You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What New FlightlineRC or FreeWing Model would you like to see come next!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new alternative to scratch building is 3D printing. Yes, it is now possible to 3D print a whole RC plane in sections that will actually fly. You just need a 3D printer and the 3D code file. Then you glue the sections together.
    There are already a few airplane file models available for purchase and download. That can be found here: https://3dlabprint.com/shop/
    I have also seen that it is possible to make your own 3D files. This might just be the best way to get that unicorn model everyone has on their list that other wise would never get made my a major manufacture because of low interest or complexity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evoman View Post
      Another new alternative to scratch building is 3D printing. Yes, it is now possible to 3D print a whole RC plane in sections that will actually fly. You just need a 3D printer and the 3D code file. Then you glue the sections together.
      There are already a few airplane file models available for purchase and download. That can be found here: https://3dlabprint.com/shop/
      I have also seen that it is possible to make your own 3D files. This might just be the best way to get that unicorn model everyone has on their list that other wise would never get made my a major manufacture because of low interest or complexity.

Consider my mind BLOWN! I always thought it would be like trying to make a Revell model that flew!

Comment

• I read some where on here that if Freewing doesn't come out with an F/A 18 Super hornet soon that they were going to purchase the FMS model. I just wanted to say that I'm feeling the same way on this issue. I'm thinking of just buying the FMS F/A 18 and paint it up to match the blue Angels theme jets. It looks like Freewing is sitting on their hands instead of producing quality jets. Then the ones they do produce are like WTF? Why would you produce some of these jets? Seriously have you looked at some of their jets? There's maybe only a handful that are worth purchasing. Who makes these decisions in corporate for production? Somebody needs to reevaluate this persons credentials and knowledge on producing warbirds and military jets.... Ok rant over!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rougarou69 View Post
          I read some where on here that if Freewing doesn't come out with an F/A 18 Super hornet soon that they were going to purchase the FMS model. I just wanted to say that I'm feeling the same way on this issue. I'm thinking of just buying the FMS F/A 18 and paint it up to match the blue Angels theme jets. It looks like Freewing is sitting on their hands instead of producing quality jets. Then the ones they do produce are like WTF? Why would you produce some of these jets? Seriously have you looked at some of their jets? There's maybe only a handful that are worth purchasing. Who makes these decisions in corporate for production? Somebody needs to reevaluate this persons credentials and knowledge on producing warbirds and military jets.... Ok rant over!
          I think we know that you want the F/A-18 since you've made 5 posts(# 927, 984, 1921, 1038 and 1066) on this thread about it out of the total of 9 total since joining this month.
          This is all well and good but then to go off on a rant about someone that the majority of us on this forum have known as probably the best advocate of new product development bar bone is a little bit of an affront to me and maybe others.
          Since you obviously don't know that Alpha Enos is the person you speculate of, let me just say that he probably is the best thing that could have ever happened in the last 4 years for us that crave diversity and scale appeal of prop and jet warbirds. :Straight-Face:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• If I can't express my thoughts on the subject matter, then what good is this forum for? As for going off on a rant about a certain individual; if that's what you got out of my post, then apparently you misinterpreted what I wrote. I was only agreeing with what he said. As for the subject matter of this heading goes, it states, what new flightline rc or freewing model you would like to see come next. Now my interpretation of that means exactly what it says and if I want to post it 100 times, then that's what I'll do. Second thing, what business is it of yours how long I've been a member here? That shouldn't matter to you or anyone else or carry any weight on here at all. If you would like to know, I'll tell you that I've just recently gotten into edfs. I've been flying nitro/gas planes for quite awhile now and decided to give edfs a try, so that's why I'm here. Now if there's any other matter you would like me to clear up, please ask because I'd hate for you to get butt hurt over a simple post! Oh and have a nice day....

Comment

Another new alternative to scratch building is 3D printing. Yes, it is now possible to 3D print a whole RC plane in sections that will actually fly. You just need a 3D printer and the 3D code file. Then you glue the sections together.

This is a cool thing for sure. I'm working on an F-100 Right now, lots of work, slow going for now. But once I get the design tool down, I suspect they will go much faster. This 3D printing thing is going to change everything, literally. I've been studying a bit, (few hours every day). I'm thinking it would be possible to print a foam like form, with a nice thin non foam like plastic outer layer. Not sure exactly how just yet.

This tech is going to change the RC world! it's already beginning. We're already 3D printing lots of little components for our existing planes. Next logical step, is printing planes.

Best Regards
              Woody

Comment

I read some where on here that if Freewing doesn't come out with an F/A 18 Super hornet soon that they were going to purchase the FMS model. I just wanted to say that I'm feeling the same way on this issue. I'm thinking of just buying the FMS F/A 18 and paint it up to match the blue Angels theme jets. It looks like Freewing is sitting on their hands instead of producing quality jets. Then the ones they do produce are like WTF? Why would you produce some of these jets? Seriously have you looked at some of their jets? There's maybe only a handful that are worth purchasing. Who makes these decisions in corporate for production? Somebody needs to reevaluate this persons credentials and knowledge on producing warbirds and military jets.... Ok rant over!
                Can you tell me which Freewing jets you do like and which you think were a bad decision to produce? Just trying to get a feel for your thoughts on the lineup.

Comment

And here is another example, an 1.8M EL-39 for a 120mm EDF.

