You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What New FlightlineRC or FreeWing Model would you like to see come next!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are a few reasons why I have become hooked on "big," however, with today's gyros, smaller foamies do fly "bigger." And I love the micros, and I know bigger means more money, but for me the expense is proportional to the enjoyment.

1) You typically get more, and can add more scale detail to a larger plane.
    2) Since the inertia is higher, it does "feel" and fly more like a scale plane. Also, the "speed scale" is more realistic.
    3) Visibility and presence are the biggest factors for me. A high speed pass, T & Gs, everything looks more scale with a bigger wow factor.

This is personal presence of course, and there is a lot to be said about the transportability, expense, and storage of smaller models.

Comment

• Originally posted by DR. Joy View Post

I still think Foil is a MiG 15, 17 or 19. Possibly a MiG 25.
      Lets hope for a 15, 17 or 19. Mig 25 meh.

Comment

• Though, I do love fast jets..

Comment

• Originally posted by tclaridge View Post
          There are a few reasons why I have become hooked on "big," however, with today's gyros, smaller foamies do fly "bigger." And I love the micros, and I know bigger means more money, but for me the expense is proportional to the enjoyment.

1) You typically get more, and can add more scale detail to a larger plane.
          2) Since the inertia is higher, it does "feel" and fly more like a scale plane. Also, the "speed scale" is more realistic.
          3) Visibility and presence are the biggest factors for me. A high speed pass, T & Gs, everything looks more scale with a bigger wow factor.

This is personal presence of course, and there is a lot to be said about the transportability, expense, and storage of smaller models.
          I totally agree with all points here, as I do fly all sizes. Only one big plane though, my T28. My true complaint with the 28 is the expensive 6s packs and having to pull everything off to transport and store it, I even have to pull the tail assembly off every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

I totally agree with all points here, as I do fly all sizes. Only one big plane though, my T28. My true complaint with the 28 is the expensive 6s packs and having to pull everything off to transport and store it, I even have to pull the tail assembly off every time.
            Get a seris adapter and use 2 X 3S in series fr 6S and then yuo have the 3S for the planes that need them and can go 6S.

A single 6S pack tends to have the center cells fail early in higher current applications compared to using the 2 X 3S because the center cells have zero cooling and stay hot a LONG time. Pulling the 3S packs from the model and letting them cool really improved my battery life when I went from a pair of 6S for 12S (5000 watt EDF) to using 4 X 3S. 30 cycles if I was lucky on the pair of 6S... 300+ cycles from the 4X 3S.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• That makes since, I always have wondered about the middle cells in the large packs for that reason. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on mine, and also looking to buy some more 3s for series installation for my s6 planes

Comment

• Originally posted by axerhand1976 View Post
                if no one has a problem with a 2000mm bomber, than I should be able to get a 2000mm zero. really 78inch w/span is not huge unless its a one piece wing.
                A 2000mm B-24 is small comapred to a 2000mm Zero . The size of the Zero will be way bigger then the B-24 , Its also the box size which costs money to ship. There would be no Free shipping

Comment

• Fuselage will be larger cross-section on the 2 meter fighter vs the 2 meter bomber... but 2 meter wingspan is 2 meter wingspan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Why do you folks all ways want the huge planes? Not everybody has the same amount of re$ource$.
                    I understand some may not have resources but as for myself wanting larger jets is im getting older and need something I can see.

Comment

• we like huge planes. also they make what 6 to 7 little planes for every 1 big one so I see you guys are getting more of what you like than us.

Comment

• That's because large planes require so many more resources for the manufacturer as well as the consumer. It becomes not a profitable venture for the company, so that is why very few are made.

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

Get a seris adapter and use 2 X 3S in series fr 6S and then yuo have the 3S for the planes that need them and can go 6S.

A single 6S pack tends to have the center cells fail early in higher current applications compared to using the 2 X 3S because the center cells have zero cooling and stay hot a LONG time. Pulling the 3S packs from the model and letting them cool really improved my battery life when I went from a pair of 6S for 12S (5000 watt EDF) to using 4 X 3S. 30 cycles if I was lucky on the pair of 6S... 300+ cycles from the 4X 3S.
                          What kind of connectors do you like to use for the Series 3S packs. I went with XT150 so that you don't get a small welding spark on a Deans. Although, the XT150 does spark, but it tames the 22.2Volt blast a bit better and it happens inside the connector tube.They are big connectors though. Easy to pull apart, but they do fit good upon assembly....

Comment

• I'm moving to all EC5.

The spark is not really a product of the type connector, its due to the voltage and charging the capacitors in the ESC. The higher the voltage, the larger the gap it can jump and the larger the spark.

With high power systems, you just get the spark. There are tricks for avoiding it but the main one is to QUICKLY make the connection.

Plugging in a 12S (50.4 v at full charge) connection, if you do it slow you can burn large pieces out of the connector.

EC5 2 to 1 Series Adapter from BenchCraft - BCT5061-029 Features: Allows you to connect two batteries to one ESC in series. This will increase the the voltage available to the ESC and motor but will not increase the capacity. For example, you can connect two 3000 mAh 4 cell batteries to an ESC with this adapter and the

Comment

I'm moving to all EC5.

The spark is not really a product of the type connector, its due to the voltage and charging the capacitors in the ESC. The higher the voltage, the larger the gap it can jump and the larger the spark.

With high power systems, you just get the spark. There are tricks for avoiding it but the main one is to QUICKLY make the connection.

Plugging in a 12S (50.4 v at full charge) connection, if you do it slow you can burn large pieces out of the connector.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/ec...series-adapter
                              I use a series resistor to charge the cap bank in this boat. Good connectors are too expensive. This one runs 8S at around 200 amperes. I do not know the actual number of watts but likely around 6000 to 8000. I have almost enough parts to build a 51” catamaran that will run 10S at around 10 kw on a fresh set of batteries. About 12 hp or so if I remember correctly.
                              Last edited by DR. Joy; Jul 25, 2018, 05:50 PM. Reason: Made a calculation error.

Comment

• Nice! Heres my old boat rebuilt to run on 6s.

Comment

• Castle Creations says NOT to use the resistor trick for slowly charging the ESC capacitors as it can confuse the ESC's LVC into thinking you have a lower cell count pack and thus you can end up over-discharging if running to LVC. (it would alter the beep count for Castle ESCs when indicating the number of cells too, so you do get a warning about the confused ESC logic)

Not sure if this applies to all ESC brands.
                                  Pay attention to the ESC's indication of cell count.

Comment

Castle Creations says NOT to use the resistor trick for slowly charging the ESC capacitors as it can confuse the ESC's LVC into thinking you have a lower cell count pack and thus you can end up over-discharging if running to LVC. (it would alter the beep count for Castle ESCs when indicating the number of cells too, so you do get a warning about the confused ESC logic)

Not sure if this applies to all ESC brands.
                                    Pay attention to the ESC's indication of cell count.
                                    They also sell connectors. Never had a problem with doing this way, but, I always use a timer. I do not trust my expensive batteries to an LVC circuit. I do see what you are saying.

Comment

• Besides a 1600mm OV-10 Bronco, I would love a Lockheed 10 Electra or a Beech 18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                                        Besides a 1600mm OV-10 Bronco, I would love a Lockheed 10 Electra or a Beech 18.
                                        Why not a Connie, either Super or ASW.

Comment

• Hey no one would count those out! I'm game for a Connie!

Comment

Working...
                                          X