Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Super Scorpion Dorsal Air Brake Mod

Hello everyone,

As you can tell from the title I am in the process of fitting a dorsal air brake to my scorpion. As with any custom mod I am running into an issue, which is basically my fault because I decided to upgrade from a 6ch radio to a 7ch instead of just getting a 8ch. I currently do not have any open channels on my radio, however I do have an open AUX port on my receiver (this is a Spektrum receiver and radio) which I have been unable to mix. I have a few ideas on how to avoid buying a new radio and spending a bunch of money. One idea I have mocked up is using a separate servo tied into the flap system with a crank/turnbuckle that turns the last little bit of stroke from the servo into a big movement and actuates the air brake. I also had an idea for tying in a landing gear door sequencer into the flap port so that once the flaps are down it will activate the air brake servo. Hopefully you all can give some advice on how to make one of these options work. I attached a few pictures of the bird, I repainted it to get rid of the ugly red and white ( no offense if you have one in that scheme I just think its bland). I also have The A3L gyro installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	6518C945-5FC2-4C7A-A031-E608C5C4ACC6.jpeg
Views:	399
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	181436Click image for larger version

Name:	31424E95-E6F5-490F-8165-0CEDA5B29C86.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	181437Click image for larger version

Name:	710F0124-6FD9-4932-8A7E-24A97080F35B.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	181438Click image for larger version

Name:	9A39E4E2-136F-4C3A-ADA1-6B16F03ACB43.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	181439

Hi Reider11, a turnbuckle setup between the flap servo and a dorsal air brake would be difficult to execute based on the geometry at play. And, even if you did have the channels to run a 90mm F-15 air brake actuator, I can actually say from experience (I led Freewing's licensed adaptation of Aviation Design's turbine Super Scorpion) that an air brake won't significantly benefit the Freewing 80mm Super Scorpion. The math just don't pan out as it does on the larger, heavier turbine.

I will say though that your paint scheme is excellent! Easily the sharpest foamie Super Scorpion I've ever seen.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice! I should have gave a touch more detail about the location of the crank setup in the jet, I planed on putting everything just under where the Air Brake would be on the other side of the esc mount. It’s good to hear from someone on the design team for this jet that an Air Brake wouldn’t do much. And thank you for the comment on the paint job it came out better than I imagined!

Comment

Working...
      X