X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When does the crashing stop?

I love the pair this man has to ask what all us <smiley image="smiley_music.gif"/>newbie prop planters want 2 ask. you summed it up wonderfully right down to the knots in the belly..... I thought it would be fun but its more like driving dads new truck for the 1st time. I will grow at least 3 new gray hairs ever time i fly. I just wish it was on my head lol<smiley image="smiley_mustach.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

The day you discover that the crashing has actually 'stopped', please let us all know what you were flying so we can all get one!!!

Clear Skies

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

Think positively, "Now I have plenty of spare parts" Look at my pictures of Pandora one. That poor girl, well, chalk it up to a learning curve. First flight, oops, aileron controls reversed (broke rule number one "Preflight the heck out of them"), second flight loss of power and crash and burn, literally. Looks like debris left in the motor from crash number one (broke rule number two, "See Rule Number One")
        Pandora Two is all set to go, think I'll follow Rule Number One this time.
        Having said that. Ol' Weedwacker (My Hobbyzone Cub) and I have come to an agreement and now she cooperates on take off. I for some reason, don't seem to have too much trouble landing, I just watch the drop and roll the throttle back when on finally to about three clicks up, landing into the wind of course. This I chalk up to RealFlight Sim. The take offs aren't realistic in the Sim, but the landings are pretty good.
        If you haven't got the Flight Sim, try it
        Team Gross!

Comment

I just got in my second "complete" flight with my Airfield 800mm P-51. I say "complete" because in between the maiden flight and this one there have been five crashes of various intensity. Four on take-off, two ground launches, two hand launches and one crash due to a low speed stall that I could see coming a mile away. From every one of them I came away thinking "Man I screwed that up!". Each time I've learned something new about what not to do. I don't know if the crashing will ever completely stop but when I set that baby down nice and smooth this morning it was one hell of a rush. <smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

You have certainly experienced both sides of the RC hobby coin.
            The Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat followed by another thrill and eventually another defeat.
            However, in time you will realize more and more victories and the defeats will be fewer and farther between.

The key to the mint is to hang in there.......

I don't know if the 800mm P-51 is your first RC plane but if it is, you probably couldn't have pick a more difficult "starter" aircraft. Specifically, as you said, it exhibits aggressive slow stall speed characteristics, and in general it is a touchy warbird. I have flown this plane many times but, it was not until I had cut my teeth on a plane that was designed for learning, like the Flyzone Sensei. That being said, once/if you do master the P-51 (if it survives) you'll be in cruise mode after that.

Be sure to give yourself plenty of altitude, or what we call "mistake space" giving youself time and space to recover should your flight get erratic. Try to keep it a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while workings things out.

NEVER, be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of really great and experienced guys here on the forum eager to help. Use this tool to grow in the hobby.

Before you know it your RC flying will be one continuous rush!!!

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

Thanks Rocketeer.

It's not the first but it is by far the biggest. Getting it into the air has been more of the problem than actually flying it. <smiley image="anim_confused.gif"/> Altitude is definitely key and the importance of the pre-flight check. One of the crashes was on a seemingly easy hand launch. The plane wobbled all over for about twenty feet, rolled right, and went right in. After examination, even though the damage was all in the front of the aircraft I notice the clevis attached to the rudder was broken. I'm convinced that the rudder was basically flapping free and the clevis damage was pre-crash and I failed to notice it. Note to self...THOROUGH PRE-FLIGHT CHECK! <smiley image="anim_rules.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

Indeed, usually ignoring the pre-flight check ends up with cutting a new check to the hobby shop!!!

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
                in Okla.

Comment

When does the crashing stop? When all the pieces have come to a halt...

Comment

Greetings MB66,

I like it.......

Bill L.
                    in Okla.

Comment

Oor at least temporarily when you've run out of spare pieces
                      Hmmm, how badly do I want these pieces here? USPS,UPS Ground, UPS Air, UPS Beam them over Scotty??

Speaking of crashing, the Waco is all set to try again. Took some insurance and added a bit of wieght to the cowling. If the weather is fine tomorrow morning, I'll take her out to the new field and see what happens.
                      Off to Canada for my daughters wedding on Sunday. I'm going to have airplane withdrawal!!! Seriously considered taking one with me...

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Greetings G56,

Hey Man, you never mention you had a daughter about to tie the forever knot!!!
                        That's awesome!!!! Of course the important question is.... Does your new son-in-law fly RC??? Or is he at least willing to learn???

Anyway, Congratulations to you and them!!!! <smiley image="anim_claps.gif"/>

If you do take a plane, the Waco would look outstanding dragging a "Just Married" banner behind it on a fly-by.

Safe travel

Bill L.
                        in Okla.

Comment

Crashing? It never stops unless you stop flying. What I like to tell folks, "If you ain't crashing, you ain't flying." Even after 35+ years of flying R/C, I still crash one every once in a while. Usually while trying to push the envelope: like doing a roll with a 40" span plane at 19" altitude. Wing + ground is not usually a good thing. I know this may sound a bit off, but crashing a $200 foamy is bad. Crashing a $300 kit with a 100+ hours of build time and another $500 in parts and supplies is worse. I'm just a sport flier. Think about those turbine guys with $10K-$20K invested in their scale jets. Crash one of them and you have nothing but a fire ball and very little to salvage. OUCH!

Happy flying.

Comment

I agree totally with RonF on this one. This is why I stick to just the foamies. I am not much of a gambler, and not willing to put the time, energy, and multiple hours into building something I am really proud of only to see it auger in. I get a lot of joy flying these foam planes, and the details on them anymore are probably better than I could do anyway!

Comment

Congrats Gman !!!!
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Motorbill that's the best statement I've ever heard ! When the parts come to a stop <smiley image="smiley_happy.gif"/>
                                But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Agreed on Motorbill's definition of when the crashing stops.... Would make a great T-Shirt!!

Thanks Man, for the Vimeo vid. I always enjoy seeing the beautiful terrain you get to fly over.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                  in Okla.

Comment

LOL I'm glad you got it . I tried something a little different with the sound . I hate the sound of the air and bouncing on the ground so thought I'd give it a try .
                                    Hey still hoping to see something from you soon <smiley image="anim_drunk.gif"/>
                                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

I have been trying to get some decent video.
                                      My GoPro came with this crazy fish-eye kind of wide-angle lens and although it provides great hi-def video, it makes everything look really far away and tiny.

Very frustrating. On the bright side - my helmet cam mount worked as I'd hoped. Just got to change out the lens.

FYI, I liked the music as well...

Clear Skies

Bill L. in Okal.

Comment

Yeah I poor boy it sometimes when I sent a plane into a area where it may never return. We tried to fly into a hurricane like wind 1 months ago. But we will use a cheap old phone taped to the plane if the screen is cracked but still works y can craigslist them for 5 to 10 bucks.......just a idea

Comment

Never! Ive crashed or damaged every plane ive flown, you just get good at fixing them

Comment

Working...
                                          X