I personally have been investing a bunch of time lately designing my own "unicorn" model of a 2 meter A330-300. Aiming to have it flying by late spring. Depending on the success of this project, I have plans to make several more EDF and prop planes

Comment

Judging by what I have seen there is a good chance that a new F/A-18 may already be in the pipeline.
                    1. There have been a lot of people on here expressing that they would like to have an F/A-18 for sometime but that they did not like the look and some of the features of the 90mm FW model.
                    2. That old FW 90mm F/A-18 has since been discontinued
                    So if the demand is obviously there but the old model was not selling then I am sure FW noticed and took action to either make revisions and produce a V3 model or design an all new one.
                    If they decided to scrap the old model and go with and all new design then it is just going to take time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post

And here is another example, an 1.8M EL-39 for a 120mm EDF.

I personally have been investing a bunch of time lately designing my own "unicorn" model of a 2 meter A330-300. Aiming to have it flying by late spring. Depending on the success of this project, I have plans to make several more EDF and prop planes
                      That model is larger than what I thought it would be possible to make using 3D printing! It looks like the project has worked out well and it is flying great!

Comment

• juste un p51 d ou c (ou les deux) en 1600 d envergure comme le f4u et le spitfire

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

This is a cool thing for sure. I'm working on an F-100 Right now, lots of work, slow going for now. But once I get the design tool down, I suspect they will go much faster. This 3D printing thing is going to change everything, literally. I've been studying a bit, (few hours every day). I'm thinking it would be possible to print a foam like form, with a nice thin non foam like plastic outer layer. Not sure exactly how just yet.

This tech is going to change the RC world! it's already beginning. We're already 3D printing lots of little components for our existing planes. Next logical step, is printing planes.

Best Regards
                          Woody
                          I totally agree with you. 3D printing will defiantly have an impact in RC airplanes. So far it is still in its infancy just because of the current materials available that are not the most ideal for absorbing impacts. However it is still a great method to produce a working prototype. Then once you got that you can explore other materials to make it more durable such as fiber glass or carbon fiber that can be laid on the plastic.
                          It would be cool to see a 3D printed F-100. What size EDF are you planning on using?

Here is another great video of how to make a 3D model. It has some good pointers even if you are using different software.

Comment

I totally agree with you. 3D printing will defiantly have an impact in RC airplanes. So far it is still in its infancy just because of the current materials available that are not the most ideal for absorbing impacts. However it is still a great method to produce a working prototype. Then once you got that you can explore other materials to make it more durable such as fiber glass or carbon fiber that can be laid on the plastic.
                            I've printed PLA planes and flown the 3DLabPrint MiG-15, and they do not hold up well to rough landing or hangar-rash/dings. On my A333, I decided to go with ABS and 2-perimeter outer shells. These parts are very durable (ding resistant, accidental drops) and are easy to glue back together. I have also experimented with adding carbon rods to the inside, and light fiberglass on the surface. The great thing about ABS is that acetone acts as a glue and can be used to wet down fiberglass cloth without the need for WBPU or epoxy. This is a great way to add considerable strength at a minor weight increase.

Here is an example of a horizontal stabilizer that had 1/4oz cloth added to both the top and bottom. Original part held ~28lbs before breaking, after printing another one and adding the glass cloth, the weight only increased 2g and the strength increased by 50%, and held 42lbs.

Comment

• I'm planning a 90mm EDF for the F-100.

Ya know this is all really super cool! Probably should head back over to our 3D print thread yea!

By the way, I would still love an 80mm A-7 Corsair II. : )

Best Regards
                              Woody

PS, Oh Yea, this is way cool!

Comment

• I find what you are posting interesting since I buy every FW EDF that comes out and love them. So, out of curiosity, what EDFs have you purchased or are thinking of?

Originally posted by Rougarou69 View Post
                                If I can't express my thoughts on the subject matter, then what good is this forum for? As for going off on a rant about a certain individual; if that's what you got out of my post, then apparently you misinterpreted what I wrote. I was only agreeing with what he said. As for the subject matter of this heading goes, it states, what new flightline rc or freewing model you would like to see come next. Now my interpretation of that means exactly what it says and if I want to post it 100 times, then that's what I'll do. Second thing, what business is it of yours how long I've been a member here? That shouldn't matter to you or anyone else or carry any weight on here at all. If you would like to know, I'll tell you that I've just recently gotten into edfs. I've been flying nitro/gas planes for quite awhile now and decided to give edfs a try, so that's why I'm here. Now if there's any other matter you would like me to clear up, please ask because I'd hate for you to get butt hurt over a simple post! Oh and have a nice day....

Comment

• Same here. Have every one of them....
                                  :Straight-Face:

Comment

• Now that the financial paperweight has been removed, the pricing of these planes aren't so much the problem as storage space is. So for the jets im still limited to 80mm or smaller. And 1600mm or smaller in prop craft. :(

Comment

• There are several other FW EDFs I'd like to get, but they just won't work well for grass ops:(

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                        There are several other FW EDFs I'd like to get, but they just won't work well for grass ops:(
                                        A nice paved runway isn't always a blessing. I fly from one, unfortunately, it's got high trees on the sides and heavy brush on the flyover ends.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

A nice paved runway isn't always a blessing. I fly from one, unfortunately, it's got high trees on the sides and heavy brush on the flyover ends.
                                          Some birds can be a real hand full on paved runways too. Best to just be thankfull we've got a place to fly. :Cool::)

Comment

Working...
                                          X