Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my opinion, it appears to have good performance on the new motor. I flew an older one on both stock and the FMS90mm fan. I prefer this 1650KV myself.
    And for the record, it IS stock.

As far as flight time goes, I hit the pattern at 2:00. I roll up to the bench at between 2:30 and 3:00 depending on if a go-around is in order due to wind usually.
    With mixed throttle you can land at around 30% remaining. If you are heavy in the throttle the whole time, you will land at about 15%.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
      In my opinion, it appears to have good performance on the new motor. I flew an older one on both stock and the FMS90mm fan. I prefer this 1650KV myself.

As far as flight time goes, I hit the pattern at 2:00. I roll up to the bench at between 2:30 and 3:00 depending on if a go-around is in order due to wind usually.
      With mixed throttle you can land at around 30% remaining. If you are heavy in the throttle the whole time, you will land at about 15%.
      Oh okay, so yours came stock with the new 1650kv, mine has the old 1550kv unit in it, its not bad but just wanted to see if the new 1650kv was worth it. Thanks

Comment

In my opinion, it appears to have good performance on the new motor. I flew an older one on both stock and the FMS90mm fan. I prefer this 1650KV myself.

SeaViper, good to see and hear you back on the Sqwak. Is the 1650KV the only change in the up grade? Still using the V1 BEC, etc? Sounds like something I need to do.

Comment

• Put 4 more flights on the bird today. Hopefully I can upload a video in the near future. Loving it! No foam was damaged this weekend!

As far as I can tell, the V-2 has the MCB-D, a new motor/fan unit, different ribbon connectors for wings (for the new blue box), and apparently different retract units. I can tell you that performance is similar to the older one. However, today the guys were commenting on how fast it was. They never did that with the older one. I think the BEC and ESC are unchanged.

Comment

Put 4 more flights on the bird today. Hopefully I can upload a video in the near future. Loving it! No foam was damaged this weekend!

As far as I can tell, the V-2 has the MCB-D, a new motor/fan unit, different ribbon connectors for wings (for the new blue box), and apparently different retract units. I can tell you that performance is similar to the older one. However, today the guys were commenting on how fast it was. They never did that with the older one. I think the BEC and ESC are unchanged.
            I have the V1 and had some issues with the CG or stalling on my maiden? I have not flown it again, but hope to sometime soon.
            So I was wondering if the new motor would be a good idea?

Rich

Comment

• Here is about the only video I have of this weekend. It's a cell phone video from Sunday. 9 flights on her now.

This is a bone stock T-45 with a turnigy hd 5000. This was not one of my more aggressive flights. Just having fun flying.

The guy commenting at the end of the video flew A-6's off the boat and was an instructor pilot in the T-2 and A-4.

Comment

• Finally some 4K video from Saturday, June 29, 2019. I have a few more to upload.

This was just a CG verification flight. I didn't wring her out. But you can see the performance of the stock power and an old Turnigy heavy duty 5000.

slats and half flaps on takeoff
                slats and full flaps on landing

Stock 1650KV setup
                Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000maH battery with lots of flights on it
                XT90's
                FrSky X9D Plus (camo case, hall effect sticks)
                X8R
                FLVSS

altitude about 600ft MSL, temps hotter than hot, humidity like being under water

Comment

• Another from Saturday

Comment

• Very nice flight, I really like the sound of that new 1650kv unit, glad they changed to the new fans, think I will dump my 1550kv and get one of those new ones. Nice landing by the way.

Comment

• Thank you sir. Most of my landings usually come out ok. Some don't. It's good to have a supply of spare parts on hand. A couple weeks ago or so I made an otherwise fine landing and the plane came to a sudden halt. Walked out to it and the wing was broken and twisted down and back. I think I got a wheel stuck in a clump of grass. The retract units and struts were not damaged. So, new wing panels, and she's back in the air as seen in the above videos.

I did remove the lower gear doors because I think they caused the damage by getting stuck in the grass. I had to re-glue the nose gear mount as the factory had too little glue in that area. Also the flap hinges were just barely glued on.

But now she is fine as you can see. I really like the T-45 and wish Motion would go back to super scale vs the (in my opinion) over powered, over simplified sport models.

Comment

• I think this model is still my all time favorite. What a looker!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
                          I think this model is still my all time favorite. What a looker!
                          Agreed, love the looks of T-45, I will always keep one in my hangar if possible.

:Cool:

Comment

• I've always wanted this one. Maybe I'll pull the trigger this year.

