X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well I did it

Well after much debate, research and simulator flying I flew my first flight. I loaded up the FMS 1280 and took to the wild blue yonder. I did my preflight, double checked my CG, set my timer and away I went. Of couse the first throw went 5 ft and hit the ground. I was cheap on the throttle. Second launch was up, up and away. I flew large ovals and tried to mix it up with a few figure 8s. I was blown away on how visable the plane was. I had a few "pucker moments" but as I had read altitude is your friend so I had recovery time. I didnt need much throttle once in the air and never went full. It was breezy with light gusts so I saw how the plane would react but not enough wind to take it out of my hands. One the timer went off I lined it up and took it down. I need to work on that as I came in a bit hot but luckily this was a hay field that wasnt cut yet so no casualties.
    Best of all my nerves and shaking (or shall I say adrenaline) didnt effect my flying. Wonder how long those will last

Next is a few more batteries and hone those fundamental skills. A coworker is a vp with a RC Club. Once im ready I'll join the club and AMA. I will be at the field to help with pylon racing on the 28th.

Yea, I'll admit it, im hooked!
    Off with one helluva roar!
    AMA 1085465

RE: well I did it

Welcome to the wonderful world of rc flying. I've been flying steady for a few years 4 or so all electrics and I still get that feeling when I maiden a new plane or haven't flown for a while. That's part of the excitement of it all. As for pucker moments yea I still get those also.

Comment

Welcome and hope you enjoy this forum.

Comment

Welcome fellow junkie !! You will be up to your eyeballs in planes , batteries, parts and all the things you told yourself you wouldn't do before you know it . Two weeks from now you'll be trying to decide which one do I order next !! We have all done n said it . 
        Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have , we all are more than happy to help if we can . Congratulations on your solo !! Always nice to hear good news . 

Bryan 

P.S. We all still pucker 
        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Congrats on your first flight!!!

The pucker is part of the fun

Comment

Welcome! And congrats on a successful first flight and many more!

And brace yourself and your wallet, because this is a super addicting hobby! and as Bryan said

You will be up to your eyeballs in planes , batteries, parts and all the things you told yourself you wouldn't do before you know it
            Is 100% true, been in the hobby since December and I'm already 5 planes deep in the hangar!

Comment

Originally posted by SOB8604
              Welcome! And congrats on a successful first flight and many more!

And brace yourself and your wallet, because this is a super addicting hobby! and as Bryan said

You will be up to your eyeballs in planes , batteries, parts and all the things you told yourself you wouldn't do before you know it
              Is 100% true, been in the hobby since December and I'm already 5 planes deep in the hangar!
              Every room in my house has planes except the bedroom of course and I am still buying.  There is something about buying a new plane.

Comment

Welcome XF,

If you were a model builder when you were a kid it's the same feeling. You can't wait to get a new kit and open up the box and marvel at all the parts and the challenge ahead of you. The only difference is we get to fly them when we've finished assembling them and were already thinking about our next plane. You've got to love this hobby. Good flying and enjoy!

Roy B.

Comment

Ahh, you've drank from the elixir of The R/C fountain!  Now you are addicted like the rest of us!
                  There's nothing like the realization that, yes, you CAN do it!

Congratulations on your first solo flight

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Greetings XF,

Congratulations!!!! and Welcome to the fold!!!

Ok, as others more than likely told/warned you.... Get ahead of the game and just start clearing space or building an addition now to house the planes you're going to want!!!

Eventually, the monkey we call "building and flying model airplanes" will climb on and he hardly if ever let's go!!!
                    At least not until there's a couple of dozen airplanes of various types appearing around your home.... Which we then affectionately refer to as our Hanger!

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                    In OKla.

Comment

You got it Bill. I am working on my Dynam Spitfire now whenever my hands will let me. Man the battery compartment is too tight in this one. I have to do a little surgery on this one with a very long scalpel, and sharp at that.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome! Second day out wasnt as good. Had to do the walk of shame and put the plane down before I had full pucker! No harm, no fowl but a lesson learned. Getting in conctact with a local club as the field I use has too many passer byes. Im going to be safe and do it right.
                        Off with one helluva roar!
                        AMA 1085465

Comment

Thank in there. It really does get better. I go through this even now. I pick up the pieces, receive my award for best crash and just buy another plane or fix the crashed one if it can be repaired. I enjoy too much to worry about one plane :)

Comment

Greeting XF,

Getting involved with a local club is probably the best move you could make at this point.
                            With help your learning curve will be greatly diminished and the benefits derived from interacting with members will be priceless.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop on your progress.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                            In Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by XF-15DCC
                              Well after much debate, research and simulator flying I flew my first flight. I loaded up the FMS 1280 and took to the wild blue yonder. I did my preflight, double checked my CG, set my timer and away I went. Of couse the first throw went 5 ft and hit the ground. I was cheap on the throttle.  Second launch was up, up and away.  I flew large ovals and tried to mix it up with a few figure 8s. I was blown away on how visable the plane was. I had a few "pucker moments" but as I had read altitude is your friend so I had recovery time. I didnt need much throttle once in the air and never went full. It was breezy with light gusts so I saw how the plane would react but not enough wind to take it out of my hands. One the timer went off I lined it up and took it down. I need to work on that as I came in a bit hot but luckily this was a hay field that wasnt cut yet so no casualties.
                              Best of all my nerves and shaking (or shall I say adrenaline) didnt effect my flying. Wonder how long those will last

Next is a few more batteries and hone those fundamental skills. A coworker is a vp with a RC Club. Once im ready I'll join the club and AMA. I will be at the field to help with pylon racing on the 28th.

Yea, I'll admit it, im hooked!
                              That's a pretty darn good first flight!!!! Congrats!
                              Lauren

Comment

Welcome to the hobby. I am a very sick individual.. I have 46..yes 46 planes in my hanger. Since I can't afford the real ones anymore I fly scale. It's quite a challenge but great fun! I... ( a true loner) even joined the Santa Fe RC club, and glad I did! Great bunch of guys. VERY important.. join the AMA...For the insurance, and their protection of our hobby. Doc

Comment

Holy crap Doc! You're as bad as Bill!!! 46!!
                                  Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
                                    Holy crap Doc! You're as bad as Bill!!! 46!!
                                    I have over 50 and counting!

Comment

Greetings,

He, He, He!!!   :D 

How many equals infinity????

Bill L.
                                      In Okla.

Comment

Hey Lauren,
                                        Compared to Doc, Pheonix and Rocketeer my fleet count is like how you might say ROOKIE at 15. Just glad my flying skills are way above that level.
                                        Hey Bill, working on that infinity number but am quickly running out of hangar space.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                        X