You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as too many planes?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Is there such a thing as too many planes?

My wife Patti and I recently moved house, in fact it was as recent last week. However at the time we were looking at properties, this was the following criteria. My wife was looking for a house with a garage attached, and I was looking for a workshop with a house attached. I'm happy to say we reached a good compromise. A 3 car garage.

Martin.

Comment

Once our house is finished I will have the same setup as Martin, no more basement but a 3 car garage will suffice. Be a bit hot in the summer but I will manage. Now if I can just keep the Alligator in the pond from eating my new Float Plane I will be Happy!

Comment

My wife came up with the idea of selling everything, buying a motorhome and just traveling around the country. At first I though it was intriguing, but then I thought...what about my 15 planes! So I said "No Way".
        Then I see they do make those r/v's with the area in the back for motorbikes or four wheelers so maybe..........
        Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
          My wife came up with the idea of selling everything, buying a motorhome and just traveling around the country. At first I though it was intriguing, but then I thought...what about my 15 planes! So I said "No Way".
          Then I see they do make those r/v's with the area in the back for motorbikes or four wheelers so maybe..........
          You could always pull an enclosed trailer behind the RV with your planes and other stuff in it. Then when you find a nice open field somewhere along a deserted road...viola, instant flying field! :cool:

Comment

I think the rule is ,Ten planes, that's it..................
            But unlimited projects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Your just begining. My hanger has over 100, I will take inventory at the first of the year.
              C.S.Sylvia
              AMA 16137

Comment

I don't think there ever could be to many planes. The list is long and I'm speaking for all of us.
                Still Learning:D

Comment

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=george+carlin+stuff&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Never ever to many, the problem is as George says making room to buy more stuff aka our RC models...it use to be a whole lot bigger issue with 100 or more kits in boxes and builds in progress and the models were alot bigger most the time. This is one of the things I really enjoy about my foamies. Being in the 1100-1600mm range allows room for even more ! It also now looks like the manufacturers are taking storage and transport into consideration IE: the new 1600mm P-38 with easily removable wings... woohoo...so now I can transport even more eventually. I agree its fun to dust off a older model and fly ...problem now seems to be finding parts to fix the inevitable clumsy thumb or loss of perception.... happy flyn... DJ
                  FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                  DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                  Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                  J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

When I first posted this I think there was around 20-25 planes on my list. Well now, it's up to almost 50! Hopefully it won't grow much more but I can't say it won't. It's nice knowing I'm not the only one with an rc addiction lol

Comment

Current ready to fly fleet of 60 + 20 in the boxes (kits... the ARFs fly within 2 days of arriving at my door), + appx 40 in assorted states of needing repair...

I had the 99 model memory of my Polks Tracker III FULL... I still have 120 72mhz FM RXs. (2 Tracker III's for buddy boxing... need batteries now)

There is no such thing as having too many planes.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I actually thought I had cured myself of TOO many planes. I actually culled out my fleet buy selling two of my less flown planes because they were collecting dust. My wife was so proud that I parted with them.........WELL.....it was actually a short lived withdrawal. I have since then bought 4 more planes that are now in various stages of assembly. So instead of a loss of 2, it turned into a net gain of 2! I'm just a sick person who can't kick the habit.
                        Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by olwarbirds
                          https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=george+carlin+stuff&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Never ever to many, the problem is as George says making room to buy more stuff aka our RC models...it use to be a whole lot bigger issue with 100 or more kits in boxes and builds in progress and the models were alot bigger most the time. This is one of the things I really enjoy about my foamies. Being in the 1100-1600mm range allows room for even more ! It also now looks like the manufacturers are taking storage and transport into consideration IE: the new 1600mm P-38 with easily removable wings... woohoo...so now I can transport even more eventually. I agree its fun to dust off a older model and fly ...problem now seems to be finding parts to fix the inevitable clumsy thumb or loss of perception.... happy flyn... DJ
                          Yup... Parts for older planes is a problem. It forces one to become quite addapt at repairing, modifying, and using alternatives. I've made a habit of doing repairs as soon as I get home from flying. Well...except when I am really disgusted with myself for a stupid mistake. Then I have to get away from it for a while. Doc

Comment

Here is my timeline - I'm bored at work right now so a lot of rambling here.