Comment

Thank you sir. Most of my landings usually come out ok. Some don't. It's good to have a supply of spare parts on hand. A couple weeks ago or so I made an otherwise fine landing and the plane came to a sudden halt. Walked out to it and the wing was broken and twisted down and back. I think I got a wheel stuck in a clump of grass. The retract units and struts were not damaged. So, new wing panels, and she's back in the air as seen in the above videos.

I did remove the lower gear doors because I think they caused the damage by getting stuck in the grass. I had to re-glue the nose gear mount as the factory had too little glue in that area. Also the flap hinges were just barely glued on.

But now she is fine as you can see. I really like the T-45 and wish Motion would go back to super scale vs the (in my opinion) over powered, over simplified sport models.
                              Maybe you can report back after you get some more flights and tell us if the V2 motor upgrade is worth switching out to the 1650? You didn't sound very convincing so far :)

Rich

Comment

• Honestly Rich I think its a great motor. My flying buddy had a 1550kv powered T-45 and lost it on takeoff due to reversed ailerons last week. So there went my chance to compare it against the original. Any comparison I do is from memory of last year's T-45 flights on the 1550kv bird. I think it performs better on the new motor/fan. I am getting airborne off rough (understatement) grass in just about the same distance as the L-39 if that helps. And that is with year-old Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000's.

Edit: Last year I also flew the T-45 on the YEP150 / FMS90mm EDF combo. In my opinion, the performance of this newer V2 version is better. This is however highly subjective and completely unscientific.

I can tell you that the V-2 has beefier landing gear. The retract case is slightly longer requiring you to mill out some foam to install them in the wing panels. Also, the nose gear connecting pin is as big as an axle now. Anyone who flies off grass knows how bad grass can be for nose gear pins. The new gear is definitely grass ready.

Comment

Honestly Rich I think its a great motor. My flying buddy had a 1550kv powered T-45 and lost it on takeoff due to reversed ailerons last week. So there went my chance to compare it against the original. Any comparison I do is from memory of last year's T-45 flights on the 1550kv bird. I think it performs better on the new motor/fan. I am getting airborne off rough (understatement) grass in just about the same distance as the L-39 if that helps. And that is with year-old Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000's.

Edit: Last year I also flew the T-45 on the YEP150 / FMS90mm EDF combo. In my opinion, the performance of this newer V2 version is better. This is however highly subjective and completely unscientific.

I can tell you that the V-2 has beefier landing gear. The retract case is slightly longer requiring you to mill out some foam to install them in the wing panels. Also, the nose gear connecting pin is as big as an axle now. Anyone who flies off grass knows how bad grass can be for nose gear pins. The new gear is definitely grass ready.
                                  Your saying the retracts don't come installed now? That is strange, I've had three of these so far and never had an issue with the gear on any of mine and they came installed ready to go...:Confused:

Comment

• No, I'm saying that when I put on the new wing panels after my bad landing incident, I had to mill out foam for the v2 retracts to fit. There is no issue with the gear. They are even stronger now than before.

Comment

Honestly Rich I think its a great motor. My flying buddy had a 1550kv powered T-45 and lost it on takeoff due to reversed ailerons last week. So there went my chance to compare it against the original. Any comparison I do is from memory of last year's T-45 flights on the 1550kv bird. I think it performs better on the new motor/fan. I am getting airborne off rough (understatement) grass in just about the same distance as the L-39 if that helps. And that is with year-old Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000's.

seaviper

Thank you for taking the time to explain and totally understand this is pretty subjective. Also, I fly from a pavement runway and have the L39 among others. The landing gear will work nicely, unless I bounce it hard on the runway.

I had a scare with the T45 on my maiden which was most likely due to CG (?) for a 90mm it seemed to lack on power. I know the T45 is heavy but, thought it should fly a bit faster and stronger. So, I am considering going with the new 3748-1650kV motor fan unit. Although, part of me just wants to fly it as is, because of the many youtube videos showing this jet flying great.

Rich

Comment

No, I'm saying that when I put on the new wing panels after my bad landing incident, I had to mill out foam for the v2 retracts to fit. There is no issue with the gear. They are even stronger now than before.
                                        Oh okay, gotcha, that is one thing that I haven't had one problem with and that is the gear, no problems actually on this jet at all, so far many flights as it sits all stock.....:Cool:

Comment

• A flight from yesterday. It was really windy at altitude. A thunderstorm was approaching from behind the camera. On this day, landings were a challenge. But she made it home safe.
                                          A friend got his plane stuck in the big tree at the end right after this flight. Then it rained.

Edit: slats and half flaps on landing due to wind.

Comment

Working...
                                          X