Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stripped out all the parts and servos etc from the wreck, no pics but picture this:
    The spinner was bashed off the nose was caved in and sideways both wings were broken, on main gear was hanging. The wing was caved in at the leading edge on one side, Carbon fiber rods took some damage, the wing was almost twisted off the fuse. From the trailing edge she was okay, the tail feathers survived very well, a couple of stress lines on the vertical and one broken clevis on the elevator. The motor looks to be okay, but I'll bench test it before give it the green light.

I have a new fuse and a set of wings coming as well as a new prop and spinner set, so the outside, minus the tail will be new. I will check out the gear as well before reinstall, but it would seem that they came through fine. Canopy and windshield were fine, so its just a matter of checking everything out.
    Also, this gives me a chance to try something I was originally going to try, and that's covering it in Ultracote. I bought some chrome Ultracote and tried it on a piece of the old wing, looks great!
    So, my plan is to have It ready for NEFI in Muncie in June, we'll see how it goes. Sure makes me feel better to think I can resurrect something out of this.
    "My Little Gal II"

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Wow, Yeah that sounds beyond repair with original parts. I gues you can say when you crash, you do it right and CRASH :D
      I'm glad its not keeping ya down. Good luck with "My Little Gal II"

Comment

• Thanks Cap. I was just saying on another thread last week that I still have all my planes, and then I questioned whether I should even say that, guess I got my answer, SHHHHH!!!
        Hey Cap, you coming to NEFI in Muncie in June, a bunch of us will be there!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Ha! Yeah I remember you saying that and was going to bust your chops a bit, but OV10 beat me to it :D

Seriously thinking of going, but have to see what my schedule is like. Seems work gets in the way of everything!

Comment

• yeah, I hear you. They give you the puppy eyes when you're heading out the door LOL

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Well boys, I'm biting the big one and going to try applying Flite Metal to the resurrection.

I really want that polished chrome look and it would seem to be a great way to go, so we'll see.
              Anyone out there with experience with this product. I watched a few videos on it and it looks pretty simple, if time consuming.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56,
                How shiny do you want the finish? I have some pieces of the Oracal chrome I used on my P-51B laying around. I can send you a sample so you can see if you like it. It is very chrome like, makes a good polished show plane finish.

Jim

Comment

• Thanks Jim. I tried to find the Oracal product you used from the site your provided but I couldn't nail down exactly which product it was, so I went flite metal instead.
                  I am thinking about refinishing Big Beautiful Doll and that might be the route to go for her. That'll be a winter project though. Hang on a bit while I try this stuff out. I tried Ultracote on the horizontal stab, but I really wasn't pleased with all the ironing and the final look. Sticky back products are the way to go on foam from what I can see. I'll drop you a PM, thanks

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, we're off!!! The Flite Metal is going on and I'm about half way there. It looks pretty good considering it a foamy underneath and it is DEFINITELY shiny, and that's before I hit it with the polish. Check out Good Bye to Old Iron Ass to see some pics.
                    Now, if you've been wondering about this stuff, its actually pretty good, if you turn pieces 90 degrees every once in a while it lends to the authenticity, and it is STICKY!
                    No worries about it coming off for sure.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I have finally got a maiden flight on my Pandora! It was a little windy when I finally got to the field but the Pandora seemed to handle the wind well I did several touch and go,s and each landing except one was a smooth landing the bad landing was pilot error :rolleyes:

Comment

• Now the Pandora will sink its teeth in you, "Fly me, fly me!!!" and you will, because she's such a delight. Aw I remember mine when they looked like that.....brings back memories doesn't it guys?

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes it does. Have not go to fly mine yet but the missing parts are on the way. Thanks to Mr Addison. By the way Gman(I hope I'm not being dissrepectable with calling you Gman) I appreciate the offer for sending the propeller bushing but since you said the duobro one's will work I can pick up some at my LHS. I do appreciate it though.
                          Dewey l

Comment

• No problem Dewey, Gman works for me or just plain Dan is fine too
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Got the Flite Metal done on the fuse, put a few decals on, out with the spray gun tomorrow. I'm putting the invasion stripes on her wings for more visibility. I'll get the green and red touched up pretty quick as well. Got the gear and servos in the wings, so its getting close to the time to figure out where the boxes are going. I like the idea of the L/G box on the wing itself as that leaves a minimum amount of wires to come from the fuselage, but then, all the lights are in the wings as well! Decisions decisions..
                              She sure looks good though, I've also tried the rivet wheel and man that made a huge difference in her looks as well!!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Just had to get rid of the last of Old Iron Ass markings, gone is the extra red on the nose and the anti glare shield is OD now as it should be. Yeah, there's only one wing! tomorrow...........

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• She's looking great Gman.
                                  Dewey l

Comment

• Thanks Dewey, check out the rest of the pics on 'Good bye to Old Iron Ass'

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Holy moly that looks good. Better were your shades when you fly her.
                                      Dewey l

Comment

• Hey Guys!
                                        Just got back from Vancouver BC to see the new baby, my first grandson!

So everything went well and the trip. although long, was good.
                                        So now back home and time to get ready for Shawano/Muncie/NEFI
                                        I have the gear sequencer here now as well as the tail numbers, thanks Motion R/C and Callie Graphics, so time to pull the wing and get everything into her, get the tail numbers on and get all the riveting finished, then get her all set for the big trip.
                                        We're bringing the P40, The P51 the Apprentice and the Pitts.
                                        I'm sure looking forward to this and meeting all who show up, should be awesome!!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                          Hey Guys!
                                          Just got back from Vancouver BC to see the new baby, my first grandson!

So everything went well and the trip. although long, was good.
                                          So now back home and time to get ready for Shawano/Muncie/NEFI
                                          I have the gear sequencer here now as well as the tail numbers, thanks Motion R/C and Callie Graphics, so time to pull the wing and get everything into her, get the tail numbers on and get all the riveting finished, then get her all set for the big trip.
                                          We're bringing the P40, The P51 the Apprentice and the Pitts.
                                          I'm sure looking forward to this and meeting all who show up, should be awesome!!

Grossman56
                                          Gman,
                                          So your trip went well back home "aye"? Grandchildren are the greatest!! Looking forward to meeting you in Muncie!!
                                          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Working...
                                          X