You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your 3 favorite planes in your hangar?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

I would recommend you look at HSDGO.com, or General Hobbies. General Hobbies is kind of a clearing house for models. Some times the deals are too go to be true. Case in point, I also purchased a PNP 90mm Viper Pro, Ferrari Paint job, (this is a very seriously nice plane). HSD sells them for about $450, I picked this one up at general hobbies for $290. One thing though GH is not the coolest place to purchase a plane from. You can get your plane, but support is non existent. So always keep in mind your giving up something to get these great deals. You will see a bunch of, "KIT" type planes at both HSDGO.com, and General Hobbies. Hobbyking also has a tone of them, as well as Motion I think has some. This is a very expensive way to finish a model. I just get the PNP's and do a ton of testing, repairing, and mods as needed. All models need it, some more than others. But ya can save a ton of money. Chip, this is the honest truth. Other than Dynam Retracts, I have not had a single failure in any stock PNP equipment. I hear and read about it all the time here on the forum. I got about 32 models to date. Something to consider.

Woody

One last thin Chip, Motion has always been my preferred place to do business. Yea I know I've been bit..ing and moaning lately. I like them because I can always depend on there support and good service. I always stop and consider the ramifications of ordering a cheep plane. But if it boils down to a risk I'm willing to take, I'll pull the trigger. W
    Thanks, I guess I am spoiled by MotionRC and afraid of purchasing any place other than them HH, AM, and TWR

Comment

Ya know ya got to go with who you trust mate. I can say this I've bought 3 Planes from HSDGO, and all have been excellent. No they are not anywhere near MRC for customer service! The customer service just isn't there. But the planes were awesome. That new Viper being offered by Horizon is pretty tempting. I like it! But if this is your very first EDF I think the Freewing Bae Hawk is a great looking plane. It's on my short list. To me it sounds really good, and looks great. The flight reviews are really good. Best of luck mate.

Woody

Comment

Flyzone Beaver (off lakes and other water bodies)
        Dynam Corsair (modified)
        Freewing F86 Sabre (Inrunner setup)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          Hey Woody, I haven't seen anyone mention the TopRC 800mm A-1 Skyraider before, but I agree with you it's a fun plane for the price! I prefer flying it to the bigger versions out there, but you're right it does require a bit of "finesse" --to me that's the fun part! It's small enough to detail like a plastic model in the space of an evening, too. I did end up swapping out the ESC, mostly because of the connector.

Have you ever ditched the fixed gear and hand tossed the 75mm Viper? Woot!

And for the record, I don't mind the "bit..ing". 'Makes it fun and everyone knows we truly appreciate hearing everyone's honest thoughts on our honest best. It's how we improve. :)

Thought about it. lol. I've only been back a little less than a year. I put gear on everything, : ) Maybe some day. Guess I just haven't got my hand toss legs yet. But soon, real soon. I love that little A-1. I can stop and fly it almost anywhere. Plus I have never seen another person that has one, at any of my 3 flying fields.

Best Regards
          Woody

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
            Flyzone Beaver (off lakes and other water bodies)
            Dynam Corsair (modified)
            Freewing F86 Sabre (Inrunner setup)
            What kinda mods didja do on the corsair?

Comment

Originally posted by CZ Flyer View Post

What kinda mods didja do on the corsair?
              Sorry for taking so long to get back! I wanted to play with the Dynam Corsair, so, I applied a thin coat of bar-top epoxy to stiffen the foam and reduce gator-skin effect. Epoxy seems to dampen the swelling of foam, although, physics always dictates. The epoxy gives it a nice "wet look" too and darkens the colour. I'm also going to "clip" the wings a little like the RAF did in WW2 to make it less "floaty" on landing, although, on a small model, probably won't make a huge diff. I'm installing an EFlite Power 25,1250kv with an MAS 11x8 or 12x8, 3-bladed prop. A CC-60AMP Talon and a 3800-4400 4S battery. I'm sure it will speed and I'm going to test it out on "private property" to reduce the probability of "innocent bystanders" who could be in harm's way and get more than a "haircut" if this bird goes wonky. I'm sure it's all been done before. Just my own personal buzz....The way things used to be in the 1970's without all the hassles....lol....

