X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why No Post WWII Bombers?

Why are there no mass produced post WWII bombers other than the B-2 and Nice Sky's discontinued XB-70? I've only seen "toy" B-29s and everything else is custom made. Why no Canberra/B-57? Why no B-36
    Peacemaker or TU-95 Bear? And if they can make a B-2, how hard would it be to make it's ancestors, the YB-35 or it's jet version the YB-49?

who knows, maybe thats Project Foil?

Comment

One of the top modern bombers that I have noticed being an interest in these forums for a while has been the B-1 Lancer. This would be one model that Freewing can be assured that it would sell well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	855913.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	150176

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
        One of the top modern bombers that I have noticed being an interest in these forums for a while has been the B-1 Lancer. This would be one model that Freewing can be assured that it would sell well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	855913.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	150176
        And it doesn't have to be four EDFs, just two faked out to look like four the way they do with 64 mm EDFs like the F/A-18. And we all ready have the swing-wing technology with the various sizes of F-17 and Panvia Tornado.

Comment

I personally think that the reason is the stigma attached to them because they carry nuclear weapons, even though other aircraft, such as the A-4, A-6, and A-7 have had that capability as well.

Comment

I would say its because bombers don't really have the same "cool" factor fighters have. They see a bomber and think, well that has about the same excitement factor of nascar. Oh look its another left turn!

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
              I would say its because bombers don't really have the same "cool" factor fighters have. They see a bomber and think, well that has about the same excitement factor of nascar. Oh look its another left turn!
              But still people go to NASCAR, some say looking for the potential carnage involved. And If you've read any of Dale Brown's books, you know that a bomber can be more than just a lumbering beast to rain death from
              above. Which also brings something else to toss into Alpha's pot:

Comment

Question is this, is there enouch people who do think that a about bombers to warrant mass production? Or will it be a highly nichey airframe only a very few will want to buy.

Comment

Question is this, is there enouch people who do think that a about bombers to warrant mass production? Or will it be a highly nichey airframe only a very few will want to buy.
                  One possible "barometer" would be the A-6 sales, since it IS a bomber, and not called "The Ugly" for nothing.

Comment

Maybe, also since they are smaller in size they dont give the bulky feel persona

Comment

If done properly, I don't think a bomber would necessarily be a nichey airframe. Lets face it, there are plenty of fighters on the market. You can get P-51, P-47, P-40, F4u, F6, Zero, Messerschmitt, Folk Wolfs and Spitfires in a multitude of wingspan and power set ups. Now EDF fighters are becoming rather common.

Yet there is never a shortage of people wanting to buy a J3 Cub. Apparently not everyone is looking for another fighter. Don't get me wrong, I have and really like several fighters, prop and EDF, and I get just as excited as the next guy when a new and different fighter hits the market.

But I would be very interested in something like a nice, relatively large B-47, B-57, B-58 or F-111. Perhaps these would fall into the niche category, but easily grass runway friendly would be a few of the Soviet era bombers like the IL-28, Tu-16 or Su-25.

Now that I think about it, maybe I am unknowingly, part of a niche;-)

Comment

I could see a B58 doing well. Just because it is fresh and totally a different animal

Comment

I'd like a bomber of size but prefer a b29 or newer, only room for 1 and she has to handle grass, b1 is a thing of beauty for sure
                          rc flyin addict

Comment

I would love to see some more bombers, a B-29 would be a must have!! For the post WWII era, a B-36, B-52, B-2, or B-1B would all be incredible. The Bone would be especially cool to see, and would need a good set of the RC geek centerburners!

Comment

Maybe, also since they are smaller in size they dont give the bulky feel persona
                              But at the same time they offer obscure WWII bombers and fighters, like the B-26, ME-163, and P-61. And it seems like the F-105 and Lippisch P.15 are selling well.

Comment

Yeah, they might be, but someone with the figures might could give us the yay or nay on that if they truely are selling well or not. And those that are WW2 planes have a bit more selling advantage, as those are in a whole different league due to the historic significance of the war they fought in.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

But at the same time they offer obscure WWII bombers and fighters, like the B-26, ME-163, and P-61. And it seems like the F-105 and Lippisch P.15 are selling well.
                                  The only obscure one in that list is the P.15... which was a concept, never actually made. The rest were famous.

B-26 initially had a reputation as a pilot (and crew) killer.
                                  Army Air Corps called in Bob Hoover to figure out what was going on with the airplane.
                                  Bob promptly after reading the manual did a full load (fuel and bombs) take off on single engine to demonstrate that the take-off crashes were not due to lack of power... but instead due to pilots attempting lift off at B-25 take-off speed, which was inadequate for a B-26. Variants of the B-26/A26 operated in US service throughout the Vietnam War.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

All very true. The b26 was a true beast of a workhorse

Comment

You can bet that all or most of these aircraft are on "The List". As Tom and Alpha have said there is a long list of models they want to produce but are only so many hours in a day and it takes time to bring each new model to market. Who knows. maybe some of these are in the about to be released que?

My personal preference would be prewar fighters (Curtis P-36, Brewster F2A, etc..maybe some biplanes Grumman F3F, etc...) and last generation piston fighters ( (DH103, P-82, Spiteful, F8F, etc..) and first jets (P-80, F-84, FJ-1, Arado234, etc..) . We all have our preferences.

Comment

That would work for me as well

Comment

Working...
                                        X