70s and 80s - Brief interest in planes as a toddler. Had a Mattel business jet with rotating head. The movie 'Airplane' inspired me to want a plastic jumbo jet - just like the big one that
                            ran through the airport terminal.
                            90s - Wanted to become a man and learn how to fix cars. Military recruiting office had an offering for Jet Engine mechanic. That sounded like the next cool thing, so I signed up for
                            the airforce.
                            1998 - After a rough 4 year crash course in the USAF, I got out and got a job at Beech. A friend of mine who also worked at Beech was into RC aircraft. It didn't
                            sound appealing to me at all.
                            I already work on them. Why would I want to build and fly them in 'toy' form. Plus I thought it was silly to potentially watch a bunch of money spent crash into the ground.
                            2014 -Still working at Beech. Hobbies are cartoon animation (Bachelor degree) and Halloween animatronics. Mother has a stroke. I fly down to Maryland and bring her back home
                            where I take care of her for the next four years. It is a lot of WORK and very stressful at times. One day she wanted to shop at Atwoods for Christmas gifts. There was
                            this Syma RC Helicopter w/ gyro which I thought would make a great gift for my son who is stuck on his video games. A month goes by he doesn't touch it. So I said heck
                            with it, I'll try it out myself! Loaded up the batteries and pushed up on the left stick. The helicopter lifted off and hovered ever so beautifully in the air. That did me in.

2015 - Rc Helicopter, Airhogs Jetpack Hero, Hobbyzone Champ, Flyzone P-38, Firebird Stratos, C-147 Paladin
                            2016 - Micro T-28, Micro B-25, Micro P-47, Micro Pitss S-1,Micro B-17, Easysky B-17, FMS Me-109, Hobbyzone Delta Ray Lanyu T-45, Dolphin Jet, Zeta Science Dolphin Jet, Durafly Vampire, Freewing F9F, Micro Habu DF180, hobbyking T-45, starmax He-162, F4d Skyray, hobby people U2, E-flight 777 Airliner, Estes 747 presidential jet,
                            2017 - Freewing F-86, Freewing A-6, Dynam Me-262, Starmax Panther, Jpower screamer, Blitzrc Me-262, Dynam Hellcat, Tian Sheng C-17, E-DO F-4, Venom F-86, ZDFLY f86, Flyfly f100 (x2), airhogs jumbo jet, flyfly f-86, Durafly Sea Vixen, Durafly Me-163, Freewing F-104 Starfighter, electrifly F-20 tigershark, Great Planes Phazer,
                            2018 - Lanyu Do-335, GWS Me-262...Freewing F-5 (swiss) ..

I'm sure there's a few I missed, but this gives you an idea of the progression or how the addiction set in. Taking care of ma also proved to be very time-demanding so I didn't have a lot of freedom. Therefore, with what free time I had, I went to the field and flew. Most of the time, ma was with me.

After she passed last November, I became very grief stricken and my flying has become more and more spread out. Used to be I couldn't go a week without. Now.. it's 2 weeks or more and I'd be fine. I'm not having the 'itch' as I used to. I'm thinking I could get rid of a lot my models and just stick with the preferred 'top 5'. I even started working on cars again, rekindling interest in past hobbies. But suddenly, these past few days... that itch has manifested. So yesterday, I rush out and fly the Vampire. Oh... how beautiful - Screaming low flybys, split s, cuban 8, power off glide...horrible landing. Which made it worse because now I'm fiending to get back at the field to try again. Now there's a few MORE models that I want - like the Freewing F-8 Crusader, Gloster Meteor. augh! See, everytime I think I've had a healthy hiatus and have found balance, I've rebounded with all it's gravity pull back into the hobby again.

Oh, that friend who was an RC plane enthusiast, he told me that 'it was about time!' and welcomed me to the 'sickness'.
                            Thanks. This is THE most addictive hobby on the other side of cocaine/heroine ever.

I'm still thinking I could cut back on a few models though..

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier View Post

You could always pull an enclosed trailer behind the RV with your planes and other stuff in it. Then when you find a nice open field somewhere along a deserted road...viola, instant flying field! :cool:
                              Sounds like a great idea:Cool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_210918837_iOS.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	171709

I can honestly say I don't have a problem with the RC addiction, I have completely given in to it and loving it:Silly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hangar_.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	171710
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

That's quite an impressive collection you have. Do you have any favorites amongst them all?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
                                  That's quite an impressive collection you have. Do you have any favorites amongst them all?
                                  Sure I do, but I'll never let them know that ;)
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

My goodness! Almost time to consider an addition or 2nd floor! Lot's of new toys on the horizon!

Comment

Never enough, when wifie asks how many more planes to we need my answer is always the same "just 1 more" :)
                                      rc flyin addict

Comment

I just got into this hobby, ordered my first plane on January 28, 2019, three more have already been added to my hanger. Pretty addictive stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                                          I just got into this hobby, ordered my first plane on January 28, 2019, three more have already been added to my hanger. Pretty addictive stuff.
                                          You're in good company, Drake! Welcome to the happiest state of madness there is. ;)
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X