X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workbench

I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I don't see another which better fits my question. Since the wife says NO to the kitchen table, I'm looking for a commercially available workbench to assemble/repair foam 1200-1600mm PNP/BNF planes, charge batteries, etc. No interest in DIY - I don't want to spend my available time building a workbench. Thanks for any recommendations.

Don't know what your price range is so here's two options.
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks Warbird. Around $250 is my max. Of the 2 options you suggested it seems to me that the pegboard back on the US General would interfere with assembling and installing wings to fuselage. The Windsor Design looks to be the better bet, although the 20" depth is a bit small but probably doable. 28" or so would be better

Comment

I bought a couple of collapsable 30 inch by 96 inch tables that fold in the middle for convenient storage. They have metal legs and a tough vinyl/plastic top. They were bout $90 each at Canadian Tire in Canada. You could likely find the same thing in the US in Walmart or some place similar for less money as we pay more for everything in Canada with our weak dollar.
        I have also used our full sized ping pong table for assembling large planes.

Best of luck (Specially with the wife) She'll come around when she sees how happy you are with your hobby.

Comment

A solid core door blank and a pair of 2 drawer file cabinets.

Pull the drawers out f the file cabinets and screw the cabinets to the door. (then put the drawers back)

This makes a very stable workbench.

A "masonite" faced door blank is cheap and will be true and flat. You can pull it out of being true by not supporting it level so you want to shim under the file cabinets to level the workbench.

I use spray adhesive and glue 1/2 inch pink building foam sheet to the door so I can stick in pins and so forth. When it wears out it comes off pretty easy if you spray just the door, let it get tacky then put the foam on. One sheet of pink foam will often last several years of building balsa models from kits (old 1960's era kits where you are really doing a lot of cutting and pinning pieces in place).

This also makes a good computer desk.

The hole for the doorknob is optional. Its really handy for running electric cords down to the outlet if the workbench is against a wall.
          I have a 48 inch X 80 inch door core (special order and still was cheaper than a pre-hung standard 30 inch interior door+ frame) for doing my larger models and a 24 x 76 inch door.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
          X