X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA Closing Fields

Tony just informed me that my home field in California, Apollo XI, has suspended all RC air flying, FOREVER, due to an order by the FAA. I'm still researching the details but I was told it's because the field is within 2 miles of an airport. Details as the situation develops can be found on our club's website :

Are any of your fields within 2 miles of a US airport? If so, are you also grounded? Is there anything we can do to help each other obtain whatever approvals are necessary to reopen?

Apollo was my RC home for nearly 20 years and has been a fixture in the RC community for over 70 years. It was where some of your favorite Freewing planes were birthed, and more importantly has hosted events promoting Aviation for longer than most of us have been alive. I'm hoping against hope that Apollo is reopened.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

A very sad situation indeed. I'm currently flying at an RC event in Little Rock, Arkansas and received this news via phone call from my dear friend/AMA Hall of Famer Tony Naccarato. To hear the sadness in his voice, knowing that he's been flying at Apollo Field for 70 years, was just heartbreaking. :(

I'm praying that the field will be reopened in the coming weeks.

Comment

Dang, i really hope yall get yalls field back. :(

Comment

Saw this thread and decided to check my club's website. Our field is in a local county park, and at the top of the club's web page I found this:"
        We have received word that 'drones' are currently banned throughout the park." Left a message asking if this includes the airfield and what the county classifies as a drone. Worst case scenario is that I'll be limited to flying helos and quads in my yard and holding a "yard sale" on the forum, unless my "backup field" finally come back on line.

Comment

Very sad to see this happen. My local club in Asheville, NC is losing it's site which is on an old landfill to a solar farm project by Duke Power. Being that flat land suitable for flying is hard to find in the mountains I am not very optimistic that we will secure a new location close enough to make the commute shorter than the current hour and 15 minutes I drive to go to TIA. Is the restriction that the FAA is imposing on Apollo based on proximity to a certain size airport? Even the AMA is located next to a small airport and technically Triple Tree is registered as a full size airfield if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Yes sir. Currently, flying is not authorized by the FAA at Apollo field. Sad news indeed. I was there last weekend at the jet event when the FAA officials were at Apollo. I posted some details in the F/A-18 90mm thread over the last few days as well. It's an odd feeling because both locations hold a special place in my heart as I learned to fly RC aircraft at Apollo, and learned to fly full sized aircraft at KVNY. Apollo's location to KVNY is a factor. Van Nuys airport is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world and in controlled airspace, and controlled airspace is much of what the FAA speaks of in their documentation of their new rules. After rough measurement on a digital map, Apollo is approximately 1.5 miles (1.3NM) from KVNY and the departing traffic from runways 16R/L and arriving traffic from 34L/R bring aircraft in the vicinity. On the FAA's map, the area Apollo is located shows a "0" altitude zone as well as the airspace quite a bit further than the field. If Apollo receives a LOA from the FAA to fly RC recreationally in the future, which may not occur, there is the likelyhood of a more strict altitude ceiling and further restrictions. Hopefully officials believe that RC flying can be safely performed at Apollo and integrated into the surrounding airspace. The club has been operating for many years, as Alpha mentioned, and many of us met one another there for the first time and became good friends.

Below are further details and links to information (may not be up to date as it could change after this posting) regarding the FAA regulations and their potential plans in the future for recreational flying (knowledge exam, LAANC use for flight authorization, etc.), the excel document that contains currently authorized "fixed sites" within controlled airspace to fly RC recreationally, and additional details. The "fixed sites" appear to be a temporary solution to fly RC recreationally at approved flying sites within controlled airspace as the eventual plan is said to use LAANC for authorization.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft

https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190601-002659_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	197587
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20190601_002445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	197588
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_130539.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	197591

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
              Yes sir. Currently, flying is not authorized by the FAA at Apollo field. Sad news indeed. I was there last weekend at the jet event when the FAA officials were at Apollo. I posted some details in the F/A-18 90mm thread over the last few days as well. It's an odd feeling because both locations hold a special place in my heart as I learned to fly RC aircraft at Apollo, and learned to fly full sized aircraft at KVNY. Apollo's location to KVNY is a factor. Van Nuys airport is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world and in controlled airspace, and controlled airspace is much of what the FAA speaks of in their documentation of their new rules. After rough measurement on a digital map, Apollo is approximately 1.5 miles (1.3NM) from KVNY and the departing traffic from runways 16R/L and arriving traffic from 34L/R bring aircraft in the vicinity. On the FAA's map, the area Apollo is located shows a "0" altitude zone as well as the airspace quite a bit further than the field. If Apollo receives a LOA from the FAA to fly RC recreationally in the future, which may not occur, there is the likelyhood of a more strict altitude ceiling and further restrictions. Hopefully officials believe that RC flying can be safely performed at Apollo and integrated into the surrounding airspace. The club has been operating for many years, as Alpha mentioned, and many of us met one another there for the first time and became good friends.

