X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-collision strobe lights?

Can anyone tell me about when strobe lights became common as anti-collision lights on aircraft?

My recent efforts with the usual net search methods have proven mostly fruitless, so I thought Id ask here- When exactly were aircraft anti-collision lights (beyond the red/green wing tip navigation lights and possibly white or red tail light) first used or mandated? If known at all, this could i...

Comment

You could also try contacting a curator at the Smithsonian air and space museum. Part of their job is to answer questions like this. I'm curious too, so please let update us on what you learn

Comment

You won't find that information in an aviation publication. The reason is that the lighting we use in aviation came from ships. It's the same lighting you would find on a boat. And the rules of the road are the same too. The guy on the right has the right of way, etc, etc.
        So, I would assume that lighting on airplanes probably became common somewhere around the 1930's. By WWII things were pretty much set. Warplanes, though, both modern and historic, have a distinct lack of lighting for health reasons.

But I think I missed the original question on strobes. Not sure about those per se. I do know that in some weather conditions, the SOP is to turn off the strobes to avoid cockpit reflections. In the 80's, some planes I flew had strobes. Some did not. By the late 1990's, just about all the birds I saw had strobes. I am not sure if there is any requirement for a strobe.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

There are requirements for strobes... However older aircraft, not OEM equipped to meet them are exempt.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
          X