Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

How many cycles can a Lipo battery take before you replace it

Your mileage will vary based upon how abusive/well you use/maintain them.
    I've seen/heard guys gripe about only getting 20 or so cycles to others that have claimed 300+
    The key indicator for replacement is going to be the IR levels of the cells;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Its 100% how you care for them.

Heat kills LiPos. Over-charging damages them. Over-discharge damages them.

Max life expectancy = store them at 3.7 to 3.8 v/cell in a refrigerator (appx 38 to 40 F) when not in use. Let them warm up to appx 70 F before charging. Don't let them get above 120 F for long, never above 140 F. (that 140F is max temp at end of high demand flight)
      Don't discharge below 3.5v/cell.

If you do that... they will die of old age, not number of cycles.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

+ 1 to what OV10 and fhhuber have said. I will add a couple of comments.

First, start by buying batteries that have a good reputation for quality. It's good for the batteries to be balance charged each time using a good charger. Many of these chargers will tell you the IR(internal resistance) of each cell. IR is an indicator of each cell's health. Charging at 1C i.e. a 5000mah battery charged at 5 amps prolongs the battery life as well.

I typically fly my batteries down to 3.8 volts per cell resting. I use a simple battery checker after each flight that tells me the voltage of each cell. I have several batteries that are 5 years old with hundreds of cycles on them. Some don't have quite the pep they originally had, but they balance well and keep flying.

And.... Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

Comment

I can't say that buying a big name brand of battery makes much if any difference...

I got better results from early Zippy than the Polyquest (one of the best brands of the time) with the Zippy being lower rated...
          I've had dismal results from E-Flite batteries.
          Zippy and Sky LiPo have been very predictable.
          China Hobby batteries have been OK so far

I have a 3S 1800 mah 8C labeled "Mystery" that still can fly a low demand airplane. Its at least 10 years old. It was cheap for the time and would still be competitive priced today at the same price (with average LiPo prices being less than half what they were back then) The pack is almost double the volume and weight of a modern 35C 3S 2200 mah.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
          X