Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Amen on the warmer weather.

I'd be willing to bet that Alpha is test flying that prototype 1600mm OV-10 this week :Cool:.
    He crashed it and they cancelled the project due to it's poor handling...:Devil:
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

He crashed it and they cancelled the project due to it's poor handling...:Devil:
      Ka CHOW! LOL

Comment

• Okay guys, did a quick dash to the field before the weather really went sour to get My Little Gal II in the air. For those of you who don't know (there may be one or two out there) The 'My Little Gal' project started last year when Motion announced the end of the Freewing P-51 Iron Ass. My Little Gal I was the result of that, she was stock with some paint work around the nose to remove the Iron Ass decal and install 'My Little Gal; named after my wife. After a great maiden, I dropped the gear on her and lost all control, she smucked into the ground, total write off. After going through all the pieces, I found that the gear door sequencer would blue screen my servo tester, so there was the problem. So now I have all these parts and so 'My Little Gal II' was born. New fuse wings and tail, but this time with Flite Metal!!! Too Cool!!
        Anyway, had Captain Mike maiden her at Nefi last year, because, to be quite honest, I just had too much time and stress invested in her. I was going to get Charlie to do it, but he suggested it would be just too cool to have Captain Mike (The infamous Captain Mike is how we put it!) and so, if you watch the videos from Nefi that Lon and Ben took, you can see it.
        So, this is her first flight since then, but with a new 650 kv motor in her. Realize I've put every good talisman on her that I could think of. She has the wife's nickname, my three daughters first initials for squadron/airplane numbers and our anniversary for a tail number. What more can I do??
        So, like I say, the weather wasn't the best and deteriorating rapidly so one flight and that was it. Here are the pictures...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9503.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	67990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9504.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	67991Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9505.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	67992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9506.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	67993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9507.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	67994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9508.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	67995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9511.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	67996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9512.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	67997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9521.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	67998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9522.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	67999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9523.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	68000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9529.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	68001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9530.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	68002
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Awesome Grossman, that came out sweet! I like that you payed tribute to your other half. I did the same for my wife with my P-38 by going with Irish Angel.

Comment

• And as a finale, here;'s a pic that really describes, flying in Wyoming...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9505.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	68007
            Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Cool Twowing, the least we can do for them since they put up with all our madness!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                Cool Twowing, the least we can do for them since they put up with all our madness!!

Grossman56
                You've got that right.

Comment

• Great story, Großman. Thanks for sharing.

I did something similar on my Ta-152, but not to near the detail that you did. I ordered a Kristy Jane (my wife's name) vinyl decal from Callie, along with the tail swastikas, to look like Barkhorn's 'Chrystl' on his Dora. I scored big points for that, and she now calls the Ta-152 'her plane.' LOL

[edit] Grossman, sorry for Germanizing your name. Autocorrect is responsible. But, I found it kind of funny; so, I didn't correct it. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5113.JPG Views:	1 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	68012
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• Gman.......I was looking very closely at the touchdown pics and I see that you HAVE taken the guidance you received last year at NEFI to earnest action and that was a nice 2 point(the way tail-dragger warbirds should) landing. :Cool:
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Awwww C'mon TI ! ! ! :( I used to like you LOL
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Awwww C'mon TI ! ! ! :( I used to like you LOL
                        It's ok, he said the 2000mm one flys great.
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Gman.......I was looking very closely at the touchdown pics and I see that you HAVE taken the guidance you received last year at NEFI to earnest action and that was a nice 2 point(the way tail-dragger warbirds should) landing. :Cool:
                          You got that right! When guys like you and Mike and Ryan tell me something, Iand go :Cool:!!
                          Fuse level, wings level, flaps at 30 degrees and use throttle to control descent rate. I'm proud to say that by listening, over 90% of my landings are just like that! Such a great feeling!!
                          The funny thing was with Old Crow on Saturday, we had a pretty good headwind to land into. Plunked her down on her mains, let her run off some speed and settled the tail down. She got caught in a gust and decided to do the Stork hop, it was hilarious. I just leveled her off again and let her settle, she was fine, looked funny as hell though!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

It's ok, he said the 2000mm one flys great.
                            OMG........:Whew:I can see it now :Smug: Twin 5060's on 6S and hopefully a single piece Skyraider like 17" (1/6 scale) props :)
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

You got that right! When guys like you and Mike and Ryan tell me something, Iand go :Cool:!!
                              Fuse level, wings level, flaps at 30 degrees and use throttle to control descent rate. I'm proud to say that by listening, over 90% of my landings are just like that! Such a great feeling!!
                              The funny thing was with Old Crow on Saturday, we had a pretty good headwind to land into. Plunked her down on her mains, let her run off some speed and settled the tail down. She got caught in a gust and decided to do the Stork hop, it was hilarious. I just leveled her off again and let her settle, she was fine, looked funny as hell though!

Grossman56
                              Hey Gman, looking good on those landings. Does that mean I don't have to be worried about being buzzed, and scrambling in the pits like last year at NEFI? :)
                              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

OMG........:Whew:I can see it now :Smug: Twin 5060's on 6S and hopefully a single piece Skyraider like 17" (1/6 scale) props :)
                                Take a deep breath... ;)
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Hey Gman, looking good on those landings. Does that mean I don't have to be worried about being buzzed, and scrambling in the pits like last year at NEFI? :)
                                  Lmao... :)

Comment

• Dang Lon, don't give away all the fun!
                                    I don't recall that one, except when the P-40 did a sideways bounce on a touch and go and stood on her nose! That was priceless!!
                                    Took me until September to get her back in the air as there were no spinners in stock.

My favorite one was landing the P-40 near dusk the first night with Charlie, dang thing went below the horizon and the Camo took over, had to pull her up and go around, keeping some altitude just to see her.
                                    Definitely came away a better pilot, I seem to recall an 'interesting' landing involving a certain F-86 driver as well....
                                    LOL!!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Dang Lon, don't give away all the fun!
                                      I don't recall that one, except when the P-40 did a sideways bounce on a touch and go and stood on her nose! That was priceless!!
                                      Took me until September to get her back in the air as there were no spinners in stock.

My favorite one was landing the P-40 near dusk the first night with Charlie, dang thing went below the horizon and the Camo took over, had to pull her up and go around, keeping some altitude just to see her.
                                      Definitely came away a better pilot, I seem to recall an 'interesting' landing involving a certain F-86 driver as well....
                                      LOL!!!

Grossman56
                                      "Interresting?" Heck!!! That ended up being a bouncing betty crash landing!! And I have it on video to prove it!! Let this be a good visual, reminder for when you get your EDF. When landing, get her down and close to touchdown, but keep presure on the up elevator, holding off as long as possible before letting her touchdown, bleed that speed off. Otherwise!!! She'll do a skip/bounce on you, and if you make the wrong correction like i did...well, watch the video. But that F-86 really took that crash landing well. Remind me at NEFI this year, I'll have it along. To look at the scars from that landing. Except for the front landing strut, all parts on this bird are still the originals...300+ flights on this 86.

Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Nice flying tho! Always looks awesome when you can get em nice n close in formation like that. And as anyone who's tried it knows, it's harder than it looks. Bugger of a landing though, it looked so good just before touchdown. :)

Comment

• It was a boost to my fragile male ego to know that flyers, other than just me, have an occasional less-than-perfect landing. :Cool:Seriously, it was a great video. The formation flying was awesome! My friends and I try to fly together in pseudo formation, and it's hard as hell. And, honestly, my respect for good pilots greatly increases when they're willing to show their own mistakes.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X