X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather storge for epo

Living in Wisconsin I need to store some of my planes in a non heated building. Does this affect the epo structurally at all?
    AMA 1102566

Cold is not a problem.

Hot can be.The foam tends to droop from its own weight when it gets hot. That leads to warped wings and tail-planes.
    It can be corrected by blocking the wings and tail-planes back straight, then leaving them in the same hot place.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

If you intend to store models in a cold atmosphere, make sure it is dry. The electronics can be a problem if they get damp or wet and if they do make sure you dry everything properly before connecting to power.

Martin.

Comment

Sounds good fellas. Its dry up here no doubt ;) yeah all my esc and rx are removed motors etc. Just the servos are left and lg
        AMA 1102566

Comment

I've stored some of mine in the garage all year round so heat and cold year in and year out, now I have a well ventilated shed that seems cooler in the summer compared to the garage and winter is a big question mark at the moment..the only thing I have thought of doing is covering them up with an old blanket to help with any moist conditions but it's Ohio and it's winter, it's either snowy or just dry cold..and flying is not an option during those months for the most part.
          Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat View Post
            I've stored some of mine in the garage all year round so heat and cold year in and year out, now I have a well ventilated shed that seems cooler in the summer compared to the garage and winter is a big question mark at the moment..the only thing I have thought of doing is covering them up with an old blanket to help with any moist conditions but it's Ohio and it's winter, it's either snowy or just dry cold..and flying is not an option during those months for the most part.
            Same Northern Wi
            AMA 1102566

Comment

We have to deal with higher temperatures in Texas...
              it gets over 120 F in the garage. It can get over 190 F in a car that isn't in the shade. You can bake cookies on your dashboard some days.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

For condensation issues, you can seal planes in a plastic bag during a dry day when the temps get cooler, and place some dessicant bags in the electronics compartments.

Mechanically, glues and epoxies can get brittle in extreme cold. Along with any foam contraction, this could affect the glue joints.

Comment

Since I live in upstate NY and store some of my larger birds in the unheated garage, here's what I know.
                  The majority of adhesives used in modeling such as Epoxies, Cyanoacrylate - CA and Polyurethane based Gorilla have a long term low temp service range of -10F to -60F.
                  Aliphatic Resin - Yellow/Carpenter glues and Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate - Hot Glue both have less tolerant long term low/high temp ranges which makes them a lesser choice as an adhesive altogether.
                  So unless you live in the Artic regions, long term exterior storage is not really a concern.
                  Condensation issues are again a moot issue in cold weather climates.
                  If your plane during the warmer weather is subjected to humidity levels above 60 percent and is not affected, then the humidities with the lower temps are generally below that.
                  The only thing that I have seen affected by cold temps is some vinyl decals like to de-bond and or shrink. Usually the ones that have been pressed into a depression area.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Professor Warbird reports from Ice Station Owego. Always welcome out here Charlie :Cool:. Had our first frost last night though man..:saywha

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                      Since I live in upstate NY and store some of my larger birds in the unheated garage, here's what I know.
                      The majority of adhesives used in modeling such as Epoxies, Cyanoacrylate - CA and Polyurethane based Gorilla have a long term low temp service range of -10F to -60F.
                      Aliphatic Resin - Yellow/Carpenter glues and Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate - Hot Glue both have less tolerant long term low/high temp ranges which makes them a lesser choice as an adhesive altogether.
                      So unless you live in the Artic regions, long term exterior storage is not really a concern.
                      Condensation issues are again a moot issue in cold weather climates.
                      If your plane during the warmer weather is subjected to humidity levels above 60 percent and is not affected, then the humidities with the lower temps are generally below that.
                      The only thing that I have seen affected by cold temps is some vinyl decals like to de-bond and or shrink. Usually the ones that have been pressed into a depression area.
                      Good to know. It gets to -20-30 here yearly so its good to know.
                      AMA 1102566

Comment

Working...
                      X