Comment

Ok, so there’s four - I just can’t make up my mind which Cub is more fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F0192A5-98B6-4346-8E43-CB67A95FC318.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	153319

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Sorry for taking so long to get back! I wanted to play with the Dynam Corsair, so, I applied a thin coat of bar-top epoxy to stiffen the foam and reduce gator-skin effect. Epoxy seems to dampen the swelling of foam, although, physics always dictates. The epoxy gives it a nice "wet look" too and darkens the colour. I'm also going to "clip" the wings a little like the RAF did in WW2 to make it less "floaty" on landing, although, on a small model, probably won't make a huge diff. I'm installing an EFlite Power 25,1250kv with an MAS 11x8 or 12x8, 3-bladed prop. A CC-60AMP Talon and a 3800-4400 4S battery. I'm sure it will speed and I'm going to test it out on "private property" to reduce the probability of "innocent bystanders" who could be in harm's way and get more than a "haircut" if this bird goes wonky. I'm sure it's all been done before. Just my own personal buzz....The way things used to be in the 1970's without all the hassles....lol....
                  yeah the spots I fly aren't club fields either.. :)

Comment

Tolga
                    Instagram: @_t01ga_
                    YouTube: t01ga

Comment

Yeah man! LOVE the fms P-47! I have 2 corsairs, might as well get a 2nd Razorback! I have the E-flite 1200mm

Comment

That's a good set, t01ga! The T-28 is loads of fun, as is the FMS P-47. It and their updated P-40 are up there in my book. And our Spitfire isn't so bad, either!

I like your flying field, by the way. Short grass and what looks like a wide space. Here at the factories we mostly fly off of narrow unpaved roads, and sometimes off of rooftop. Strange, but true!
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

That's a good set, t01ga! The T-28 is loads of fun, as is the FMS P-47. It and their updated P-40 are up there in my book. And our Spitfire isn't so bad, either!

I like your flying field, by the way. Short grass and what looks like a wide space. Here at the factories we mostly fly off of narrow unpaved roads, and sometimes off of rooftop. Strange, but true!
                          Was thinking the same ... "Putting green grass ! "

Comment

Yeah man! LOVE the fms P-47! I have 2 corsairs, might as well get a 2nd Razorback! I have the E-flite 1200mm
                            You got to man. I got my second one stored in its box untouched. I would do the same for the Spit once it is back in stock. Great planes.
                            Tolga

Comment

These planes, the Jug and the Spit, in my opinion are in the same league and they are the best foamy warbirds currently available. But the CZ T28 is in a different league. Shame it is never gonna be updated. Maybe FL oblige and fill in everything this plane lacked.

Many thanks about the field. It is a lovely location but the strip is not as good as it looks. It has full of rabbit holes lol. But I suppose still better than having to fly off roof tops, lol.
                              Tolga

Comment

These planes, the Jug and the Spit, in my opinion are in the same league and they are the best foamy warbirds currently available. But the CZ T28 is in a different league. Shame it is never gonna be updated. Maybe FL oblige and fill in everything this plane lacked.

Many thanks about the field. It is a lovely location but the strip is not as good as it looks. It has full of rabbit holes lol. But I suppose still better than having to fly off roof tops, lol.
                                Tolga

Comment

With around sixty models each has some aspect I enjoyed or I wouldn’t have purchased them in the first place.
                                  Having a diverse fleet of civilian, military, sport, edf, and speed machines available it’s sometimes hard to decide just what to fly.
                                  Ive gotten away from edf’s due to the high amp draws and short flight times involved. I have no plans to purchase anymore at this point.
                                  I used to pile an assortment into the truck but in the past couple years I have evolved into mood flying based on category. I load and fly what I’m in the mood for that day.
                                  Military is typically the top choice and are always the most pleasing for me to fly and see in flight.
                                  Models I spend the most time building are also top of the heap.

No gyros on any of these...

My giant scale Tiger Moth is a wonderful flyer and it’s the airplane that taught me the most during its build and subsequent test flights n tuning, it flies on 8s.

The FlightLine 1600mm Spitfire that I modified into a Mk VIII

The FlightLine P-38L

HobbyKing B-17F

Mk II Flying Wing based on design features found in the Horten Ho 229. After several months design and test this wing is unmatched in speed and stability. Flying on 4s 5000mAh it rocks at 155mph..., gps data... Another learning curve airframe that I designed and built. There is nothing like it on the market today, it’s incredible.

