance, correct? It's ready to fly?
                I balanced my sons F-86 using this method and it makes it a totally different airplane to fly. Basically if you push the tail down it should stay down, raise the tail up 1" and it should fall on the nose wheel. Using an Admiral 6s 5000mah battery it's basically all the way back against the foam bulkhead.

Have fun!

Comment

• Thanks fella's!

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

I balanced my sons F-86 using this method and it makes it a totally different airplane to fly. Basically if you push the tail down it should stay down, raise the tail up 1" and it should fall on the nose wheel. Using an Admiral 6s 5000mah battery it's basically all the way back against the foam bulkhead.

Have fun!
                    During my flight this past Saturday, I was using a heavier battery, and I wasn't able to get the tail to stay down. Almost, but not quite. There was no headwind for take off and I was on a grass field. I was beginning to get worried that I wouldn't be able to rotate, when she finally rotated and eased into the air. You definitely don't want to be too nose heavy, if flying off of grass, on a calm day.
                    ---
                    Warbirder

Comment

• Hey everyone,

Interesting to read this, so my question regarding this balance method ??? is it also usable for other EDF's......!

thanks for answers

grts Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by timmybeetle View Post
                        Hey everyone,

Interesting to read this, so my question regarding this balance method ??? is it also usable for other EDF's......!

thanks for answers

grts Hans
                        Not exactly. It is very dependent on how the landing gear are positioned with respect to the CG on an individual airframe. For the F-86, it is spot-on though!

Comment

• I understand it also works well for the Avios Mig17

Comment

• Hi

OK I understand CG location...well if CG is at almost same place as main LG, than this will work. Thanks for info. Grts Hans

Comment

• Me-262, too. Or at least it’s very close to tail sitting.
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• Here is a quick video showing the FMS 2100kv “Pro” Version. I had the same motor/fan combo with the different spinner (black instead of silver) but I ended up “needing” the latest model. Even though it may just be the spinner haha. I have the one I just removed with the 100a ESC, specific to the F-86, if anyone wants to go FMS. I think it has about 4 flights on it total

Sorry about my wife yelling in the video... at least she records for me though

jim

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
                                  Here is a quick video showing the FMS 2100kv “Pro” Version. I had the same motor/fan combo with the different spinner (black instead of silver) but I ended up “needing” the latest model. Even though it may just be the spinner haha. I have the one I just removed with the 100a ESC, specific to the F-86, if anyone wants to go FMS. I think it has about 4 flights on it total

jim
                                  How much would you like for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
                                    Here is a quick video showing the FMS 2100kv “Pro” Version. I had the same motor/fan combo with the different spinner (black instead of silver) but I ended up “needing” the latest model. Even though it may just be the spinner haha. I have the one I just removed with the 100a ESC, specific to the F-86, if anyone wants to go FMS. I think it has about 4 flights on it total

jim
                                    The new platinum set up is different. But I have 2 of the 2100kv with plastic spinners waiting for homes... I think one will be in the Eflite F-18
                                    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• The other setup I removed is past the international dateline by now. Could you see any increased performance? I didn’t disassemble the two together being as they didn’t need to be balanced, felt and sound fine. All I know is that with every change in EDF was noticeably better than the last. With some of them it was evident right away. The difference between the Pro and it’s predecessor was not as noticeable

Comment

• Are there any 3D print upgrade parts/files for the F-86?

Comment

• yup that's the fms 2100 all the power the f86 needs... mine is the v1 not the pro but looks the same and sounds the same love it considering the stock motor could hardly get it going

Comment

Working...
                                          X