Below are further details and links to information (may not be up to date as it could change after this posting) regarding the FAA regulations and their potential plans in the future for recreational flying (knowledge exam, LAANC use for flight authorization, etc.), the excel document that contains currently authorized "fixed sites" within controlled airspace to fly RC recreationally, and additional details. The "fixed sites" appear to be a temporary solution to fly RC recreationally at approved flying sites within controlled airspace as the eventual plan is said to use LAANC for authorization.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft

https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20190601-002659_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	197587
              Click image for larger version Name:	20190601_002445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	197588
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190526_130539.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	197591
              So let me see if I got this right. Because my house is in one of the grids with a red 400, I can't even fly in my own yard?
              ADDENDUM: Installed B4UFLY, checked my location, can't fly in my own yard!
              Last edited by Valkpilot; Jun 1, 2019, 02:54 AM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

This is wrong...… :(:(:Not-Talking:

Comment

Sad to see such a historic site closed, however I'm not surprised...not much freedom left if you live in these large metropolitan areas :Straight-Face:
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

What about the AMA site in Muncie?

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
                      What about the AMA site in Muncie?

Comment

Has anyone from Apollo contacted AMA Goverment Affairs yet? They may be able to help. They've been helpfull with my ATC/FAA situation.

Comment

It is NOT closed forever, at least not yet. Club and FAA are trying to hammer out the details to reopen the field. There was a meeting with the FAA just Friday on the subject, and it seems there will probably have to be a few more before the final outcome. I figure we have a 50-50 chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstop View Post
                            It is NOT closed forever, at least not yet. Club and FAA are trying to hammer out the details to reopen the field. There was a meeting with the FAA just Friday on the subject, and it seems there will probably have to be a few more before the final outcome. I figure we have a 50-50 chance.
                            Not likely any of us are able to help, though I’m sure I speak for the majority in saying we would like to see things work out in the clubs’ favor.
                            Deer Valley Airport took the title of busiest GA airport from Van Nuys in ~2008 or so. That airport is due east of our field and we are located just inside the edge of their Class D and above that airspace is Sky Harbor Class B. I know the mountains form a bowl around our model field but we still have always had a 400’ limit since the club began in the 80’s. Of the average 565 takeoff and landings per day, use of runway 7R is usually the approach used only in the morning due to local winds. That puts aircraft on published final approach segments beginning directly over our field at 1500’ AGL. Departure to the west is seldom an issue as most traffic is routed more to the northwest. But there are many times I have been extended when in the traffic pattern and can look down at our field.

Suffice to say say all of our club has heard of the dilemma you face and we are grateful to still maintain our site. We do also maintain open communication with FAA tower manager as well as The FSDO nearby. Grab all the community support you can reach out for and know that many of us are in your corner and would take part in providing any resources we can.:Thinking:

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

So let me see if I got this right. Because my house is in one of the grids with a red 400, I can't even fly in my own yard?
                              ADDENDUM: Installed B4UFLY, checked my location, can't fly in my own yard!
                              Might have come up with a loophole. I'm wondering if these new rules apply to aircraft LESS than 250g? Sent an e-mail to the FAA, awaiting response. If it doesn't, then I can fly in my yard, and at another park when it re-opens, but only small quads, helos, and UMX planes. Though half a loaf is better than none.

Comment

I read about at possibility that the FAA may prohibit flying of RC "drones" higher than 200 feet, currently the general limit is 400 feet and the blanket term "drones" is under discussion. The proliferation of recreational and commercial/government multi-rotor and FPV flying has complicated RC model flying and is restricting sailplane and other activity. AMA is trying to preserve our hobby but needs your attention and support/participation as the only "voice" we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Might have come up with a loophole. I'm wondering if these new rules apply to aircraft LESS than 250g? Sent an e-mail to the FAA, awaiting response. If it doesn't, then I can fly in my yard, and at another park when it re-opens, but only small quads, helos, and UMX planes. Though half a loaf is better than none.
                                  UPDATE: Got an email back that was clear as mud. Sent a reply with specifics, including a list of the aircraft and their weights. But might have an out as I've found a park not under the grid, but not big enough for fixed wing operations.

Comment

Thanks for digging into this, Valkpilot.
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      Thanks for digging into this, Valkpilot.
                                      Not quite out of the woods yet. My "Alpha" site may be shutting down and the "Beta" site is definitely a no-no. Backup backup site is questionable, but only large enough for rotary wing operations. I may just switch to tanks.:)

Comment

Screw them!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fly free or die...…………:Not-Talking:

Comment

Working...
                                        X