Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, update on the impact of the led afterburner, as vdanger said it takes a bit of performance of the edf, my guess is about 10%. Still had a good flight.
    That 10% loss together with the fact you see little of the afterburner made me take the led out. I might try a smaller on on the backend of the funnel......

Comment

• While afterburners look cool this jet did not have one

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
        While afterburners look cool this jet did not have one
        Very true, I still like the concept though. Now trying a 50mm at the end of the exhaust. Should not impede any airflow as the pipe is 50mm in diameter...

Comment

• I ordered the upgraded landing gear from rc-castle. Perfect fit and what a big improvement. The original was not bad at all but these are just so forgiving on the landing!

Comment

• Hi everyone.. a new Freewing Hawk T1 owner myself now.. going to be my trainer EDF before getting into larger jets..

Question regarding elevator settings.. In the promo video Motion RC mentions they use high rates (so 25mm) and low rates on everything else.. well on my elevator I don't get more UP than just low rates out of the servo (22mm). Elevator down even 20% less otherwise it will hit the body. I have setup the pushrods as stated in the manual.. So what's everyone's else experience with these settings?

I'd appreciate your feedback before my first flight..

Comment

• Red color for BAE Hawk

Hi - I would need to re-paint some damages of my Hawk. Can you please let me know what kind of color has been used and where I can get some please? The RC Motion website does not list any info.

BR, Harald

Comment

• Hi people. After a while sitting in my hangar, I started to fly the Bae Red Hawk 70mm T1. I am having a lot of problems with the steering, and I would like some on to give me some clue on what's wrong with it. Running in the tarmac runway, at low or medium speed, everything works just fine, but when going closer to take-off speed, I have no control on the steering. Kind of the plane drives like a crazy squirrel. I do the take-off run at low rate in the steering, which is set with 32% expo, 10% throw. One thing that y noticed is that the nose wheel has (what I think) too much free movement. Therefore, the question is, if this is normal, or I have some issue either with the pin or the hub of the retract. Help, please!

Comment

• Originally posted by Richrfl View Post
                  Hi people. After a while sitting in my hangar, I started to fly the Bae Red Hawk 70mm T1. I am having a lot of problems with the steering, and I would like some on to give me some clue on what's wrong with it. Running in the tarmac runway, at low or medium speed, everything works just fine, but when going closer to take-off speed, I have no control on the steering. Kind of the plane drives like a crazy squirrel. I do the take-off run at low rate in the steering, which is set with 32% expo, 10% throw. One thing that y noticed is that the nose wheel has (what I think) too much free movement. Therefore, the question is, if this is normal, or I have some issue either with the pin or the hub of the retract. Help, please!
                  I have this same plane and so far I have yet to have any issues.

Are you running the wire type struts or the improved set?

Can you turn the wheel/strut by hand?

Are any other control surfaces/servos acting strange?

So, I would suggest to start with, remove the strut completely from the fuse. Inspect and tighten EVERY set screw on it and on the servo. if they all are tight then you can pretty much eliminate that as the possible culprit. Now, with the strut still removed BUT PLUGGED in, get someone to hold the plane for you (upside-down in a cradle if you have it, it needs to be secure and preferably outside), run it up to full speed gradually and cycle the strut. Do this under several different speed settings. Essentially just replicate the problem on takeoffs but on your workbench. If it appears to be working fine, re-install the strut back in the plane and repeat this process. Whatever the problem is, it should show up more than likely under these tests. Check your linkage really good with the strut extended AND retracted. Make sure there is no binding anywhere. If you still find nothing wrong, I am pretty much at a loss other than you could possibly having a defective strut. One other tip, start over from scratch and run down every servo lead, connection, and check your receiver. Part of me wants to think you could have some kind of radio/servo, receiver glitch although I really doubt it. I know some of this is overkill but, the best way to find a problem from my experience is to start from scratch just as if you were putting it together out of the box.

I have had problems similar to this and most every time something was getting in a bind or poor electrical connection. I am currently dealing with the same problem with my Rebel right now. However, after all my testing, it was determined the internal motor gear in the strut was sticking.

EAA# 1366802
                  AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Hi people. After a while sitting in my hangar, I started to fly the Bae Red Hawk 70mm T1. I am having a lot of problems with the steering, and I would like some on to give me some clue on what's wrong with it. Running in the tarmac runway, at low or medium speed, everything works just fine, but when going closer to take-off speed, I have no control on the steering. Kind of the plane drives like a crazy squirrel. I do the take-off run at low rate in the steering, which is set with 32% expo, 10% throw. One thing that y noticed is that the nose wheel has (what I think) too much free movement. Therefore, the question is, if this is normal, or I have some issue either with the pin or the hub of the retract. Help, please!
                    Are your mains loose or sloppy in any way?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Are your mains loose or sloppy in any way?
                      That was the first thing I look after. All set screws with blue thread lock. After fixing this part, and still having funny steering, I start focusing on the nose wheel.

