X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 80mm Mirage 2000

Anyone have any experience to recommend or avoid the 80mm Freewing Mirage 2000? I'm looking for the next EDF, and this one looks interesting. Wanted to know what I was getting into.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

How much EDF experience have you had?

The Mirage80 is a great performer and can be a ton of fun, but it takes a special eye that most need to develop before being successful flying it.

It's extremely agile and can roll over on you in a blink if your rates aren't right or if you try to over control it.

It also lands pretty hot and that can throw some people off... Although it belly lands great so that can be learned over time.

All in all, my JF80 Mirage was clocked at 149mph and it's one of my biggest crowd pleasers :)

Comment

When ever I am considering a new airplane costing more than $200 I take it a step further in my research seeking to become more familiar with that particular air frames flight envelope. I want to make sure I will like how it flies. I have found flight simulators like DCS and War thunder to be very useful to become familiar with a particular airplanes flight dynamics. I have flown the F-86 Saber in DCS and have found it an easy and enjoyable jet to fly. Now I have no doubt I will enjoy the Freewing 80mm F-86.

DCS just so happens to have a Mirage 2000C module available that is fairly new to DCS. However the unique thing about the Mirage 2000C is that it is a very stable flying jet thanks to its fly by wire computer, which would be like the equivalent to a gyro on a RC plane. So you can expect a similar flight characteristics if you plan to use a gyro. If you do not plan to use a gyro then I would say the Freewing version would fly more like the older Mirage III, which by the way there is currently a model in development for DCS.

Comment

HI, I have the mirage 80 mm I will say the first flight was interesting, to say the least! I always set my low rate at 50% OOOOOPS way too much so start off at 20% do not go any more than 40%. This jet will turn on a dime and spit you out 20 dollar bills. Know I did add the hobby eagle gyro A3-L that really made it very nice and stable flight and in landings. You do not need it but sure makes it better. I say that to say this buy it you won't regret it. It is fast but can slow down fairly well.

Comment

New Freewing Mirage coming soon. We will have more info shortly but basically new Tiger Meet livery. New power system (same motor, EDF fan and ESC from the Twin 80mm Thunderbolt II) and some 3DPUP sets for the cockpit and nozzle. This baby is sharp!

Comment

Beautiful man! Any idea on approximate availability? You guys are killing my wallet. :Straight-Face: in a good way. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MotionJB View Post
              New Freewing Mirage coming soon. We will have more info shortly but basically new Tiger Meet livery....!
              Any likelihood that there will be a return to an ARF+ for this one?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                Beautiful man! Any idea on approximate availability? You guys are killing my wallet. :Straight-Face: in a good way. LOL
                I'd say 5-7 weeks Steve, they should be on the water soon

Comment

Thank you James. I can work with that. Unless there is also some other undisclosed plane looming out there in addition to this that I will just have to have as well. Could put a hurting on me. :Dizzy: I hope your move goes well.

Comment

If you choose to get it, I think you'll love it, Steve. I've had a blast with the prototype. It's essentially the only Freewing jet that can sustain a hover, which is a welcome maneuver to work on perfecting compared to the usual scale jet flight routine. I like being able to toss it around the sky, hard, and yet it always slows down for gentle landings. The scale sized nosewheel remains preferential to firm runways or manicured grass, but other than that it's my number one "Trunk Plane". With a simply shaped delta wing and removable nose cone, it fits just about anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4236d1.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	134389Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9536b.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	134390
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                      If you choose to get it, I think you'll love it, Steve. I've had a blast with the prototype. It's essentially the only Freewing jet that can sustain a hover, which is a welcome maneuver to work on perfecting compared to the usual scale jet flight routine. I like being able to toss it around the sky, hard, and yet it always slows down for gentle landings. The scale sized nosewheel remains preferential to firm runways or manicured grass, but other than that it's my number one "Trunk Plane". With a simply shaped delta wing and removable nose cone, it fits just about anywhere.

Name:	_MG_4236d1.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	134389Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9536b.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	134390
                      I think the decision has already been made. :Drooling:The only thing missing is a pre-order button A Mirage has been on my bucket list for awhile but now it is "need"! LOL Thank you.

