X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest EDF ever assembled is the FW Motion RC F-14 Tomcat

Hello everyone I'm primarally into EDF RC jet flying for the past 7 yrs, been through a slew of jets (perhaps over 25 - 30 not sure) After owning a few Freewing jets I was comfortable purchasing the higher end jets like the 90mm F-16 and T-45.

So when the amazing F-14 arrived I was in shock and surprised, but my biggest peeve was the flight time when it came to 90mm jets, I didn't want to shell out all that money on the kit and lipos, high powered charger, power supply, etc for just 2:30 flight!

I'm so glad to have pulled the trigger as perhaps the most famous military aircraft of all time surprised the hell out of me! The jet has performed outstanding, and with a few scale mods I have this Tomcat looking gorgeous. With over 60 flights logged in on 2 4000mah Heavy Duty Turnigy lipos I'm getting 4 to 5 Min flight times!!!!!

Every day at my flying field at Markham park Florida someone compliments or approaches me about the jet even the Turbine guys ask about it!

What makes this the best EDF ever is the efficiency, reliability and pure aerobatic ability to do any kind of move possible, will knife edge, roll, invert, and even float! The power is excellent with the possibility to reach 1000 ft vertically all stock! With meter reading 30 percent left on Lipo's!!!

Flight time, durability, scale looks, power, this is truly the greatest EDF ever assembled! Thank you Motion RC and Freewing for such an outstanding product!!!!

Below are some pics pics of my Mods including panel lines, cockpit mod, and lights during evening flights (which are amazing to see lit up)

Great report! PICS.. Don't Tease!! :-)
    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Jay and we are so happy that you love your F-14! We are very proud of that model. Now let's see those pics! :)
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Sorry for delay was trying to send from phone, kind of tough, had to get on iPad to post up pics. As you can see I added the ejection handles with some servo wire, paint and even a throttle stick. I used black construction paper to cover up the heat bubbles inside canopy, painted helmets to Maverick and Goose colors, also painted a seat, and some buttons as seen on scale model, whole canopy mod took just 2 hours. Makes a world of difference. Panel lines were done with crushed graphite chalk and dipped with water, painted with thin brush, then clear acrylic spray to coat (about 1 hour process) gives the Tomcat a world of difference from stock look.

Comment

Sundown evening flights are when this F14 is at its best! The key to night flying is being able to see wings on the aircraft, the nav lights on Tomcat are super bright and very easy to make out, I've once bravely attempted a pitch black night flight safely but that one was a bit scary as I couldn't make out the wings or fuselage well.

Sweep wing flight is much more challenging, must do a mix on radio and disengage the ailerons and fly on elevons, with duel rates mixed in. I love doing swept wing inverted passes, very advanced maneuver but can be done when comfortable with jet.

Comment

Sweet! Nice job!
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Beautiful weathering Brinka! She looks amazing.

Comment

It was great to read your report about the Freewing F-14 Tomcat. Ever since it was released it has interested me because one it was a Tomcat and second it looked to be top quality and looked really scale.
                I have been on the fence about what to get as my 2nd EDF when ever I got to that stage in my piloting skills. But now it my very well be an F-14.
                Great job on the touch ups to make it look even more realistic looking.
                It was also nice to hear you get 4 -5 min flight times out of a Twin 80mm setup. This was one of the things that was kind of shying me away before along with all the negativity from others about twin EDF's. I am all for scale looks and performance. If you cant afford to operate a twin EDF setup than just stick to single EDF's just like you would in real life.

Comment

Hey Jay EDF guy, your F-14 looks fantastic. Can you post some more pics of the weathering detail. Do you " Airbrush" the panel lines.... and then over spray with base color, ala this pre shade technique....??
                  Again love Red and Blue flight helmets!
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Hey guys thank you for the compliments, The weathering was done with a simple thin paint brush by hand, used crushed graphite chalk and dipped it in water, after I cleaned up, sprayed acrylic coat to protect. It was a pretty quick process, I just followed the lines and cleaned up with a paper towel and water. I will take more pics of materials and of Tomcat up close.

Here's a vid of me flying at Markham park Florida, this was filmed a few months back when I was new to the jet so it's more of a tamed flight but has some cool close ups and passes.

Comment

Nice
                      Rotation at 1:04 Wheels down an 5:27 Fantastic Flight! and that's on 2 4000's EPIC! Love the 80mm.
                      Going to be my 50th Birthday present to myself!

Comment

Very nice flight!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

That was awesome, Brinka! Really nice flying. :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                            It was great to read your report about the Freewing F-14 Tomcat. Ever since it was released it has interested me because one it was a Tomcat and second it looked to be top quality and looked really scale.
                            I have been on the fence about what to get as my 2nd EDF when ever I got to that stage in my piloting skills. But now it my very well be an F-14.
                            Great job on the touch ups to make it look even more realistic looking.
                            It was also nice to hear you get 4 -5 min flight times out of a Twin 80mm setup. This was one of the things that was kind of shying me away before along with all the negativity from others about twin EDF's. I am all for scale looks and performance. If you cant afford to operate a twin EDF setup than just stick to single EDF's just like you would in real life.
                            I highly recommend, that 4-5 min flight time is worth it, just make sure you get a 60c Lipo, makes a huge difference, and of course manage your throttle well, (no need to fly at full throttle entire flight) the older crowd at my field appreciate the slow show passes.

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                              Nice
                              Rotation at 1:04 Wheels down an 5:27 Fantastic Flight! and that's on 2 4000's EPIC! Love the 80mm.
                              Going to be my 50th Birthday present to myself!
                              Thank you! This jet won't let you down with the right lipo's! (60c or better I'm using the HK Turnigy Heavy Duty series) Never in my right mind would I imaging so long of a flight from twin EDF's truly outstanding, now I can hang up there with some of the smaller turbine guys who fly 5-6min.

Comment

Such a babe when she's lit up in the early evening hours.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                  X