Comment

That was the first thing I look after. All set screws with blue thread lock. After fixing this part, and still having funny steering, I start focusing on the nose wheel.
                        Do you use any expo on rudder to help smooth the travel out around center?

Comment

• Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

I have this same plane and so far I have yet to have any issues.

Are you running the wire type struts or the improved set?

Can you turn the wheel/strut by hand?

Are any other control surfaces/servos acting strange?

So, I would suggest to start with, remove the strut completely from the fuse. Inspect and tighten EVERY set screw on it and on the servo. if they all are tight then you can pretty much eliminate that as the possible culprit. Now, with the strut still removed BUT PLUGGED in, get someone to hold the plane for you (upside-down in a cradle if you have it, it needs to be secure and preferably outside), run it up to full speed gradually and cycle the strut. Do this under several different speed settings. Essentially just replicate the problem on takeoffs but on your workbench. If it appears to be working fine, re-install the strut back in the plane and repeat this process. Whatever the problem is, it should show up more than likely under these tests. Check your linkage really good with the strut extended AND retracted. Make sure there is no binding anywhere. If you still find nothing wrong, I am pretty much at a loss other than you could possibly having a defective strut. One other tip, start over from scratch and run down every servo lead, connection, and check your receiver. Part of me wants to think you could have some kind of radio/servo, receiver glitch although I really doubt it. I know some of this is overkill but, the best way to find a problem from my experience is to start from scratch just as if you were putting it together out of the box.

I have had problems similar to this and every time something was getting in a bind or poor electrical connection. I am currently dealing with the same problem with my Rebel right now. After all my testing, it was determined the internal motor gear in the strut was sticking.
                          Answering your questions:
                          I am running the improved set, which I assume is the optional with "oleo" struts.
                          I cannot turn the wheel, in the sense of moving the steering arm, but given that what I assume the pin (or strut shaft) with too much tolerance to the hub hole, there is some small "steering" movement when you try to hand turn it.
                          All other surfaces/servos (including the steering) and not acting funny.

I agree with your suggestion. However, after verifying that the shaft has a tight adjustment to the retract hub, I will reinstall the original wire strut, and if this fails again, I will go into your procedure.
                          On the other hand, I have no issues with binding. I know that some transmitter brand is a permanent binding pain in the neck, but not mine. Not a single issue in 8 years, in 5 different models.
                          Wiring may be an issue. Unfortunately, the quality of the connectors some times are not as expected them to be. Anyway, all your suggestions are good, and I appreciate your response. Will report after the problem is fixed and which was the culprit.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Do you use any expo on rudder to help smooth the travel out around center?
                            Yes, I am using 32%

Comment

Answering your questions:
                              I am running the improved set, which I assume is the optional with "oleo" struts.
                              I cannot turn the wheel, in the sense of moving the steering arm, but given that what I assume the pin (or strut shaft) with too much tolerance to the hub hole, there is some small "steering" movement when you try to hand turn it.
                              All other surfaces/servos (including the steering) and not acting funny.

I agree with your suggestion. However, after verifying that the shaft has a tight adjustment to the retract hub, I will reinstall the original wire strut, and if this fails again, I will go into your procedure.
                              On the other hand, I have no issues with binding. I know that some transmitter brand is a permanent binding pain in the neck, but not mine. Not a single issue in 8 years, in 5 different models.
                              Wiring may be an issue. Unfortunately, the quality of the connectors some times are not as expected them to be. Anyway, all your suggestions are good, and I appreciate your response. Will report after the problem is fixed and which was the culprit.
                              No worries, I hope you can find the problem. It's sad the guys who make these things cannot close in on their tolerances. I have a new nose retracts at home that is so sloppy it is embarrassing to me and I didn't eve make it, LOL.

EAA# 1366802
                              AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

• This was one of a bunch of great flights with a smooth landing I have had this week. This is one of the must haves if you like to fly EDF Jets!

Comment

• Why would captain mike say to not use any slow down feature on flaps in the video ?

Comment

• I finally maidened my Freewing Bae Hawk t1a.
                                    First Flight, I had the battery to far forward, and consequently it was, let's just say, ...a fast flight. I landed okay, no scuffs, no incidents, but it being my first jet EDF flight (as I am a World War II warbird flyer,) I was a little bit uneasy.
                                    A few days later, I dialed down the rates a little bit on the ailerons and added to tad more expo. I also moved the battery back (aft) about three quarters of an inch.
                                    Flights 2, 3, and 4 have been spectacular. I now feel confidence in flying jets and I'm ready to move up to my other jet birds that I have in my hangar. Thank you motion RC in Freewing!!!!!

Comment

• I love all of my RC Jets, but this is by far and away the best IMO! The lights and great flight characteristics make it the one I am least nervous to have fun with every time!

Comment

• just put my second one together, ive given it a coat of gloss varnish, just to make it shine like the full size ones do
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                          X