Comment

Alpha, Is there any way to mod for larger nose wheels? I'm not as concerned with the scale accuracy as I am about being able to fly from grass without stressing the nose gear mount point.

Comment

Pics on tclaridge's request showing more detail of the Mirage V2's 3DPUPs.

Note: The nozzle is a direct replacement to the stock foam nozzle. Both of their bases are "keyed" to fit into the fuselage. If you have a Mirage V1 simply remove the stock nozzle and replace it with the 3DP. As long as you didn't epoxy the V1's nozzle in, you should be fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9342.JPG Views:	1 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	134440Click image for larger version  Name:	18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	134444
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9350.JPG Views:	3 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	134445Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9372.JPG Views:	1 Size:	206.5 KB ID:	134443

The cockpit is comprised of two pieces. The seat itself is one piece, and everything else is one piece (cockpit tub, instrument panel, coaming). Installation is simple. On your stock Mirage (V1 or V2), simply pop out the stock foam ejection seat. The 3DPUP then slides directly into the foam cockpit, encasing it completely except the backsplash. Easy! I actually posted pictures of these a few weeks ago in the 3DP thread, but no one noticed which plane it was for. Stay sharp!

The only thing I added to mine in these photos (besides the obvious paint) is masking tape folded and cut to represent seat harnesses:

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9346.JPG Views:	3 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	134446 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9344.JPG
Views:	1001
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	134447
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            Alpha, Is there any way to mod for larger nose wheels? I'm not as concerned with the scale accuracy as I am about being able to fly from grass without stressing the nose gear mount point.
                            Hey Twowingtj, the Mirage's double wheels push through grass alright, but obviously not as well as taller wheels. Using larger wheels would require some surgery, since the current wheels when retracted rest against the floor of the forward cockpit. Luckily, the flight battery is in the aft of the cockpit, so it could work. But obviously, the real limitation, assuming the pivot point of the trunion is kept the same, remains that the distance between the wheel and the door can't be extended much. It doesn't matter how much space you carve above the wheel, if beneath the wheel you still only have a few millimeters.... THAT is the true limit to the maximal diameter of a main wheel in this Mirage's bay. Unless of course you relocated the main retract higher. Again... more surgery.

I'd recommend testing the stock Mirage V2 on your field, and going from there if and only if your field requires it. On the positive side, the Mirage's takeoff and landing is a non-event. Quick to sky, quick to stop.

Comment

More pictures of the cockpit set, installed, and the exhaust nozzle, installed:

Name:	IMG_20180330_191950.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	134454Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180403_164701.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	134456

Name:	IMG_20180401_180308.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	134450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_175843.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	134453

Name:	IMG_20180401_180128.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	134451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_180156.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	134452
                              Attached Files

Comment

And here are pictures of the 330-AX, the reference aircraft for our model:

Real .... Model...

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	134459Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9313.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	134460

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	134461Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	134463

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	134464Click image for larger version

Name:	20.1.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	134465
                                Attached Files

Comment

I'd recommend testing the stock Mirage V2 on your field, and going from there if and only if your field requires it. On the positive side, the Mirage's takeoff and landing is a non-event. Quick to sky, quick to stop.
                                  Thanks for the response Alpha. If the nose wheels on the Mirage are about the same size as the new F-4s, it might work. One of my clubmates just maidened his Phantom and got up OK. A little draggy from the grass, but got there.

Comment

Looking at replacing my fw yak 130 70mm with the mirage (or fms f18). I have older admiral 4000's i assume will fit. I'm not a full throttle all the time flyer, try my best to manage throttle. Mostly 3/4 throttle,WOT on takeoff with a couple WOT verticals. I get 5min safe flying out of the yak. Is 4min out of the mirage average? Anyone know the dimensions of battery bay? Thinking about turnigy 4000 HD's.
                                    Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Will an Admiral 6S 5000 pack fit. If it fits will it cause a CG problem, or increase the total weight too much? I'm really Jonesing for the Tiger scheme Mirage. Any estimate as to when pre-order will open? Can I get an e-mail notification?

Comment

Hey slow down, Alpha! I was going to repaint my Mirage in that scheme. Now I have to find something else that's unique.

And here are pictures of the 330-AX, the reference aircraft for our model:

Real .... Model...

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	134459Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9313.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	134460

Name:	1.jpg