When you build Giant Scale models the game changes quite a bit. The yank it out of a box and throw it at the sky days are gone as are blaming someone else for shortfalls. My giant scale PC-6 flies on 12s, 150amp, 9hp, 22inch prop, 23lbs. It’s way more like flying a real airplane. The Porter has also schooled me...

I know, it’s six, three that came out of a box and three with extended builds. this winters build is a 1/4 scale Waco...

Click image for larger version  Name:	2CF24310-B48B-4AD3-99BD-64BD58367644.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	352.0 KB ID:	161364Click image for larger version  Name:	7D4ACA29-099A-4CE5-A483-6AF444952BA0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	240.1 KB ID:	161363 Click image for larger version  Name:	750CDD1F-DBB7-49AE-87D6-7D1DCA44B6B3.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	252.6 KB ID:	161366 Click image for larger version  Name:	C8F909DA-BDC6-4490-8BB7-82E531655A56.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	161370 Click image for larger version  Name:	59340940-78EC-4127-82B1-0CA57002EFB2.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	177.1 KB ID:	161373Click image for larger version  Name:	A4AD499B-B2B7-4240-A997-44A768AB05C6.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	255.6 KB ID:	161374

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post

With around sixty models each has some aspect I enjoyed or I wouldn’t have purchased them in the first place.
                                    Having a diverse fleet of civilian, military, sport, edf, and speed machines available it’s sometimes hard to decide just what to fly.
                                    Ive gotten away from edf’s due to the high amp draws and short flight times involved. I have no plans to purchase anymore at this point.
                                    I used to pile an assortment into the truck but in the past couple years I have evolved into mood flying based on category. I load and fly what I’m in the mood for that day.
                                    Military is typically the top choice and are always the most pleasing for me to fly and see in flight.
                                    Models I spend the most time building are also top of the heap.

No gyros on any of these...

My giant scale Tiger Moth is a wonderful flyer and it’s the airplane that taught me the most during its build and subsequent test flights n tuning, it flies on 8s.

The FlightLine 1600mm Spitfire that I modified into a Mk VIII

The FlightLine P-38L

HobbyKing B-17F

Mk II Flying Wing based on design features found in the Horten Ho 229. After several months design and test this wing is unmatched in speed and stability. Flying on 4s 5000mAh it rocks at 155mph..., gps data... Another learning curve airframe that I designed and built. There is nothing like it on the market today, it’s incredible.

When you build Giant Scale models the game changes quite a bit. The yank it out of a box and throw it at the sky days are gone as are blaming someone else for shortfalls. My giant scale PC-6 flies on 12s, 150amp, 9hp, 22inch prop, 23lbs. It’s way more like flying a real airplane. The Porter has also schooled me...

I know, it’s six, three that came out of a box and three with extended builds. this winters build is a 1/4 scale Waco...

Click image for larger version Name:	2CF24310-B48B-4AD3-99BD-64BD58367644.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	352.0 KB ID:	161364Click image for larger version Name:	7D4ACA29-099A-4CE5-A483-6AF444952BA0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	240.1 KB ID:	161363 Click image for larger version Name:	750CDD1F-DBB7-49AE-87D6-7D1DCA44B6B3.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	252.6 KB ID:	161366 Click image for larger version Name:	C8F909DA-BDC6-4490-8BB7-82E531655A56.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	161370 Click image for larger version Name:	59340940-78EC-4127-82B1-0CA57002EFB2.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	177.1 KB ID:	161373Click image for larger version Name:	A4AD499B-B2B7-4240-A997-44A768AB05C6.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	255.6 KB ID:	161374
                                    NICE collection! What props did you upgrade to on the B-17? Might do it for mine..

Comment

Man this is tough...

1. CZ Cessna 150
                                      2. Avios Grand Tundra
                                      3. Freewing Rebel (upgraded to 6s)

Runner up: FMS 1450mm P51 (on 6s as well)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
                                        Man this is tough...

1. CZ Cessna 150
                                        2. Avios Grand Tundra
                                        3. Freewing Rebel (upgraded to 6s)

Runner up: FMS 1450mm P51 (on 6s as well)
                                        Did you change anything on the P-51 to run 6s?

Comment

Did you change anything on the P-51 to run 6s?
                                          Yeah. This motor: https://www.horizonhobby.com/4258-motor-kv550-fmmkv550 and a 100A ESC. It is a pretty common upgrade for this bird and flies exceptional with it done!

Comment

Working...
                                          X