X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is coming

I'm still trying the weather the elements and get some more flights in before winter sets in, but part of me is looking forward to tinkering in the basement this off season.

What projects does everyone have lined up to help with the winter post-season blues?

Also, south and west coasters, easy on the rubbing in of "we don't have an off season......."

My wife and I enjoy building either scratch or kits during the winter months. She's got a Balsa USA Eindeker 40 and a scratch build 1/3 scale El Chuparosa biplane going on her bench. I've got a Balsa USA Taube 90, the new Freewing F-22 and a Freewing Me-262 up next on my bench.

We also use those cold moths to do our maintenance and mods to existing birds. Sometimes Spring comes too quicklyLOL;).

Comment

You said "Winter"! :Straight-Face: Wait! I just said it too!

I will be working on my 1:10 scale F-117 twin 90. I hope to make steady progress on it so that it will be ready for trials in the Spring.

Comment

Big Boy Erector Project. :bluecool
        Gotta get the steel hangar(also known as garage and it gets delivered tomorrow) built and then I can start strategic fleet airframe replacement.:Thinking:
        Don't especially like the idea of handling steel in 30 degree temps but it is what it is :Cold:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yes, Winter is coming. For me, that means flying season! :)
          Pat

Comment

Guess I will jump in too. I've got some surgery to do in swapping motors. New 90mm outrunner in my F4, F4 fan goes into my F15, and F15 inrunner will go into my T45. I'm going to call it, triple open heart surgery. Little tinkerings with some of my new builds involving verifying throws, CG, etc just to make sure they are ready to be scrambled come spring. Of course, the F22 will be on the list as well. And since I can't leave anything stock, I'm planning on adding a few lights on the wings as well as a centerburner, possibly some light weathering. That should keep me relatively busy/entertained. Just hoping there aren't anymore tempting FW edf releases in the off season.

Comment

Easy Pat! LOL

Comment

Expecting some snow already this Friday :(. Havent flown any of my jets in almost 6 weeks and been hoping for a good weekend to clear up from the winds and rains to get a few more flights in on my A-10 and F16 at least.

However I'm taking my new FMS BF109F for some flights tomorrow before work so that should help with some winter blues. Got the maiden done 2 weeks ago but I need some more CG tuning and throws to dial it in (and practice on the TO/Landings)

Projects?
                Well, I'm thinking about selling off my scratchbuilt erj to make room for my 3D printed Airbus A330 and maybe help fund purchasing the F22. I've also been wanting to finally fix up my scratchbuilt A-10 that I belly flopped on a really bad landing attempt last year, but it's hard to get motivated on that since I have the freewing to fly. Might just gut electronics and keep the fuselage for display as I need a complete rebuild of the wings :Confused:.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  Big Boy Erector Project. :bluecool
                  Gotta get the steel hangar(also known as garage and it gets delivered tomorrow) built and then I can start strategic fleet airframe replacement.:Thinking:
                  Don't especially like the idea of handling steel in 30 degree temps but it is what it is :Cold:
                  Hey Warbird get some of those
                  thinsulate lined mechanics gloves you don't lose much dexterity and they keep your hands fairly warm when
                  handling cold objects.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108 View Post

Hey Warbird get some of those
                    thinsulate lined mechanics gloves you don't lose much dexterity and they keep your hands fairly warm when
                    handling cold objects.
                    Already done so Boomer ;)Diabetic neuropathy of my hands n feet still hates the cold even with the best of protection. :blueangry
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hey Guys & Gals, Winter showed up this morning at our house. Pretty neat, though this would be enough for me until Christmas Eve. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	160773
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Ours is coming tonight :(

Comment

Ditto for Chicago.

Comment

Hoping for a leisurely build this winter, gonna do this with EP...
                            Plan to change the trim scheme.

Tower Hobbies carries an expansive collection of RC cars, RC airplanes, RC boats, model trains, sot cars, and supplies for all hobbyists.

Comment

What is all that white stuff on the ground called? :) . We don't even get frost here. We pay for it with heat sufferance though.. :(

Comment

I forced myself out this morning for some flights before work. 20 Deg F made for numb fingers by the 4th flight, even with light gloves and a winter transmitter muff.

The super low sun doesn't help either, but atleast I got some stick time. An hour later my fingers are still cold :Cold:. I need to buy more hand warmers since those work well when put into the transmitter muff.

Comment

I've got some great cold weather fishing gloves that I'm thinking I'll need to try out. Hoping to get out Sunday morning to get my A-10 up before it really gets cold, but we'll see how that feels rolling out of bed at 6a to go out and stand still for 25-20min.....

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Already done so Boomer ;)Diabetic neuropathy of my hands n feet still hates the cold even with the best of protection. :blueangry
                                    I hear that! Have chemo-induced neuropathy in hands n feet as well. Am trying a transmitter "glove" with a few hand warmers thrown in which helps when it's windy for sure!

Even though we can continue flying here, i'm seriously considering new paint schemes for my CZ C-150 and old FMS T-28 V4 this winter. The T-28 probably has 200+ flights and it getting pretty worn out but is still a great flier and the C-150 is just begging for something a bit more pleasing to the eye. Neither will be accurate to any scale reference though. Going to find something totally unrelated to either aircraft and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                                      I've got some great cold weather fishing gloves that I'm thinking I'll need to try out. Hoping to get out Sunday morning to get my A-10 up before it really gets cold, but we'll see how that feels rolling out of bed at 6a to go out and stand still for 25-20min.....
                                      I'm on the fence with getting my hog out this weekend as well. Might try for some sunday flights at FVAC with my A-10 and F16 before we need to worry about accumulated snow cover.

Comment

Hmm, 47° this morning, got up to 74° today. Little to no wind. Perfect weather for our Jet Rally! :)
                                        Pat

Comment

Working...
                                        X