Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I made my decision and it’s on its way! I should have it Tuesday which is my Birthday!
    I of course searched and searched on line for the vehicle that fit my criteria, and I came within one hour of settling for one that fell short of that. I was still looking and BAM, someone posted a fresh trade in at a Peoria dealership! Not only was it the vehicle I was searching for with the options I wanted, it is the same color exterior and interior as my first car! My new-to-me transport is officially a classic (man does time fly) and whatever won’t fit in it’s big back end can be trailered, up to 7,000 lbs. It has been fun looking, but I’m so glad I didn’t settle and checked that one last time!

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
      Well I made my decision and it’s on its way! I should have it Tuesday which is my Birthday!
      I of course searched and searched on line for the vehicle that fit my criteria, and I came within one hour of settling for one that fell short of that. I was still looking and BAM, someone posted a fresh trade in at a Peoria dealership! Not only was it the vehicle I was searching for with the options I wanted, it is the same color exterior and interior as my first car! My new-to-me transport is officially a classic (man does time fly) and whatever won’t fit in it’s big back end can be trailered, up to 7,000 lbs. It has been fun looking, but I’m so glad I didn’t settle and checked that one last time!
      Sounds like another Tired Iron paint job could surface...

Comment

It does have OV-10 style sponsons, just needs some mini-guns installed!

Comment

The Yukon is in my final four. It’s also the most expensive. The LS engine. :Drooling:

Can I ask MB what year is yours?
          Yukon has a truck motor. cast iron block. Only LS about is the heads. However they are very easy motors to work on. Mustang guys who wanted to go fast for cheap would get a LQ9 ( Chevy 6.0 Iron block) take the exhaust manfiolds and swap sides. build a turbo kit and throw it in a fox body Mustang. Easy a 11-10 second car with 3k in to it.
          Planes
          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

It is an LS based motor, identical block design cast in iron instead of aluminum and cast iron sleeves. Equipped with an RV cam for more torque the LQ4 and LQ9 are much stronger, and racers boost them with so much N2O any other engine wouldn’t last 11 to 10 seconds.

Comment

It is an LS based motor, identical block design cast in iron instead of aluminum and cast iron sleeves. Equipped with an RV cam for more torque the LQ4 and LQ9 are much stronger, and racers boost them with so much N2O any other engine wouldn’t last 11 to 10 seconds.
              If referring to dressing a Lq9 motor with L3, yes but there are sudle differences but it's a mute point After I split my 5.0 block in half in my 91 mustang "saw the light" and went lq9. Cheapest and most fun car I ever had. Looked like a POS but boy was she fast

You forget about the rice burner motors that can take gobs of boost (2jz, RB**, etc :P)
              Planes
              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

I just bought a new Kia Sorento and I love it. Plenty of room for 3 or 4 planes.

Comment

Well over here in Europe car's a much smaller in general, but we still make it work. This was me last year (European version of the Ford Fusion, 1.8lt) bringing my personal collection of models from my parents in the UK over to The Netherlands and thank god I have a warehouse to store them in now ;) I do have a tow hook and trailer, the trailer is needed for those +3m models for sure, no fun just bringing one model to the field in the car alone. 8 models plus accessories in the car, that includes two 1/4 and one 1/3 scale model. NOT a trip I wish to repeat!

S.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-29 at 22.52.28.jpeg
Views:	498
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	192389

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-29 at 22.52.27(1).jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	192390

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-29 at 22.52.27.jpeg
Views:	529
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	192391

Attached Files

Comment

Late to the party but these are mine...the RV can carry north of 50 planes, the Ford Transit Connect can haul two 2000mm bombers and 3 or 4 smaller planes with the shelf in.

Name:	20180510_210918837_iOS.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	192409

Name:	20190419_222615383_iOS.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	192408

Name:	20170922_194645648_iOS.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	192411

Name:	20170922_194617947_iOS.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	192412

Name:	20170922_165605455_iOS.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	192410

TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

That is the way to do it George!!!

Bob

Comment

Now you are just showing off George ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                          Now you are just showing off George ;)
                          Ha, the RV was cheaper than a decent car...just a little work and these old RVs make great haulers...didn't you and James destroy one :P
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

2015 Ford Fiesta ST by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

I can haul 4-5 planes easily in my Fiesta hatchback, as long as they are UMX :P

A typical flying night has me taking 2-3 planes to the field at the most. One parkflier under 44", one 1.2m, and one UMX like the A-10 or P-51. The only planes I can't fit into the Fiesta are the Hobbyking 1875mm B-17's. I use my wife's Escape (Kuga for those across the ponds) to transport the B-17's, and only one at a time.

Comment

Here she is a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT 2dr 4x4. All I need is a 5x10 trailer and I may have to swap out the 5.7 Vortec for a third generation 6.0! This was the last year for the two door Tahoe and since it’s twenty years old it’s a classic. I’m stoked! :)

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Ha, the RV was cheaper than a decent car...just a little work and these old RVs make great haulers...didn't you and James destroy one :P
                                LOL, we put one to good use, it may have seen some wear after the fact ;)

Comment

The Action van(CVN-65). Gave my old work van a new life. She is much happier now.
                                  Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

I've been working on this for a couple weeks now. It's just about finished and so far I'm very happy with it. I can finally carry more planes to the field and not have to cover them with a blanket.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                      I've been working on this for a couple weeks now. It's just about finished and so far I'm very happy with it. I can finally carry more planes to the field and not have to cover them with a blanket.
                                      Very cool set up! I do like the weather station.

Comment

Thanks, Baron. The WX station is very nice to have.

Comment

I'm too old to worry about cool, so I went all in for my second vehicle. I bought an off lease 2016 FORD TRANSIT 350XLT 15 passenger van with less than 30,000 miles on it. I still have 8 passenger seats and a rear compartment that can hold 5 or more planes even my giant scale AEROWORKS YAK54 running on 44.4 volts.It makes a great hauler of people or cargo and gets 17.8mpg on regular gas. Drives great and fits in my garage with about 4 inches to spare.

Comment

Working...
                                          X